Sunday, September 07, 2008

What's Goin' On...

Not much!

Chunky LOVES first grade.

The second day of school we had to wake up early to take Dr. Mad Scientist to the train station so he could get to work early to make up for the hour he had to leave early that day (for class).

When we got home, I was tired and took a nap on the couch. I told Chunky to wake me up when Fairly Oddparents ended.

At 8:00 a.m. Chunky's poking me awake. He's got his backpack on.

I tell him to go take his vitamins, brush his teeth and pack his lunchbox into his backpack.

"Oh I already did those things Mom! I'm gonna go wait outside for you ok?" and he bolts out the front door.

What a nerd. I guess when you plant potatoes, you get potatoes though.

This upcoming week is going to be hard on both of us because they sent home a note stating not to drop your kid off prior to 8:25 a.m. Chunky's going to have to rein it in a bit.

And I'm going to have a hard time getting to work by 9:00 a.m. in the morning. I didn't sign him up for Before-Care because I assumed that our office move to Newark would have been done by now. As it stands, getting from school to Newark (6 miles) won't be a big problem. But getting from school to the current office location in Livingston (12 miles) is going to be a bitch for the three weeks before we complete the move.

But I've alerted the HR Lady and my partner boss (the one that has the most clout--or The Swiss as HR Lady and I have dubbed him as he's the big cheese of my three bosses) that I may be 5 to 15 minutes late each day. They're cool with it which is nice.

But making up that 5 to 15 minutes by taking it out of my lunch hour ruins my knitting time!

Seguing into what I've been knitting...

The bandwagony February Lady:

100_6243

I decided to do the top in stockinette with a garter stitch neck and 10 st. garter stitch on each edge. I've got one more row of the first lace repeat before I break off the sleeves.

I should have knit the top edge in more garter stitch than just three rows--it's starting to roll. But I think I may be able to block and tack it out in the end to fix it. After the severe Lily sweater rolling I had, this is nothing!!

Yesterday Chunky and I also went to a birthday party in Wayne.

At 3:15 p.m. when we left Tropical Storm Hanna decided to reach Northern New Jersey.

After driving through West Paterson to get to Wayne, Chunky had a really good time at the party.

I got to mingle with the wide variety of parents at the party. I was the only American born one there. But thank god I'm from Alaska! It made me just as interesting in the small talk department as being born in say Latvia, Mexico, or Columbia.

I also got to confirm that the birthday boy's grandma is playing for the other side. I always had my suspicions, but meeting her girlfriend or "Assistant Grandma" as she introduced me confirmed it.

They're all cool people. I'll miss the intimacy of Chunky's old school where all the families know each other.

At his new school the only mom I consistently recognize is Soprano Mom. She's got the Jersey big hair, takes a daily bath in bronzer, wears the blinged out Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses, and has long fake nails. I'll take lesbian grandma any day!!!

After the party we drove home through the Fountains of Wayne created by Hanna.

Thank the stars my Buick made it through many gigantic puddles of standing water.

On the 11:00 NYC news that night they showed pictures of West Paterson and Wayne--a few hours after we must have driving through--completely flooded.

But now that I think back, the Noreaster that hit us in April 2007 West Paterson and Wayne flooded pretty bad.

Overall, using the Bez-Leaking-Closet-Roof Method of storms (see here for the April 2007 Noreaster Results)--Hanna wasn't so bad:

100_6244

Zorba's mouthpiece has informed us that they can't fix the leaking roof without replacing the roof--something Zorba won't/can't shell out the money for. This closet WILL start leaking again.

Until the next storm I guess!

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Rebel said...

Oh honey... I hear you with the standing water! It's monsoon season here... which means we get at least one pouring-down-buckets rainstorm every day. Today we've had at least two. When the Songthaew dropped me off at the side of the road it was into a 5 inch deep puddle. It was not fun! I'm not sure if the fact that I was wearing flip flops made it better or worse though.

Glad to hear Chunky likes class. Smart kids generally stay out of trouble. Good luck with the commute.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

How cute that Chunky loves school so much!

I'm a little over storms and flooding gives me hives but I LOVE a great thunderstorm!

Given it's only a week I am sure you'll find someone at the new school to click with, I hope at least! I'm guessing Grandma swung the other way for long enough to produce one offspring, huh?

11:33 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Lesbian grandma, LOL! I've known a few gay people who have been married before. I think society puts a lot of pressure on them to "conform", but of course, it's not going to work out in the end.

