Monday, September 22, 2008

She's a Lady

Woah, woah, woah she's a lady!

100_6299

It's my February Lady sweater.

You can't see from this picture, but I took a page from Trillian's book and have marked every two pattern repeats with a marker. This has alleviated (but not eliminated!) me screwing up the lace pattern.

You also can't tell, but the sweater is being posed on a map of my county.

Yesterday we went on a trial run to where my new office will be starting next week. Dr. Mad Scientist came along to provide me with some of his "southside" navigational knowledge (many of his AA meetings and/or AA buds are in the southern part of our town that abuts Newark.)

Let's just say that commute is going to be a bitch.

Less mileage--yes. But I will be idling in traffic a lot more due to pathetic city planning and a bridge construction project that won't be over until Fall 2009. Not cool.

I'm one of those weirdos that would much rather be constantly moving--even if it's 20 mph--as opposed to sitting in traffic creeping towards my goal.

On this upcoming Sunday when they're requiring us to come to work (to unload our crap and set up our workstations) I'll be investigating an alternate route.

On our way home from the trial run, we hit the town's Harvestfest.

They had the typical fair-food and the vendors, were um, OK. It's like they found every dealer of fake bags and sunglasses from NYC and invited them to come.

And for some reason there was a large number of vendors selling socks. Buy a Guccie Bag, a pair of Ray Banns and a 10 pack of sweat socks!

They also had some simple kiddie carnival rides.

Dr. Mad Scientist and Chunky took a spin on the ferris wheel.

100_6289

I love the look on Chunky's face when the wheel started up!

100_6293

Here's a picture of me on the ground "looking like an ant" as Chunky said.

100_6298

Overall--good weekend. Next weekend I have to squeeze it all into one day. Here's hoping they're prepared to pay us all OT for Sunday!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

You know, those street fairs/festivals are THE best place to buy socks. Hubby loves to stock up on them there. What a weirdo. :)

I'm with you on the traffic. Though, if it's standstill, I'm quite tempted to pull out the knitting.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I will go out of my way to avoid sitting still. I have a manual transmission and inching forward is hell on the clutch. The lady sweater looks great! I am still slogging through the holiday knitting before I make something for me. At least I started early and I'm giving everyone socks. Who doesn't need socks?

7:07 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I love Ferris wheels but W&A are both freaked out by heights.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I hate standstill traffic. You use more gas idling.

Fairs, carnivals, etc. freak me out. The carnival people give me the willies! :) Your Chunky looks so cute in the picture. He was really having a good time!

And, I hope more than anything that your place of employment pays you OT for coming in on a Sunday, if you are on hourly pay.

I cannot wait to see your sweater completed!

8:09 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

If you can't stand traffic, stay the hell away from Los Angeles. Glad you had a good weekend!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Thanks for reminding me of that hint on marking the pattern repeats. I know I'll need it! Bummer on the future commute though!! Hehe..Momma the ant!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Oh I love harvest festivals & carnivals. I'm such a sucker for stuff like that. Glad Chunky had fun. Sucks about the commute though.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Chunky is suddenly looking so much like a Big Kid. Isn't it funny how kids do that? They go along looking one age, and then, BOOM, a week later, they look 2 years older.

My verification word is hokwefn. It sounds to me like the name of a small town somewhere in Amish country in Pennsylvania. Could also be a small town in rural NJ.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks real nice! Can't wait to see it finished.

Chunkie looks like he is going to really like that farris wheel ride!

Mamma the ant! That is a funny one! What would you be if he was in an airplane?

Love, Mom

10:10 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Yeah, stitch markers for every pattern repeat is the way I keep from going insane with the lace. As you have seen, it doesn't prevent mistakes, but it does help the read, count and fix of the mistakes. I learned 'lifeline' too after my last Birch shawl.
Chunk is adorable as usual.
I am really amazed the firm did not spring for professional movers. Hopefully the money they saved will show up in your end of year bonuses.
Can you do public transport rather than drive? Would it take longer? (sometimes it does. I guess you'll be doing a lot more car knitting.)

10:38 AM  
Blogger janna said...

February Lady Sweater is in my queue -- I even have the yarn for it (Brooks Farm, bought at Stitches Midwest. I couldn't resist the Texas yarn!). It will be a while before I get started on it, though - probably after Christmas. At least I'll have lots of them to learn from!

And I"m with you on stand-still traffic -- I'll drive through neighborhoods just to keep moving!

11:46 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Wow! The February Lady sweater is practically done!!! I love it!!

Love the picture of Chunky on the ferris wheel!

1:05 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Chunky's expression of joy just warms my heart.

The sweater is lookig fabulous! And I hope the commute is better. My holy grail of jobs is finding one in my home town.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I had no idea that wanting traffic to move was a weird thing ;-)

3:49 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Chunky's face is classic in that picture! I love those festivals/fairs.

The sweater looks great. Nice color!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Socks at a festival? That must be some kind of NYC/New Jersey thing, because I've honestly never seen any at festivals here in the Cleveland area.

Chunky's a brave kid. Those ferris wheels scare the crap out of me, LOL!

9:33 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Lady's lookin' mighty fine! Will have to note that stitch marker tip when it comes around over here.

Chunky has that amazing look of childlike glee and wonder! May he never lose it! Okay now I feel like a fortune cookie...

10:21 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hee's hoping the alternate route is better!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

That is an AWESOME picture of El Chunkito!!

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home