Saturday, August 02, 2008

Shetland Shitty

I'm chugging along on the Shetland Shorty.

But I'm not really feeling it.

100_6148

If you look closely you'll see I somehow effed some rows up there. And I just don't feel like frogging it. It's hot, and sticky and the last thing I want to do is mess with frogged lace.

And the more I think about it, the more I think that right now, this funky lace pattern is a great knit-illustration of life at the Bezidence right now.

Things are a bit weird and rocky right now. Not between me and Dr. Mad Scientist--but with him and Mt. Sinai.

Three weeks ago he was told by HR to expect his formal 90-day notice (they are nice enough to give you 90 days to find a new job).

So we've waited, planned, and prepared ourselves for the "official" notice.

But it hasn't come.

In fact about a week after his meeting with HR and being told to expect his notice because apparently his boss told HR "it wasn't working out," his boss writes him this scathing email ticking off all the ways he sucks: he can't manage his time (dude, not to use it as a crutch, but he's got ADD, he can't manage his time doing ANYTHING!), he sucks at this, he sucks at that.

And then at the end of the email she writes: But I'm thinking about extending your stay at my lab.

Say what??? That's not what HR said a week before!!!

Cut to this past week--he gets an email from her asking him officially to stay on longer.

At this point I'm just highly effin' amused.

I know what I would do. I would tell her that sure, I'd stay. But in the meantime, I'd be exploring other options--I'd just leave that part out and not tell her.

So he told her that he would stay, but unlike me, he told her that he still has some options out there that he's exploring.

This is where we differ.

He's all into the honesty thing with AA and whatnot. Which is cool. But I see this whole situation as kind of a game you have to play. Like poker. You don't show your whole hand.

I don't know if this makes me less honest by withholding something or just more jaded since I have been out in the workforce a lot longer than him. If you want to get technical, this Mt. Sinai job is his very first "real" job since he shovelled popcorn and bussed tables in high school/college.

But whatever, if he thinks showing her his hand is something he needs to do--so be it.

So what does this have to do with Shetland Shorty?

My lace pattern seems to be experiencing some rocky periods and like he is with his job, I feel like I'm in limbo with the pattern like he feels with his job.

And just like we both want the job situation to be resolved--I want this pattern to be completed NOW!

But like he told his boss--he's got other options out there (I won't blog about those til they become a bit more solid, if at all), and I know that eventually I'll get Shetland Shorty done.

Before I go--and update on the Bank of America situation. The money DID post today. Which is weird because apparently the landlord cashed the rent check the same day he got it and so did Chunky's school with his summer tuition. Those weren't posted as "pending" in my checking at all online (sometimes they are).

I guess the moral of the story is: don't trust what you see online--ha ha!

Stay tuned--we visited the Montclair Farmer's Market after I read about it on Jersey Knitter's blog. Holy cow, what a great place!! It's huge and literally 5 minutes away from us.

I picked up some jalepenos and some big fat Jersey tomaters. I think I'll pop my canning cherry tomorrow (the weather is only supposed to be in the mid 80's--how "cool"!).

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I would have told them I would stay and kept my mouth shut at other opportunities I was looking into. Sometimes, honesty is NOT the best policy.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous joymama said...

Ms. Bezzie I'd play it just like you as far as the job situation goes but it's nice that you support Dr. MS like you do.

Great analogy to the shetland shorty pattern.

Awesome farmer's market. Glad it's close and easy to get to for you.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Rip the lace - you know it will bug you if you don't.

I'd also be with you on the job search front. Gotta look after numero uno.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

I'm with you, sweetcheeks. I've never told a boss that I'm exploring other options while I'm still working for him. That's just cutting your own throat. Management tends to overlook people who are looking for something better for small things - like raises and promotions. I hope he finds the place he's meant to be at, where he'll be happy and productive. I have to applaud him for his honesty, though - that shows he's taking the AA stuff seriously. I'm happy for both of you (and Chunky). :)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I wouldn't ever tell my boss about other options either. Its not really lying if you ask me because the boss didn't come right out and ask if he was exploring other options.

Glad to hear the moolah cashed.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with everyone else here. I would never tell the higher up that I was looking for something better. What the heck! Was she PMSing when she wrote him that one e-mail? Very unprofessional, I hope that he saved that e-mail.
Hey! I have my own little farmers market going right now.....AND I have sprouts coming up!!! Love, Mom

2:27 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I definately would not have told them I had other options. Just like I wouldn't tell the Shorty that you are going to start swatching for the February Lady (right? right? you know you want to!).

Yay for a great farmer's market!! Can't wait to hear about it!

2:36 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Meh, I wasn't feeling my Shetland Shorty, so I frogged it. It's quite exhilarating, reducing something you're not enjoying back to the ball! Too bad we can't do that with life!

His boss took an interesting approach. "You suck ass, but I'm keeping you." Maybe it wasn't honesty, but a rightbackatcha Dr M.S. was working there! ;)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

I'll never understand what's in pending or not. I honestly wish everything just automaically debted. I don't trust online pending weirdness.

I would've been tempted to be like Dr MS,but just because she was so bitchy, not because I'm honest. Mine would've been more of a "suck it lady!" kinds response. But then I would've chickened out and just said "I'll stay.". I hope his other oppurtunities work out!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

I don't think keeping your other opportunities to yourself is being dishonest - it's just not information she really needs to know. MS is allowed to look for another job regardless if he's had problems with Mt Sinai or not. We all do it. Hell I just got a call from a head hunter at work yesterday! Too bad I don't want to live in Atlanta....

7:44 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I'm very much jaded like you, and that is not dishonesty. I am very honest, but it is one of those "don't ask -- don't tell" things in my book. I hope something works out for you all soon.

Sorry about shetland shitty. I cannot find your mistake, but really, I don't look to hard at other people's work to find flaws ;) Thing is, if you really don't like it, finishing it will not acheive a whole lot. Rip it, rip it good.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I agree with pretty much everyone. I wouldn't say anything about other options either. Unless I had one in hand and was trying to pressure current employer into something.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

In the job dept., I would play my cards very close to my chest. I have told my immediate supervisor when I've sent out resumes sometimes. Sometimes, I don't tell anyone. It's not their business.

I think lace is beautiful but one of the most frustrating exercises on the planet. And here I am planning to do some more. Not a fast learner here.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ah, mid 80s... a girl can dream...

I'm with you- I would have said thank you, I will stay and kept looking in the meantime, unless people would be calling for references and all that? Hmmm, maybe he's on to something with that honesty...

4:29 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Thanks for the shout-out - I'm glad you enjoyed the farmers' market.

Sorry there's so much shitty right now. Under the circumstances, I tend to think candid is better. Let's hope the other options solidify!

9:17 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

My husband went both ways on the "other opportunities" thing recently. First time he had interviews, he was straight-up with his boss and told her why he was taking the afternoon off. For about two weeks, he was thrown under the bus for random things and treated differently.

So the second time he had an interview, it was all "radio silence." Of course, that's the job he got! Last day at current semi-sucky job is Wednesday, he starts at the new gig on the 25. I know this sounds all Pollyanna, but I believe it: the Universe has a plan. You just need to take a deep breath and step back to wait for it! Good luck! :)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Yikes, hang in there!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Willemtje said...

Honesty is fine in theory in situations like this. Unfortunately bosses seldom return the favour. Twice at the beginning of my teaching career I was tricked by employers and that taught me a valuable lesson: Keep your mouth shut about looking for other options, after all you are not obliged to tell them, are you? The best of luck with your husband's job and happy knitting.

A Dutch knitter

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home