Sunday, October 05, 2008

October Woman

It's neither February and nor am I what I would call a lady, but here's my completed February Lady sweater.

100_6320

Here she is from the back--with my damp hair down--just for Rosi G. to see.

100_6324
Sunshine on my butt makes me haaaappppy!!!

And here she is all artsy-fartsy from the front.

100_6343

I didn't block it because of the type of yarn I used--it's mainly acrylic and I don't think acrylic blocks very well.

I originally bought this yarn to knit the boys a pair of sweaters. But alas lacy girl sweater won over lacy girl sweater. I have enough left to maybe knit Chunky something--if he'd just stop growing already.

100_6319

I love the color of this yarn--it's deep green with yellowish flecks.

And I love the buttons!

100_6317

I saw these buttons at I've Got a Notion (my favorite place for buttons locally--they've got tons!). And quite honestly, I knew they'd be perfect for this sweater. In that respect, I knit this backwards--I bought the buttons before I knit the sweater.

Here's the official details:

Pattern: February Lady

Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease (80% Acrylic/20% Wool--would that really block that great??), in Forest Green Heather

Needles: US 8 and US 7

Notes/Mods: The most obvious mod has got to be that I did the yoke in stockinette, not garter stitch. Here's the deal--I don't mind garter stitch as an edging, but I despise it in large quantities. Maybe because it feels so "beginnger" to me or the fact that I really never drank the Elizabeth Zimmerman Garter Stitch Is Wonderful Kool Aid and this is the first thing I've really knit that comes remotely to one of her patterns. (In case you're living in a cave--this pattern is based on her baby-February Sweater and was upsized to fit an adult.)

Oddly though, I can stand garter stitch on blankets, just not garments.

I also started this in garter stitch and I quickly realized that I suck as garter stitch raglan increases. The pattern calls for marking the stitch--not placing a marker--at the increase sections of the yoke. I had never done that before, and well, as previously noted, I suck at it. Later I realized with a little thought at each increase, you could get away with placing a marker and not marking the actual stitch. But by the time I realized that--I had already re-cast on and was knitting it stockinette.

I also down shifted down a needlesize when I hit the elbows on the sleeves to a US 7 in hopes of getting less bell-age in the sleeves. I'm not sure it really worked, but it didn't really hurt either.

Finally, I did do the first three rows in garter stitch as the pattern called for before switching to stockinette and starting the raglan increases. If I had to do it again--I would have continued the garter stitch a little longer than three rows. As a result, the final collar rolled in on itself.

After I cast off, I debated tacking the rolled edge down to the body of the sweater or picking up the stitches and doing a few more rows of garter stitch. I went with picking up the stitches starting at each increase and I love how it turned out. It creates kind of a mitered edge to the front plackets of the sweater--and it doesn't roll anymore!

Ok, if you read all that crap, I shall reward you with an extra picture.

I did this whole photo shoot using the self timer--so not all of them turned out too hot.

The one below I'm posting because of the guy in the background of the boobie bar. I'm wondering if he was there to load his trunk with booze from the liquor store, or perhaps he was picking up last-night's performers...

100_6327

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Oh, that's gorgeous! I love it!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Hey, I hate garter stitch too! Looks amateurish to me, like you just learned how to knit or something.

Cute sweater!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Looks great. I would love to knit this, but who knows if and when I will ever take the time to do so. I think if I do, I would adjust the stitches to make a 2 x 2 ribbed neckline and omit the button band initially and pick it up after the sweater was complete to do a 2 x 2 rib on it.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That sweater is awesome! I love the "swing" type sweaters, and they're really popular right now too - I see a lot of them in the stores. I love those heart shaped buttons also - very unique!

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. You're exactly right about these rich folks. My local newspaper ran an article last week about different families and how they're faring with the economy. One was this couple from my suburb who sold a small house 7 years ago and bought a $245,000 one (which here in land o'cheap houses Cleveland gets you a mini-mansion) in an exclusive suburb. They said even their affluent neighbors are struggling right now, having to cut out their weekend getaways, and eat out less. Ha! I wish cutting back for me only meant going one less vacation a year!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

Awesome job on the sweater! I love love LOVE the buttons!!

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

Total agreement on the garter stitch! It can be great in the right quantities and places... but it stretches like a b--ch and is so reminiscent of grade-school potholder projects...
Anyway, the sweater is gorgeous- makes me think I will just have to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon ;-)

12:34 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yes. Wool-ease blocks just fine. I made an Irish Hiking scarf out of it and it grew a good foot once it hit water, and it did even out nicely. Remember, blocking isn't just about stretching stuff out though, it's about setting your stitches. Acrylic needs that too.

I love the way yours turned out with the stockinette! That's one of my favorite shades of Wool-ease. It looks great on you!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! That is one nice sweater!!! And YOU look so GOOD in it!! Dang! I like those buttons also! I have never seen anything like them, and I have seen buttons. Keep on knitting! Love, Mom
PS: Chunkie has about another 11 to 12 years before he stops growing.

1:27 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I love it!! It looks fabulous on you!! I must admit, tad disappointed that your artsy-fartsy photo did not involve a cup of coffee (hehehehehe!!).

The buttons are perfect. The color is perfect!! Yay for October Woman :)

2:22 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Great work! It looks fantastic.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That turned out really gorgeous! I love the color!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Those are great buttons - and they do set off the little bit of yellow in the yarn. It lokos lovely!

3:16 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

It turned out awesome! Looks great on you, and cute buttons, too! Love the stockinette sub, thanks for paving the way! :D

3:31 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Yea, where's the coffee mug? The sweater looks good. I have some white cotton blend waiting to become one of those because I like the style. I am not a follower of EZ and have never made one of her patterns. I have heard that they are not the easiest of patterns to follow.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

I'm particularly amused by the John Denver reference.

Oh, and I'm getting my cooter rootin' on my mom's birthday. No significance, I just thought it bore mentioning.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Yeah Yeah Excellent Sweater but...

Wow what beautiful hair and boobs galore! Hee hee ;-)

11:22 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

It's lovely!

I almost thought you were Brooklyn Tweed for a second..

12:10 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Maybe he's returning last night's ladies??

I like the sweater on you, the changes make it look a lot bettertoo, not so much a fan of garter up by anyone's face for some reason.

I was trying to figure out if that was wool ease before you said it, I think I have some of that color in my endless stash. If you get inspired to knit Dr MS something there's probably a sweater's worth in there, or close to it...

4:33 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice sweater there! Love the color and your mods! :)

4:36 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Very nice!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

February...hearts on the buttons...that's great! Whether intentional or not.

Garter stitch always makes me feel like I'm wearing something inside out...so to me, awesome modification.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Beauteous cardi! The color is perfect and the mods just right.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Nice work!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

OK, your hair is freakin long dude! WEAR IT OUT MORE OFTEN!!! :P

Now THAT is a really nice FLS. I love your mods. I didn't follow the pattern much my damn self except now I'm lost on sleeve island again (all garter stitch sleeves. HA!).

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

I FORGOT TO MENTION!! I loooooooooove love love HEART those buttons!! Let me find out I'm gonna have to load up on buttons when I come to Joisey next month for Karen's shindig!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home