Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bandwagon--Kinda

My Younger Younger Brother and his wife are expecting a baby in January.

Although they are not going to find out the sex (even though they have ultrasounds every month--and I'm convinced they're going to see boy or girl parts by accident one day), I knit them a baby sweater.

YYB's wife is German. Real German. Not that stupid "My Great Great Grandmother's Cousin's dog was 50% German" you hear people talk about who have been in the U.S. a while.

She's got German pride as much as I have Alaskan pride. And she absolutely HATES Alaska (where they're living right now).

Despite this and her mildly insulting edict that when they name their kid they will be coming up with a new name because "They recycle glass, batteries and paper--not names," (my name, Dr. Mad Scientist's name and Chunky's names are all "recycled") I knit them a baby sweater.

And finally, despite the fact I knit her a scarf two years ago for Christmas that she doesn't wear because it's allegedly "too itchy," I knit them a baby sweater.

And it's a bandwagony sweater.

000_0189

It's the Dream In Color Tulip Baby Sweater.

I knit it in the German flag colors. I'm sure they'll have a girl and this will get tossed away never to be worn.

But it doesn't matter, because where I come from--we recycle names and we don't waste good yarn on people who complain it's "too scratchy." It's made of Red Heart. No loss if it ends up as a dust rag.

Honestly I was shooting for Vanna's Choice or Wool Ease, but Red Heart had the best colors.

The details:

Pattern: Dream in Color Tulip Baby Cardigan

Yarn: Red Heart in red, gold and black

Needles: US 7 and US 6

Notes: I didn't obviously employ the graded color changes this sweater calls for. Nor did I do the seed-stitch rows that occur where the colors change. That was basically because I forgot and by the the time I got to the end of the second stripe, I remembered and didn't feel like frogging back. I liked it with the smooth stripes.

This is the first time I've ever done an applied i-cord edging. I think I'm in love! I am infatuated with the clean solid non-rolling stability it gives!

So there you have it.

A German baby sweater for the baby with the name Kadadfiddsoo (because if you're not going to recycle a name, it had better be completely original!), who will probably never wear it.

Now onto make a baby sweater for Dr. Mad Scientist's brother who's wife is chucking out Spawn #2 in October. They had been living in Virginia (not really cold) but their financial mistakes caught up with them and they declared bankruptcy before they could forclose on their house and fled to Alaska where they're living in my mother in law's basement.

It's been a cold Alaskan summer and I know that basement gets cold--winter will probably be worse.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That baby sweater is sooooooooo cute!! Hey how is the baby going to know that it is too itchy? That is a really cute and the stripes match and everything. Knit on! Love, Mom

PS: I can't believe that I am the first on to comment.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I like the colors, and why can't a girl wear it? Really, pair it up with a cute white turtleneck and it will look great!

You crack me up! :)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

The sweater is great and I think a girl can definitely wear it.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

Very cute sweater! And if they don't recycle names, maybe they won't buy into gender colored clothing either. So hopefully, she'll use it even if the baby is a girl.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous MNKNIT said...

I'd wear that bad boy with some black pants, and I'd put it on either of my grrls with said same.
Seriously, they better love it.

Is there a thing that you CAN'T rock? Just askin'?

MNKNIT

2:23 PM  
Blogger trek said...

Well, I think it's cute and I wouldn't have a problem putting it on a girl baby.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I like it. And all of my children have recycled names. They all have bits of family history in their names and they like it. It makes them feel like they belong. I applaud your generosity in making a sweater for someone who doesn't wear your other handknits. I would put that sweater on a girl. It's cute.

6:21 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

If people didn't recycle names, we'd all be walking around calling each other crap like Apple and Pilot. Or, as I once heard on Friends, Princess Consuela Bananahammock. Now there's a thought...

6:43 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I gather this chick isn't tops on your favorite in-law list. Heh. It's a cute sweater though. Very thoughtful. I hope she appreciates it!

7:54 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Totally bandwagony!! Well, except the colors make it totally original at the same time! I love it and baby whatsherhisface will look adorable in it hopefully!!

Piss off the Bez...and you get acrylic!! Love it!!

11:08 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to agree that the colors would work for a girl or a boy. I mean, it's not like the edging is blue or you've embroidered boy names all over it...

But yeah, I use the more economical yarns when turning out stuff that may not make the receiver's (or their mom's) fashion cut.

It's much more fun to knit for people who will wear whatever you give them, though.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Maybe they should name the kid Red Heart!

It's a darling sweater. It'd put it on a girl as well.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love that sweater, and I'm sorry that your SIL's attitude toward all of your hard work is so ... lukewarm ;). I have several German friends, who have similar attitudes about most things, and I lived in Germany for one-tenth of my life. They (the Germans) can be rather haughty ... if not "entertaining."

10:07 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

It's a great sweater. I am sure she will love it.

Hey! Don't dis my heritage! I have TWO pure German great-grandparents and that genetic stuff gets handed down. Nothing else to explain my love of sauerkraut and wurst. ;-)

Of course I can blame 6 other ethinicities for my other problems! That is what ancestors are for!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Stickyfingers said...

My little girl would totally wear that! I like the unexpected nature of anything NOT pastel on a baby.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

What a lovely sweater - I'd definitely put it on my daughter!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Only another knitter could appreciate the insult of gifting a red heart sweater!!! Ha ha- We all snicker in our sleeves over it.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Your baby sweater is adorable! I love the colors.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

It's a great sweater, and with those colors either a boy or girl could wear it.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Of course, now that you said they are having a girl, they will have a boy, you know that, right? Although, I just pointed that out, so it will now be a girl again. But now that I said that, it means it's probably a boy...jeez, we could be here a while....

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice sweater! I could see a girl or a boy in it.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home