Anyway, wow, Chunky starts school late! School starts at 8:10 at my kids' school, and they don't have before school care, but they can get there as early as 7:45, if it's really necessary. Most office jobs around here start at 8 though, so that's not very helpful for parents that have to be at work at 8.

Good for Chunky for liking school so much! My son told me "kindergarten is a lot of hard work", LOL!

Boy, am I glad we're not in the path of any hurricanes here in the Cleveland area.

11:58 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

So glad Chunky likes school!! And that your job is being flexible for the next few weeks for you!!

Yay for the February Lady!!! And love your modification :) And that you jumped on a bandwagon no less....hehehehehe!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Awesome for Chunky!

I'll cross my fingers for you about the leaking closet. Earlier this year, my bedroom wall decided to leak.

I'm glad Hannah didn't turn out to be as bad as expected.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I'm so sorry about the leak! We had one last year and it sucked. Just don't store anything valuable in that closet, I guess.

It's so great that Chunky loves school. I hope your office moves to Newark soon so everybody can be happy and relatively low-stress.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I don't know if we had it all that bad here - when we get bad rain i get a small trickle in my basement (it goes right to the drain) but we didn't have any of that. We were supposed to go to my company picnic yesterday at Dorney Park and bailed (haha! Pun intended!) because of the water.

That's crappy about the closet. So, if Z is unwilling to fix it, is he willing to fix the stuff (yours) in the house that gets ruined due to his admitted lack of action with the roof?

What are you knitting your February Lady out of? I like your idea of the stockinette better than the garter stitch.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I like how your FLS is coming out, I was thinking more stockinette for mine, but decided against it. Glad Chunky is liking school too. Cripes, you go to way more interesting birthday parties than I've ever been too ;)

4:28 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Zorba is being penny-wise and pound-foolish if he lets a leaking roof continue for long. It will lead to rot and structural damage that will cost a lot more in the long run.

I'm glad the move will be done soon, so your time-crunch in the morning is not going to go on too long.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leaks in the roof not a good thing. Anything you store in there you should make sure that you have some of that silica stuff to absorb the moisture.
Glad that Chunkie likes school!! Reminds me of when you all were in school and I was asked to not let you all go to school so early!!! And when I told the person that I didn't get you all up til 8AM and that you all just got dressed ate breakfast and ran off to school!!! They thought that you all were NUTS!!! I guess some kids love school and some don't!! Love, Mom

6:32 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Will he at least spring for a pot to catch the drips in?

I was contemplating subbing in stockinette for the FLS. I'm so glad you're trying it first. Hehehehehehehe. ;)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Is it sad that my first thought was, "I hope she doesn't keep yarn in that closet...."?

We didn't get hit bad at all. We had some lights flickering, but it was during a Rock Band song when my sister was singing...I think it was the gods trying to tell her something. :)

So glad Chunky likes first grade. The verdict is still out on third...we're waiting til homework starts this week for a verdict. :)

6:48 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

"assistant grandmother"! Priceless. I hope the stash isn't in the leaky closet. What a pain. If your place is anything like mine, closet space is at a premium. Losing it to rain water would suck majorly.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Yay, Chunky! I was always excited for school to start, too.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Where I come from, you are admonished to never drive through water that covers the road. If you do, you could get an exciting near death experience and a ride in a helicopter to boot! (I've been caught in a flash flood on the road once upon a time in Arizona. I saw the water coming down the street and pulled over to ride it out. The water only came up to the middle of the car's doors but it was scary enough.)

Well, I think you know me well enough to know how horrified I am about the leaking roof. Zorba and I would be in a battle to the death. What he is doing to his own property! Does he not care? Argh.

Chunky loves school and is self sufficient. Wow, you've done very well. A+ Mom.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Love the color of February!

Sorry about the leaking. That sucks.

Chunky looked so cute in his school photos below. I am so glad he is like it!!!

12:13 PM  
Blogger coke said...

NIKE NIKE运动鞋 NIKE跑鞋 妮可鞋岛 阿迪达斯

阿迪达斯
nikedao
nikedao.com
www.nikedao.com
NIKE
ADIDAS
PUMA
NIKE板鞋
运动鞋
NIKE跑鞋
ADIDAS板鞋
ADIDAS运动鞋
ADIDAS跑鞋
板鞋
运动鞋
耐克
NIKE板鞋
NIKE运动鞋
NIKE 跑鞋
ADIDAS板鞋
ADIDAS运动鞋
ADIDAS跑鞋
休闲鞋
PUMA运动鞋
妮可鞋岛

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home