Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Day of Fall!

We really lucked out this summer--there might have been three weeks tops where the temperatures were digusting and unbearable (95 deg. plus). But that doesn't stop me from rejoycing that fall is officially here!

Yesterday I "celebrated" the last day of summer by canning some applesauce and roasting some pumpkins.

100_6271

First I started with the two sugar pumpkins I bought from the farm stand.

I cut them in half and set Chunky to work de-seeding them.

100_6272

As you can tell from his jammies, I started early on Saturday (about 10:00 a.m. which is early to me!)

After Chunky seeded them, I scraped the rest of the guts out put the pumpkin halves on my jelly roll (or you could use a cookie sheet) pan.

100_6275

I flipped 'em upside down,

100_6276

Added about 2.5 cups of water to the bottom of the pan, and covered the whole thing with foil.

100_6277

I then popped it into the oven for an hour at 375 degrees.

Don't worry, the seeds were roasted!

100_6278

While I was waiting for the pumpkins to roast, I prepped the apples for the applesauce.

I need a bigger stock pot. I only got 5 pints of applesauce--I had enough apples for 8 pints, but I ran out of room in my stock pot!

100_6279

I added a bit of water to the apples and put them on low heat.

100_6281

While they were cooking, the pumpkin finished.

100_6280
Steamy!

I worked on the applesauce--smashing it (it came out chunky style, but that's OK) and canning it--while the pumpkin cooled.

After it cooled, it was easy to scoop the pumpkin flesh off of the rind with a spoon.

100_6282

I tossed the pumpkin in my mini-food processor that someone gave us when we got married (it never had a card, so the gifter remains unthanked), and pureed the pumpkin.

100_6284

I measured out the pumpkin into 1 cup portions and stuck it in ziploc bags to freeze (since most pumpkin recipes call for 1 cup denominations of pumpkin).

100_6287

After starting at 10:00 a.m.--I finished up at 3:00 p.m. (this includes the time to wash all the dishes created by said applesauce canning and pumpkin pureeing).

100_6288

I ended up with 6 and 3/4 cups of pumpkin and 5 pints of applesauce. The lighter jars are "plain" applesauce and the darker ones have cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg added. We cracked open a jar of the plain stuff to have as a side to our grilled porkchops last night--and YUM! is all I can say.

It's amazing how sweet it is. Those commercial applesauces have got to be adding sugar to their applesauce. Gross!

Tomorrow I'll give you a WIP update on February Lady since that's basically the only thing I'm working on. I've also doing another Bezzie Bottom Market Bag for my college friend for Christmas, but those are even more boring in WIP form than a sweater.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Applesauce, yum! You're really ambititious with the canning! I have no cooking/baking skills, so I guess I have to live vicariously through yours, LOL!

11:13 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Happy first day of fall!!!! And what a way to start! The applesauce looks delicious!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh great! Now I want pumpkin bread, seeds, and your applesauce! Great idea on freezing the 1 cup portions too!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Now I'm hungry! It all looks so good.

11:55 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hehehe, Chunky looks *thrilled* to be de-seeding pumpkins. ;) I'm guessing though that he loved it? Sticky gooey messy - the boy fun trifecta!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Preserving is such a lot of work, but boy, it's worth it.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That applesauce looks delicious! SMart way to freeze the pumpkin flesh. I'm sure there will be lots of great pumpkin pies and bread in the future.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yay, Fall! I love any season that has my birthday in it ;)

Bezzie, I wish I were as industrious as you.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

The applesauce looks really good! Have you ever made applebutter? I love it, and have made it before. It rocks! :)

3:48 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

You are amazing. I wish I was your neighbor so I could just 'happen' to pop in when you were cooking/baking.

I celebrated Fall by buying pumpkin soap at Willams Sonoma.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Step aside Nigella, we have a new Domestic Goddess.

Man, I wish my ass were not this lazy. Well done on all that marvelous baking. I now have a massive craving for pumpkin pie.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous nikbudnik said...

Next time, add some spices to some of your pumpkin. It is instant pie mix. Canned from home, it is not nasty like the "mix in a can", plus the spices have time to sit and really permeate the pumpkin.
Your boy is cute. :)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yum! Applesauce. That's what I did this evening - 16 pints and still a bushel of apples to go :). I burned my finger when the hot sauce started popping, but it will only sting for a day or so, and this winter ... I'll be happy to have the applesauce with my Latkes ;).

Now, I just need to take care of all of those pumpkins ;).

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!! When I saw that pumpkin I thought that it was the one from your stray seed. Oh! Applesauce looks delicious!! Your grandma use to make it with the skins on and the skins would give the sauce a nice color, she also had a special strainer just for making applesauce.

Chunkie looks like he just got up or is ready to go to bed!

Love, Mom

10:43 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Wow - that would all look really yummy if it weren't a 90F with 90% humidity here. LOL.... enjoy fall in New Jersey - that was my favorite season there. =)

11:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You make me want to can.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Beautiful applesauce and pumpkin puree! Wow. I love fall too.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Mmm, looks wonderful!

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home