Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Here Fishy Fishy Fishy!

Kristi is having a Tessalating Fish contest after trying to enlist her mother to help her knit enough of the infamous tessalating fish and coming to the conclusion that there was no way she was going to finish enough for a blanket for her boys' second birthday in November. (It seems like just yesterday she was wearing her Larry King Pregnancy Garter Belt!)

So she's having a contest. Send in a fish, get your name entered.

I'm not so interested in the contest as I am about unloading the 10 fish that have been haunting me in the bottom of my knitting odds n'ends bag in the closet.

A while ago when the Tessalating Fish afghan first hit the scene, I was enamoured and thought I'd make one. I got 10 fish into it and quit.

Ever since then I knew there was no way I was going to ever make one of these blankets, but what to do with the 10 fish I knit?

I dug them out last night to package off to Kristi and I noticed this:

100_6300

Holy cow. These ARE old fish! I knit these before I realized I didn't know how to knit!!! Ha ha! See those twisted stitches in the stockinette triangle that occurs in the head of each fish?

I believe it was June/July 2006 when I finally realized I was purling wrong and corrected myself so I didn't get these twisted stitches.

Thank you Kristi for taking these vintage fish off my hands!

And if you've made it this far--enjoy some classic Sesame Street.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Rebel said...

Bezzie - I already loved you, but you earned yourself a giant place in my heart for posting the HEEEERE FISHY FISY FISHY clip. =)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I would love to make one of those blankets myself, but I am too lazy right now.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! sure Bert, you jsut have to call them and they hop right into the boat!!! Here fishy,fishy fishy!!! Jump! Plop! Jump! Plop!

I remember that clip!
Love, Mom

9:25 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I've always wanted to make that blanket - but figured I'd never even get to 10 fish...My log cabin afghans are still hiding somewhere in the house.

9:29 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

how serendipitous! those fish blankets are cute, but i don't like fish enough to want to look at them every day. plus my track record pretty much proves it'd take me about 10 years to finish one.

i'll probably start one tomorrow.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Thanks for the fish! Consider the twisted stitch fish similar to those that are probably swimming in the Red Cedar exposed to all the toxins. I've made a few wonky fish but am still using them because as a kid, I always picked the fish that was missing an eye or had an extra fin and just swam in circles aimlessly.

By the way, thanks for bringing up that freaking belly band thing up - *SHUDDER*.

Great clip too!

11:05 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

That Sesame Street clip is freakin' hilarious! I probably think it's funnier now than when I originally saw it way back when.

You know, you could give your friend the fish and she'll have fish for this afghan, or you could TEACH her to knit fish and she'll have fish afghans forever. Muahahahahaha!

-T.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Have you heard the story about early Sesame Street vids being marked with parental warnings? I hear all those old SS are a little too real for the contemporary brand of overprotective parenting.

11:34 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I think your twisted stitch adds to the scale feature.

Thank you for E & B--I love Ernie's laugh,heeheeheehee

1:22 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Passing on the fish is a great idea. I just *looked* at that blanket and knew I'd never get one done. Love the clip.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Bert & Ernie!!!! My 2 favorite peeps! Thanks for the memories!

Hey, I kinda like them stitches!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

The clip is great! I used to love Sesame Street...oh memories. Glad the fish could find a home. I'm sure it was disturbing to have fish mocking you from inside a bag.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I like the blanket a lot but know that I would never in my lifetime finish enough fish and I will not leave a project like that for one of my kids to deal with when I die. You should have kept one to remind yourself how far your knitting has come. I have my husbands (gauge? what's gauge?) sweater that he insists on wearing around the house to remind me.

6:48 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I like the idea of that blanket, but the mere thought of sewing all those fishys together and weaving in all those ends make me run away - and fast! Guess I'm just a lazy git.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

That's a good way to get rid of a wip! donate to some other fool, er, deserving soul....

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I love that Sesame Street clip. They just don't make em like they used to! :P

4:24 AM  
Blogger prairiegirl said...

Hee hee hee! You've gotta love the old Ernie and Bert clips! That one is one of my particular favourites. Especially when the fish says, "You called?" Love it!

And hey - even though your stitches were a bit twisted on your pink fishy I think it looks really quite pretty that way! :)

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home