Monday, August 04, 2008

Salsa! Not Seltzer!

Oof.

Again, I had this wonderful idea I would sit down and blog poetically about my adventures in canning salsa this weekend.

But I'm chasing tail tonight due to one of my tires going flat and helping Dr. Mad Scientist change it. I would have changed it myself before I got home, but yeah, he struggled with loosening the lugnuts. I'm not sure I would have been able to do it myself.

And as luck would have it--when we put the donut on--guess what else has had a slow leak? Ah delightful.

At least the mechanic is literally only 2 blocks away. I'll just limp the car there tomorrow morning and drive Dr. Mad Scientist's car to work (which he has informed me likes to stall at red lights so you have to put it into neutral each time you come to a complete stop...ha ha!)

Chunky informs me that "Now [I'll] fit in with all the New Jersey people." because apparently he's seen a lot of people with flat tires around here. Hee hee.

But on to salsa!

Jersey tomaters are ripe--so I stocked up on plum and beefsteak (ok, so maybe not the best for salsifying) at the Montclair Farmer's Market.

I also scored all those jalepenos you see for $1. The tomatoes were like $6.

100_6149

Skinning the tomaters was quite fun. I had only ever read about it and I only burned my fingers once.

After I skinned the tomaters, I chopped all my ingredients up.

100_6150

I love my husband, but for the life of him, he can NEVER get a non-blurry shot when the camera is in his hands.

Here's everything chopped.

100_6152

Aye de mi!

Then you let the mixture trip out on some acid.

100_6153

And in the meantime, I had taken all my washed jars and set them to soak in a warm bath of water in my kettle.

100_6155

Start heating your salsa.

100_6154

10 minutes before the salsa was done (you let it simmer for 10 minutes after it reaches a boil), I pulled my jars out of their hot tub and laid them out to dry.

Then I filled the jars.

100_6158

I only got 4 pints, which is about right. I halved the recipe. It called for a yield of 7-9 pints.

100_6159

Then I set my pretties a'boiling in their bath.

100_6160

After 15 minutes of boiling, I cooled them and tested their seals--they sealed!!

Of course 4 pints is nothing for us. We're salsa fiends. I've already used a pint in the crock pot chili we had for dinner tonite.

Definately a fun learning experience and I can't wait to make more salsa and of course experiment with backyard apple applesauce.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger Rebel said...

wow - good for you! I only ever make fresh salsa (pico de gallo actually), but cooked salsa would be a good way to save all that tomatoey goodness!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I had a flat once. Neither the hubby nor I together could get the lug nuts off. We called our roadside assistance and the strapping young man had to use one of those things that looks like a giant "x". He sat on the ground, put the end on the lug nut, pushed with his feet and pulled with his arms (Did I mention he was built?) and even he had trouble getting them off. Afterwards, I thanked him and he said that some garages use an "impact gun" to put the lug nuts on. Which is to say a compressed air wrench. How is anyone supposed to get the tire off in case of a flat? My hubby worked in a shop for not quite a year in his misspent youth and kept muttering about how they should be screwed on "finger-tight". Which means by hand, so you can get the damn things off if you have to.

Hope it goes well and cheaply for you tomorrow!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

I have to try that! It looks awesome.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That salsa looks good! Great price on the jalapenos too. I'm ashamed to say I can't change a flat tire. I only owned a car (well 2 of them) for about 2 years and luckily the only time it had a flat was when hubby was driving it.

p.s. i'm going to seaside...staying at the holiday inn in toms river.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Yum. I love salsa!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Ohhh, drooling now! It's fun to make salsa! Yay they sealed! :)

10:08 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

Oh my dad. My mouth is watering just looking at your salsa.

Have a dip-out for me!

11:09 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Delish!! I just need some tortilla chips to go with this post and I'd be a happy girl!!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Your salsa so delicious that now I'm actually hungry.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Tex-mex party at Bezzie's house? Have you thought of trying to make jam? I love coming up with jam flavours (blends, really) that you wouldn't find in the grocery store. My Mom makes a mean blackberry-raspberry jam. Or chutney! I love mango chutney and samosas... hmm. I think I need to go out for Indian food again.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yum! Salsa! Hubby should be making some with the jalapenos from our garden today.

I wouldn't know how to change a flat if you paid me. I'll just keep my legs shaved and a low cut shirt in the car and hope some strapping young man will stop and help me. :)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I love homemade salsa. I make it once a year!

Sorry about the flat tire! That sucks. I know how to change a flat, but I am so freaking wimpy, that I don't believe I could get lug nuts off either. But Dr MS was to the rescue! Yay!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Very cool! I am willing my cucumbers to grow faster so we can try making pickles.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That's some damned good looking salsa! Way to go Bezzie!

Applesauce is way easier than salsa. It'll be nothing for you now that you've done the complicated recipe first ;).

9:19 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Yum. Yumyumyum. :)

10:28 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Yum! Great cans! Er, I mean, canning.

LOL - Hubster's missing the photo focus gene as well! Man can re-wire a house but can't figure out how to focus a goddam picture. *sigh*

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know why everyone likes Salsa?
So you are fitting in to NJ jsut fine. Glad that Chunkie is keeping you all up with the Jones. You would never know without him.
Moose got our salsa this morning.
Because everyone likes to say "SALSA, SALSA, SALSA"!!
Love, Mom

10:40 AM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

Hey! I canned some pickled banana peppers/jalapenos last weekend. They have to sit for 2 weeks before tasting though (I'll blog about it then). Your salsa looks fantastic! I love homemade jellies. Anything canned would make for a great Christmas gift if you're looking for ideas.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

This local grower movement may turn out great for those living in temperate moist climates. Great you could get locally grown jalapenos.
Beautiful salsa.

12:12 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I've always wanted to try canning salsa and pickles. I'm trying to talk my hubby into building me a fenced in (deer proof) garden for next year.

If he does we can do a salsa swap or something.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I always wanted to learn to can things. We used to make tangerine marmalade when it was time to pick those- my father had about 15 tangerine trees, there's only so many you can give away...

2:16 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Great salsa! I think I must try canning stuff.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey salsa! I don't think I had any until I was way into my teens...My family was a chile (cheelay) house...the stuff could take paint off walls...

Urgh about the tire(s)...Yes, compressed air/impact guns are what my brother uses at his work. "Cuz otherwise people won't come back to have us change the tires." Urgh.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Looks fabulous!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That looks so good!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

You're missing the cilantro! It gives it ALL THE TASTE! Take it back out the jars and do it all over again with cilantro! HEHEHEHEHE

I admire your old-style culinary skillz. You haz gots mad lots of those.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home