Thursday, October 30, 2008

Yawn.

There hasn't been much going on here.

The wife of Mr. Texas Politician robo-called me yesterday. I guess Mr. Texas Politician didn't read my email asking to be removed from his mailing list. I do believe I'm going to check out the Bexar County results on Wednesday to see how this dingus did.

Knitting has been pretty boring.

100_6407

That's Chunky's new winter scarf. It's the same as one I made Dr. Mad Scientist two or three years ago. He wanted CSU colors, so CSU colors he gets.

Work has been pretty ho-hum too. Each Friday I reach my Chatty Cathy threshold where I want to staple her lips together. But after a nice weekend I'm usually good to go for another four days.

It's Gang Week in Newark--which was extra special today since it's "Mischief Night" (such a Lower 48 thing...). The office manager came around at 5:00 p.m. to make sure we were all leaving before dark.

Thanks to the ineptitude of New Jersey Transit I've been able to drive my route home the last two nights in the dark because I've had to drive BACK to the office after picking up Chunky from school to pick up Dr. Mad Scientist beause his train home's been cancelled for whatever reason. (The office isn't very far away from one of the Newark train stations). It's not scary after dark at all.

And speaking of driving, I reached a new milestone yesterday!!!

I've:
* been rear ended in New Jersey;
* dinged a driver myself (Sorry Senor Chico!);
* ran over someone's cat;
* witnessed a motorcycle collide with a car; and
* watched a pedestrian get hit by a car!

The pedestrian appeared in decent shape--but he hit the driver's car hard enough with his head to smash the glass on the windshield. Still, that had to freakin' hurt.

Now I've been uber-sensitive to every little pedestrian I see!!!

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

I saw a motorcycle collide with a car and watched the rider slide along the asphalt. I have a new respect for the bikers who wear their leathers. In a contest between skin and asphalt, asphalt wins every time.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

As a loooong time pedestrian/public transit rider, I applaud you for your consideration towards pedestrians, ha, ha! Downtown Cleveland is flush with drivers who think a walk sign and a red light still doesn't give pedestrians the right to cross the street. A couple of weeks ago a guy got run over and killed by a bus in a crosswalk downtown. Fortunately in the 20+ years I've been working and/or going to school downtown, I've never been hit by a car.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

There's gang stuff going on here too tonight and romorrow night. Scary stuff. I've never seen a pedestrian get hit. I think I'd cry.

Nice scarf!

8:00 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

off topic: thanks for the laugh over the flying monkey

loves you!

8:09 PM  
Blogger janna said...

You ran over a cat????

8:22 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

"mischief night" As in htey egg cars and stuff?

nobody better do my house or car. I will be pissed.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Never heard if mischief night...have I been living in all the wrong cities?

My head's been in a hole the entire week so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed the news flash.

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had been the pedestrian I would have made them check me out even if I was feeling OK!!! You never know if you have something going on inside.
Aaahhhh! Like father like son!!! They will look cute together.
Love, Mom

10:35 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Actually I think mischief night is an NJ thing... they didn't have it in CA.

You know... people are all afraid of terrorist attacks and global warming and all kinds of other obscure things... but still the #1 most dangerous things we do every single day is get into a car or step out into the road. Be careful out there Bezzie!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I've rearended someone and I had someone key my put-along, but nothing more tragic than that...thank goodness!

Only 4 days left, counting today, until, well the crap starts all over again for 4 more years! Ha ha. That is one thing about politics, it never ends.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice scarf - looks so cozy and team spirit-y!

Can DSM take an NJ Transit bus home? If there's a problem on the train, the bus system will cross-honor his train ticket. See the NJ Transit website for route info.

There must be something in the air - just saw the aftermath of a fender bender on my commute. Be careful out there!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

No mischief night in Queens or the part of Bklyn I lived in. There wasn't anything by me last night either.

And I'm glad the pedestrian is ok...I was almost that pedestrian last week. Freaking car took the turn WAY too fast and missed me by about 6 inches. And I was in a very well lit crosswalk, there's no way he could have claimed he didn't see me. Oh yeah...he kept going after he narrowly missed me. Freakin' NJ.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Remind me to never ever ever get on the roads there.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Here, if you're not a defensive driver you can end up with a student shaped hood ornament in no time. (Popular wisdom seems to be that if you'er crossing the street, and don't look at the vehicle, it can't hit you.)

As for Chatty Cathy....I used a radio (predates MP3 players)and a headset to mitigate the annoyance. Worked like a charm.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

honey, my chatty kathy, has taken to show me some ugly growth shit she has on her face and how it's "healing" because some cream she's putting on it "is scraping away the skin." **BARF**

this has been every.fucking.day this week.

the gods help us all from the chatty kathys of the world.

ps: i get to see you in a WEEK!! YAAAY!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Yikes. I think I'd have to stay off the road for weeks after all that.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home