Sunday, November 02, 2008

Commercialize The Vote! (And an FO of Sorts)

I finished a Christmas present yesterday. Possibly the fastest things I've ever freakin' knit. Cast on in the afternoon, bound off that night.

But they're a Christmas present--for someone who reads this blog (sporadically, but enough where I'm not going to post them). Therefore, I'm going to do the tacky knitblogger thing and link you to look at them at The Place That Shall Not Be Named.

I really hate linking like that (so exclusionary to knitters that don't choose to hop on that bandwagon)--but it is great when you want to show off stuff to knitters who do subscribe to that bandwagon but not to the recipients of said knitted gift. Ha ha!

Now I have to ask--is it Tuesday yet?

Has anyone noticed the start of the commercialization of November 4th?

You can shop the Election Day Sale at A.C. Moore with your 50% off coupon:

100_6411

Or maybe you can throw and Election Party with a veggie tray from Shop Rite:

100_6415

Watching Saturday Night Live last night (because sorry Oboner Supporters--your candidate is boring and really not very funny to parody, I couldn't miss McCane's appearance!) Starschmucks unveiled that they were giving away a free tall coffee if you walk into their store on Tuesday and tell them that you voted.

On Tuesday you can also walk into your local Ben and Jerry's Scoop Shop and enjoy a free scoop of ice cream from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.

If you walk into Krispy Kreme with your "I voted" sticker (which I have to say I have NEVER received in the 12 years I've been able to vote) on Tuesday you get a free star shaped donut with patriotic sprinkles (never mind that KK will give you a free damn donut just for standing in line any old day when the "hot light" is on--but oooo! Starshaped with red, white and blue sprinkles!).

Don't worry though, it's not all sugary foods and beverages! You can get deep fat fried too! If you walk into Shane's Rib Shack (a chain that appears to be primarily located in the southern US, but they've got a few stores in more northern states) wearing your "I voted" sticker on Tuesday you get a free 3 piece chicken tenders, fries and a 20oz drink.

I'm not sure what makes me want to vomit more--the idea of participating in all of these promotions in one day? Or the idea that this is what our country is heading towards?

I'm thinking about offering free yarn to any knitter/crocheter who can provide me with the receipt for their firearms purchased on November 4 because if we're going to bribe people to exercise their right to vote, let's be equal about it and bribe people to exercise their right to bear arms.

This is America right? The land of equality!!

Regardless, these sugary, caffeiney, fat-laden promotions should drive home the idea that we as a nation should be thinking about the future of our healthcare system because we're all going to be even more a bunch of overweight walking coronary diabetics if corporate America keeps bribing us to vote!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well being an underweight diabetic those promo's don't help me!!! I plan on voting anyway and hopefully for the person who will do this country some good.

Yes, this election is one sad and sorry one. We are getting all kinds of ???'s at the library about where to vote and when. Doesn't anyone read their mail? The state sent out an election booklet and it tells you all this good info.

Enough said! Love, Mom

11:40 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

If you think that's bad, a furniture store here in the Cleveland area actually had a Martin Luther King Day mattress sale on year. It's true! I heard it advertised on the radio.

If you mom thinks the questions about where to vote are bad, I got from the guy who asked me about absentee voting, and when I explained the process to him, said "Oh, I thought I could just vote over the phone". Scary, isn't it???!!!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I have never gotten a sticker either. Maybe my town is too worried about how we're going to pay the teachers' salaries to buy stickers.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Its really sad when we have to be bribed to vote. I mean, our ancestors died for the right to vote...but we need too bitter coffee to get us to the polls? Bleh! I'll be voting and brining Pi with me. I've been bringing her with me to vote ever since she was born.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

But did you see the Giraffe video on SNL last night? That one had me laughing so hard, I cried. The rest? a big "meh."

I just can't wait for Tuesday to be over so we can move on, already.

2:08 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Peaked at your project...adorable! And great idea too!

I think the only election day sale I could fall for is one where red, white, and blue yarn was on sale :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I have a vague recollection of a leap year sale not too long ago...

What I've noticed is how the businesses asking for us all to vote are using certain vocab words in their ads, some more subtle than others, to clue you in on which party they'd prefer you vote for.

Businesses and elections go hand in hand in a capitalistic society, after all.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

The US elections are an endless source of entertainment, and not all of it good! But it's hard to look away.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Mag said...

Our Nov. 4 polling place is a junior high school gym. It's a treat for me just to be allowed to set foot on school property and check out the tweens, which I NEVER get to see. They are so cute. tee hee.

Mr. Mag already voted early at the senior center. He came home with tales of grouchy elders yelling at their wives about how to vote and abusing the machines.

Watch out for that BJs ice cream. Last time I went there, the next day I had 'stomach flu' for a week. (I still suspect them of poisoning me.)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

I wonder if you get a free bj at the bunny ranch if you vote. That would mobilize Nevada voters!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Free crap if you vote. Notice the GOVT is not giving away anything. My hubby keeps saying htat he'll vote for the party that pays him to vote. He is totally bribable. Nobody has taken him up on it yet.....

9:03 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I love me some free food, but I also hate standing in line - and that part of me usually wins!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

All I know is that your grocery ad has some pretty high prices in it! Wow! Well, except for the Lay's Potato Chips. I could eat my weight in those! Ahhh....


Oh, our voting area is in walking distance of my house, like a 1/4 mile at a church...separation of church and state, forget it!

3:44 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Oh, and I get stickers all the time. nener nener nener

3:45 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Sugary snacks? Ha! The old Chicago machine used to give out free beer on Election Day. Because the bars were closed, of course.

I thought Sen. McCain did well - and Cindy was pitch-perfect hawking "McCain fine gold."

11:38 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Mabe free guns instead of donuts would galvnize the votes to turn out in droves. I know my hubbie would be first in line....
And ain't you sweet to knock yourself out making something for me! Cuz I KNOW I'm the last knitter on earth who hasn't 'sold out' to 'the man' called 'that which shall not be named'...

2:23 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Good grief, I haven't even noticed all those wacko promotions.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I have to say the idea of a star shaped KK is pretty enticing. But not to get me off the couch to go out and vote. I LOVE to push the VOTE button- it just makes me giddy. I can't f'en wait until I can turn on the TV and it's not about who is running or who won or why they won. Sick. Of It.

And I've always gotten my sticker, probably because of the kids in tow. I'm just glad Louisiana is not in the news for elections right now.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

See I'd vote for the donut....LOL

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home