Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Jersey knit bloggers from up here near my exit on the GSP down to south Jersey have been commenting on our rapid descent into winter.

I'm not complaining!

I've sealed the windows.

The electric blankets have been pulled out of summer storage.

Hot chocolate consumption is on the rise.

When I use the oven, I crack it open a bit after I'm done with it to let some of that warm air out (no, do NOT run your oven while the oven door is open!).

And the cats are in full snuggle mode. Might as well make them earn those crunchkas I keep them supplied with.

100_6444

These two Alaskans and their Michigan-born boy aren't going to be swayed by daytime highs in the 40s and nighttime lows in the mid-20s to turn on these archaic, dangerous and highly expensive radiators!!!

Pishaw!

Popular to contrary belief, we do NOT reap any of the heat that Zorba the Landlord has on the bottom floor (I say this because I sort of froze a babysitter one weekend when I forgot that normal people turn their heat on and she watched Chunky for two hours in the cold--I had to convince her I'd turn on the heat for her the next time I called her to babysit!).

I've been down to Zorba's floor and it's like a sauna in there!! He may not spend money on a roof that doesn't leak, but he keeps his heat on his floor!

I wonder how long we can last before we cave and turn it on? I'm not ready to let go of my $65 a month electric and gas bill quite yet.

But speaking of Alaskans and cats--Dr. Mad Scientist and I read this article about "exotic" cat breeds in Alaska.

Now, I don't have the papers, but I'm pretty sure the coworker who gave me Springs paid damn good money for his furry ass--so I know he's not too "mutt-y."

She told me he is (and he somewhat matches the not-so-great-examples of) a bengal housecat. If you read the last sentence of that article we read today--he'd be illegal to possess in the state of Alaska.

100_6445
WHAT???!!!

It's OK Springs, if we ever move back up there with you, I'll demand a blood test!! I could never part with my Meaty McDoodle Cat!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

Um, isn't he declawed and neutered? I read that article, too. I guess they don't make exceptions, so your cat who couldn't procreate or kill would have to live in the states if you moved to AK. Hey, you could give him to me. I need a meaty McDoodle.

Did I tell you I've been having intense dreams about Corey the Cat! finally letting me pet him?

-T.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That's one badass looking cat!

Its freezing. I'm made of wimpy stuff. I need hear.

9:23 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I finally caved and turned on my heat last night when it was 58 degrees inside. I need to look into sealing my windows. I think you're on to something there.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Mamma said...

If I tell you it is still in the 80's where I am will you hate me forever?

and my word verification word was catful. It amused me considering your fugitive cat.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

How is Zorba's heat not making it's way up to you??
I went in Big Brother's room the other day and it was seriously toasty- he's on top of our kitchen. I like a cozy house in the winter but we hardly have to run the heat. The A/C, much more often and there's no way I am living without that!
I love the fur/pelt on those cats- it's pretty serious.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We have turned the heater on but I am a firm proponent of the "if you're cold,put on a sweater" philosophy. My oldest daughter's bedroom is over the laundry room where the heater is located. It is so warm it's almost obscene. My bedroom is over the unheated garage. Cold, it is cold there. I have thick socks and thick blankets. I am just grateful if the old heater keeps the downstairs over 50 degrees all winter.

7:09 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

aww, that last pic is so expressive! kitty looks like he is telling you exactly where to go.

i broke down and turned on my heat last night, but the thermostat is currently set at 50. the fact that it was colder than 50 degrees in my apt. told me it was time.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I hate running the heater. It makes me all stuffy, but for the kids I run it just a little bit.
That cat is seriously scary looking!! Cute though.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Complaining about feeling cold is merely a pretext for the wearing of maximum handknits, particularly if the resulting combination belongs on What Not to Knit.

Your handsome cat looks like mostly like a mackerel tabby to me, but who knows what the DNA test would reveal? He could be a tiny tiger!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, to set the record straight that cat that was lost up here was no ordinary cat. If you read Cat Fancy Mag they sometimes have articles on these cats. They are bred from a house cat and a wild cat. They are huge!!! In cat terms anyway. They can come up to the waist of a 6or 7 year old child, when they are on all fours. I know all this cause there is a girl that I work with that wants one of these cats. Plus they are very EXPENSIVE!! Love, Mom
PS: Getting into the 20's at night!!! PLEASE!!! We have been flirting around 0 and that is during the day!!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

I have nothing topical to say, but I think Big Pharma has hacked into blogger. My word verification is "detrol". You young women may not know what that is.
Bad memories, ugh, bad bad bad. ;-)

11:05 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That's one big kitty! I think that would scare Sherman to death!

The best thing about cold weather is hot chocolate and marshmellows!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

How can they say that wholesale? There are some cats that look like tigers, etc - but it's just that latent feline stripeyness.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

$65 a month for gas and electric? Wow! Either gas is super-cheap there in New Jersey, or you truly are freezing in there! I'm getting cold just thinking about it! I had my gas set at 68 all last winter and still got two $300+ gas bills in a row (to heat a 1,200 square foot house). My electric bills alone average $75 a month in the winter, and $120 or so in the summer with the window air conditioners.

My cat likes to go in the basement and sleep curled up next to the furnace.

5:54 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Man, y'all are made of much stronger stock than I am. I cave at 65!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

you are tougher than this Canadian girl. I liek my heat. Alot. In fact, the hubby andI have an ongoing power struggle. i want to turn the heat up and he doesn't.

10:47 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Fancy scaring your cat into that facial expression - love it! And I love your mom's PS - certainly puts our temperatures into perspective.....I must starting flirting a little more

8:00 AM  
Blogger mtn said...

Oh, I'm glad it's not just my bat-shit cats that are are in uber-snuggle mode. We joke that they're practicing for when they kill us by sucking our breath and can nest in our useless bodies...

9:48 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Ok... I seriously don't miss cold weather... but looking at your kitteh and the quilt on your bed make me overwhelmingly homesick. I miss cozy. I don't have a lot of cozy here. Just you know... hot... that's not the same.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home