Monday, October 06, 2008

Random Monetary Musings

A boring post! Now with more random pictures from my Flickr Archive!

A theme that's been cropping up for me a lot lately the past three days is kids and money. I could post about the doom and gloom situation that's happening, but that's been beaten to death. Our country is run by idiots and there's a new wave of idiots trying to worm their way in. Not to mention trying to figure out the sheer bizarre-ness that is our financial system (I just finished listening to this week's This American Life on the drive home tonight).

100_3435

First up--I took Chunky to the park on Saturday. Word on the street is the township had installed some new equipment and we felt we should scope it out.

I love now that he's in public school--all the kids in the neighborhood that look remotely his age go to school with him.

He found one such boy who was also on the new Splayed Butterfly Climbing Doohickey. (I don't know what else to call it. It's a giant plastic quasi-butterfly looking thing with holes in it so you can climb on it. It's a total hazard and I could see some kid getting up there and falling off and breaking their neck--but that's just me channelling my Old Man.)

I was off on the periphery watching them climb the Splayed Butterfly and somehow the Little Boy (who claimed to be 7 and in 2nd grade) out of the blue asked Chunky how much money he had.

Chunky had to think about it--$4 or $5, he replied. Little Boy scoffed and informed Chunky matter-of-factly that he had $57.36. Chunky shrugged it off by informing the kid he used to have $47 but he spent it all on Legos.

Wow. I don't remember having such conversations when I was in first/second grade.

untitled1

Second--I was reading the newspaper and reading one of those tired mainstream regurgitated articles on how to "Save Money." They've become en vouge lately due to well--if you haven't been living in a cave you know.

This particular article was how to save money at the grocery store. One of the tips was "Leave the kids at home with Grandma and Grandpa or a babysitter--it's like a $20 coupon." I guess they were insinuating that when you bring your child with you grocery shopping, you're automatically going to spend excess money to fulfill their grocery-wishes.

Huh? Ok, I'll admit, sometimes Chunky (and Dr. Mad Scientist) will suggest that we purchase a quart of icecream if they (cough, Dr. Mad Scientist, cough cough) sees that it's on sale--and I'll cave. But there are many times where I remember saying out loud "Do we really need ______?" and we decide that nah, we have live without _______.

Mmmm...

Finally, I came across this article in my internet travails today.

Again, another article given press because of the state of the union.

Call me weird, but I've never hid our financial situation from Chunky.

He knew that things were tough when Dr. Mad Scientist wasn't working earlier this year.

He understands what saving means (see the aforemention of $47 in Lego money--all birthday/Christmas money he saved up. Actually outside of his birthday and Christmas--the only toys he gets are toys he buys with his own money. Lately it's been those MyEPet things at $10 a pop.).

I can't guarantee that he won't end up a spendthrift like his daddy--but at the very least he'll find a girl like his mommy who's tight with a dollar.

100_2585

Very random thoughts. I could expand on any one of them much more, but I shan't for I don't know about you, I like my blog posts, not-too-long and full of pictures!

100_3822

Never mind that the pictures have nothing to do with the subject matter!

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger handknitter said...

Wow. Those grapes were very cooperative, weren't they?

9:35 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Now I want to make sweet rolls....

9:44 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Is it wrong that the photos matched just fine to me?

10:12 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I'm with cpurl! I so agree with you! I remember when I was little that we couldn't buy toys whenever we wanted and we never could get those fancy name brand cereals!

12:12 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Wow! That cantaloupe is doing one wicked impression of the chiquita banana lady!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Hee hee. I'm just thinking that when the boy told Chunky that he had 57.36 -- Chunky should have done a shake down on him. LOL That would have taught the kid to not to brag and be so full of himself. :)

4:20 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

We've never really hid stuff like that from W, either. She knows her Dad is not working right now - she comes home every day asking, "Did you find a job today, Daddy?" It might almost be funny except for the pained look on A's face.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Sounds like you've done a good job with Chunky! What a strange playground conversation... the "I have this, what do you have" conversations I had mostly revolved around Barbies and their paraphernalia.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I think Chunkie is going to turn out a good mix of both his daddy and mommy. Not too tight but not too loose with the moola!

As for your pics....They kept your post interesting. Oh!!!! Do I miss C-buns!!! Nice knitting Miss Rosie!

Love, Mom

9:52 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

And it was all worth it just for the pic of Rosie knitting. <3

When I was Chunky's age all the money I ever knew or cared about was whether or not I could scrape up enough change to buy a bananasicle from the ice cream truck.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I don't remember having money discussions when I was a kid. I have never hid the family finances from the girls either. They needed to know that money was tight and that we had to economize. I also let them help decide how to spend small windfalls that came our way, too. I had no problems saying no to them in the store. They knew better than to throw a tantrum and also knew that maybe next time they would get what they wanted.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Finally, I can see the pictures...grrr..no more flickr or anything knitting at work now! Anyhow, I'm really hungry now! Hehe..putting Rosie to work now huh!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

My nephew came home from school the other day with $37 he had gotten from a friend who had it with him. Not sure which kid was more in the wrong but I never had money as a kid. What kid brings $37 to school?? In second grade no less...

I'm big on holding back on toys through the year and making a bigger deal out of Christmas and birthdays. It gets exciting to wait it out!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I never had money as a kid either. I was lucky to have a buck in my pocket. Kids worrying about money so young worries me.

Pi doesn't get toys from DH and I during the year either. Her great grandpa spoils her rotten even though I ask him not too. So I only buy toys for Christmas and birthdays.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Vanessa said...

Money in second grade, much less conversations about it? Not when I was seven.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

When my kids- got four of 'em- want something from the store I always ask them," Where's your money??"

9:45 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

The main problem with the money sky is falling thing going on right now is because the finance people got greedy, let people who shouldn't have had credit have it and now the house of cards is falling. For most peoplem it isn't qworth getting too excited. At elast, that's how I'm doing it. No point in getting wound up about something I can't change

11:16 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

How cute that kitty is! I love how the green yarn matches his/her green eyes!

I used to wish the kids on my street went to the same school as my daughter, so she'd have some school friends living nearby (her school is a couple of miles from our house), but now that I've gotten to know the kids (and unfortunately most of them are undisciplined brats), I'm now glad that they don't go to the same school as her, so she doesn't have to see them every day.

Anyway, that's very impressive that Chunky managed to save up almost $60 bucks! Good for him! With some kids nowadays (according to a few of my daughter's friends and classmates) getting $5-$10 from the "Tooth Fairy" for one tooth, it doesn't surprise me to hear about little kids discussing money like that. Boy, when I was a kid, I was happy just to get a quarter when I lost a tooth!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Love the knitting monkey. :o)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love pictures in posts too....yours are great. I too want to make sweet rolls and a fruit man.

I think it is great that you can walk into a store and say no to your child and not have problems...they understand that sometimes money is tight or it is something you don't "need" etc.

I try to strive for this as well. My girls have been told no on many occasion. I remember one time my youngest getting a no and feeling a little put out. Not tantrum type put out. Just you could tell she was disappointed. Well I made hubby go back and buy the thing she wanted on the sly. It was like a $10 stuffie. I could have bought it for her really but it was the whole not wanting her to think she can get stuff all the time when go out. So I was able to continue on with that hard lesson in life LOL and gave her the stuffie a few days later just because.

I had someone tell me how they buy a gift for their other children when it is the siblings birthday....cause it is hard for them to not have a present too. Now that is gonna backfire one day for sure!

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home