Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Spawn, Take 2

So remember when I blogged that my Younger Younger Brother's wife was expecting a kid in January?

And I knit their unisexual baby a German Tulip Sweater?

And do you remember when I went to Maryland Sheep and Wool and bought a bunch of Koigu at Rosie's Yarn Cellar?

And remember when I mentioned that Dr. Mad Scientist's brother's wife was also expecting a baby (the sequel to their Spawn* daughter whom I knit a sweater for last year when she was born)?

Well as much as I bite my tongue about their ideas of parenting and functioning as members of society in general (oooohhhh, it's killing me not to go on a tangental rant right now...but ranting won't do anything productive and it's not my place to cast stones...) I knit their baby boy to be (this October) a sweater as well.

100_6218
Pardon the lack of blocking.

Pattern: Tulips Baby Cardigan by Dream in Color

Yarn: Koigu mill ends (colors unknown, and they just number them anyway, yawn!)

Needles: US 3 and 2

Notes: When I saw the mill ends of Koigu at Rosie's I knew they would be perfect for this sweater since it gets expensive buying lots of yarn only to use them for a few rows in each color. But ahem, I won't tell you how much this baby sweater cost me to knit. While it was cheap to buy Koigu mill ends at 15 cents an ounce--it adds up quick!

The pattern starts at the smallest size of 6 to 9 mos. (the size I knit the German Tulips Sweater). I thought about swatching and doing some math to account for the vast difference between sock weight yarn and worsted weight, but I decided instead to just go for it.

The gamble (who am I kidding--my laziness to do math and swatch) paid off. Yes, this sweater is MUCH smaller than the 6-9 mo. worsted weight sweater. However, it will fit a 0-3 mo. baby perfectly.

Oh, I also didn't do the sleeve decreases. It's a baby sweater--does anything fit their weird body shapes all that well?

I gotta say, I love this pattern. I might use it as a basis for a big-boy version of a sweater for Chunky except with a button-band.

Here's a better version of the colors:

100_6214

I also find it quite hilarious that my first Tulips was made from the lowliest of low Red Heart and this one from the highly coveted Koigu!

As per this difference--I'm posting these to The Place That Shall Not Be Named. Normally I don't like to add more white noise to over-knit patterns, but scrolling through the Tulips on there, as much as I do love the kit-yarn that this sweater is often made with, I think more beyond-the-kit colors and yarns need to be represented.

Stay tuned, I'm about to finish hat number 5 of 6 for the B6 Clan!

*Despite the Spawn monniker, their daughter is quite the cutie, but I needed a blog name!

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

A Koigu baby sweater! How luxurious is that? No one has to know (except for all the people who read the blog) that you used mill ends. It looks good. The colors are perfect and the size will be perfect for now unless the baby is super-sized.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You certainly get extra points, taking the high road and knitting a cool sweater for the baby without a public rant about the parents. You're a better woman than I.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Ooh - I love the idea of using Koigu mill ends for that! And it's gorgeous - the colors are awesome.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Like Pam said, the colors are great. The cost involved doesn't matter. The thought you put into the sweater does :0

8:30 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that is a really cute sweater. maybe after the spawn grows out of it the parents can just frame it and hang it on the wall. ok, i would do something like that, but i'm weird.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

very cute sweater I like the yarns you chose, a bit of a change up from the ones I've seen. I hope they love it!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I love the sweater! This is so weird - but in the quilt you've posed it on I recognized the red with specks fabric (sort of watermelon-looking) as the same fabric I have used in my quilt! Great minds think alike!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Beautiful baby sweater!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous sweater! I love the colors!

I definitely would have put something like that on my son when he was a baby. He won't wear sweaters now - he says they're too hot, and for some reason he hates hoodies that pull over the head (which rules out the idea I had of crocheting him a hoodie sweater). Must be a 5 year old thing.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That sweater turned out quite nice! I really like the colors. For a minute there I thought that you were going to say that "Spawn,Take 2" had arrived!!! That would be a little early would it not? Keep on knitting. Love, Mom

11:24 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Great idea for the mill ends! I like the yarns you've used so far, glad you posted them to you know where too, so that others know. :)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

It's lovely - you did a wonderful job with the colours.

Maybe I'll have to try that sweater - I'm kind of board with the one I had been knitting.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Llamabean said...

Great sweater! It turned out lovely.
The colors are great together.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Those Koigu mill ends go very niceky together. What a great little sweater.

7:31 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Very cute! Excellent way to use those mill ends!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Cute sweater!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

great sweater, great colours, great price, great that it's going to the place :0)

11:06 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

What a lucky little spawn! I love the color selcetion. It is a totally cute little pattern. Hopefully you'll at least get to see the little guy wearing it.

6:16 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I need to knit this! Still haven't! Both of yours are too cute and I love the yarn choices :) I agree too to posting the pics in the place that shall not be named....always nice to see people changing up the yarn!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ooooo! That is one lucky baby!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Nice sweater!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home