Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Just In Time

Just in Time For Breast Cancer Beat You Over the Head Awareness Month--it's the announcement for September's K.A.Y.E. winner.

And the winner is:

Connie!

Now don't get me wrong, hooray boobie awareness, but part of the reason I started K.A.Y.E. was to draw some attention away from our most noticable girly parts that don't get quite the publicized attention that our sweater puppies do. No one wants to really talk about their cooters when they could be munching on pink M&Ms.

But I digress, most of the time screenings for cervical cancer include breast cancer screenings and vice versa. In fact that's how Lefty (my mother's left boobie, may it rest in peace) met his demise. You can't really diss breast cancer screenings.

The pink saturation just gets to be a bit much by Halloween.

Maybe someday everyone will be sick of teal and white in January!!! Muhahahahahah!

I'll leave you on this creepy piece of information I found on the National Cervical Cancer Coaltion website on the history of their founding:

Back in 1996 Mrs. Randi Kaye was the co-owner of a women’s health niche laboratory with her husband, Alan. As co-owner of the niche women’s health lab, Randi and Alan were concerned for women who had cervical cancer/HPV disease and who felt isolated and unsafe. Randi and Alan desired to give back to the community and began the National Cervical Cancer Coalition (NCCC). As soon as the NCCC began its operation, it became apparent to Randi and Alan that there was a tremendous unmet need for a grass-roots resource group to help women and caregivers that were searching for information on cervical cancer, HPV, support services and advocacy.

Dude, the chick's name was Randi Kaye. I literally just read this.

When I came up with the name for this contest I just based it egotistically off of my middle name.

Cosmic man, cosmic.

P.S. If you have NO clue what the hell I'm rambling on about--click the K.A.Y.E. link early in the post, read it and make plans to enter!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Kaye. Wow. Did you buy a lottery ticket yet?

8:48 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Congrats to Connie!

Your mom's left boob was a dude? Well now, I never thought of my girls as boys. I'm looking at them in a whoooole different light now...

9:37 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

My middle initial is K and so is my husband's. I've always thought of K as a neglected letter. I thought it was funny when the lid to my Hershey's syrup bottle was pink...

7:39 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I used to love pink but its definitely overdone now. Having a girl probably doesn't help either. K is a good letter.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Hmmm, too bad they didn't use orange as the theme color...or red...but I guess pink stands out against those traditional fall colors...

But yeah, kismet with the naming...

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! That is too funny!!! There is a patron that comes into the library and her name is Vicki Kaye. I remember her because of her las name!!

Yeah....Lefty's, may he rest in peace, match one year later is doing just fine!!

Congrats to Connie!!

Love, Mom

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Eliza said...

Crazy stuff! I know what you are saying about the whole pink saturation thing... it makes me cross that so many large companies sport the pink for profit. Way to raise awareness for the downtown region!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home