Friday, August 22, 2008

Idiots Love Idiots

My public apologies to Comcast (although one would think they'd have idiots like us calling them and would ask a simple question about our connectivity).

It was our fault the modem died.

When Dr. Mad Scientist unhooked the old hard drive and hooked up the new one--he unplugged the modem with it. Dumbass.

So when I tried to connect to the internet, my connection was extremely spotty the first night and kept going in and out on me.

The next morning after dealing with Tech Support, the modem was completely dead (no power whatsoever).

I called them on Tuesday to schedule a repair. Friday was the earliest either I or Dr. Mad Scientist could be home to receive Mr. Comcast Repairman.

They gave me a window of 9-11 a.m. that they'd be here. 9:00 a.m. rolled around, I looked out the window and Mr. Comcast rolled up in his van.

He comes up, sits down on my funky unvacuumed floor, and asks:

"Where's the power cord?"

Me: "Are you fucking kidding me???"

I rummage around in the detrius cast off by Dr. Mad Scientist when he was installing the new hard drive and lo and behold, there was the power cord to the modem.

Sigh.

So yeah, two weeks without the internet more or less. One week was entirely Dr. Mad Scientist's fault (the virus/trojan) and one was partially my fault.

I assumed that because it was getting power that night it was spotty, it was plugged in.

Ends up each modem has a backup battery. That's why it was still working without a powercord. Dumbass.

But hey, we're connected for real now and I installed my camera software!

So I'll leave you with something I spun during my two week internet vacation:

100_6184

What kind of fiber is it?

I'll give you a hint: Meow.

See what happens when I'm unplugged and left to my own devices???

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that is what Squeaky's fur looks like when you spin it.

Yes! Idiots do LOVE Idiots!!! But that is what adds spice to LIFE! Thanks for the laugh!!
Love, Mom

8:23 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

You did not spin cat hair! I have seen videos of people sitting and pulling hair off of rabbits and spinning it but not cats. Squeaky must have some long hair. The first think Pk always asks me when I complain about the internet service is "is it plugged in?".

8:42 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I didn't know you could spin cat hair.

LOL at the modem! I think we all have those dumbass moments. I hope the cable company didn't charge you for coming to your house.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I didn't know you could spin cat hair.

LOL at the modem! I think we all have those dumbass moments. I hope the cable company didn't charge you for coming to your house.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

One of our favorite jokes at our house is,"when all else fails, plug it in". Now guess why we say it all the time.. Yeah, learned that one the hard way.....

CAt hair? You spun cat hair? How hard was it? I have heard it's difficult as it is a short fibre. But I DO have 3 furmeisters around here to scalp...

10:27 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I just remembered something really dumb I did once. I took my car to my garage because the windshield wiper fluid stopped coming out. when they calle dme at home, they said,"You did realize the reservoir was empty, right?"

10:29 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I bet you were just dying of embarrassment when that little problem came to light, eh? Oh well.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Welcome back! That spinning gives whole new meaning to the exchange, "What fer (for)?" "Cat fur." Sorry. It's southern thing ;).

Anyway, when you get a chance, come on over for a visit. I have something for you ;).

10:55 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

uoHee hee Cat Hair!!! I bet is very soft.

Glad you are back up and running.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Doh!

Now, what will you make with the catspun?

6:34 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

100% Meow? Or did you card it with some wool? I'll admit to keeping a plastic baggie of the boys fur that I've been adding to. Someday I'll spin it.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

When you call for tech support here they always talk you through checking your connections... I would never have guess a modem has a backup battery though!

When left alone for two weeks you have once again tried something totally different! I love it!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

The first two rules of computer repair/trouble shooting:
1. RTFM (read the fucking message)
2. CTFP (check the fucking plug)

Those boy smartass rules brought to by our company's IT person, Mr. Mag. (Never had to pay an IT person's salary yet.)

Glad you got your connection back.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

OMG, YOU SPUN THE CAT.

I'm never sleeping over...

10:56 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I can't believe you spun cat hair! For some reason, it brings to mind a line from Meet the Parents - "I have nipples. Does that mean you could milk me?" I'm not sure why (other than being a perv), but I think it's the idea of doing something that might work in theory, but not for real. And then of course, you went and did it!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Don't feel bad about the Comcast thing - it's no worse than when my husband worked as a maintenance man at our condo complex and this guy called him in the middle of the night, screaming that his refrigerator wasn't working, and all his food was warm, and my husband gets over there and the thing is unplugged. It would have been nice if the guy had checked that first before waking my husband up.

My cat won't even let me brush her - last time I tried, she bit me. Half the time she doesn't even let me pet her. You've got some patient cat if she'd let you gather all that fur from her.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Don't feel bad about the Comcast thing - it's no worse than when my husband worked as a maintenance man at a condo complex where we used to live, and this guy called him in the middle of the night, screaming that his refrigerator wasn't working, and all his food was warm, and my husband gets over there and the thing is unplugged. It would have been nice if the guy had checked that first before waking my husband up.

My cat won't even let me brush her - last time I tried, she bit me. Half the time she doesn't even let me pet her. You've got some patient cat if she'd let you gather all that fur from her.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe, loving the comments!! Well, glad you are back! Hmmm bet the spinning o'cat hair will keep the stuff from going other places huh? :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh kitty yarn! how exciting. congrats on getting the interwebs back.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Glad you're back. The kittyspun looks great - is it 100% or a blend? Topcoat, undercoat, or both? How does it feel?

10:21 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I swear I now have visions of the cat missing chunks of fur....bald patches. Him looking over his back for you and your spinning wheel LOL

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home