Sunday, November 09, 2008

InspiraciĆ³n

Yesterday was amazing.

Chunky and I ran around like a crazed monkeys on crack to clean the house and do the grocery shopping so we could take off to the start of the Jersey Shore at a get together hosted by the cupcakeferous Karen...

It was so worth it!

I got to meet Karen's knit-nite (they knit at a bar..hee hee) buddy Jena, her neighbor Theresa (a fellow west-coast transplant who has eveb done some time in Texas!), Nancy who I haven't seen in nearly a freakin' year--way too long!, fellow Jersinian (Jerseyite?) Necia wearing her amazing 100% handspun February Lady sweater, RosiG who is just as amazing in person as she is on her blog, and one other lady, who came with Rosi and Necia and embarrassingly I didn't catch her name--but she was working on a Hemlock Blanket in a refreshing yellow color. I don't think I've seen anyone finish one of those in a color that isn't close to the original Brooklyn Tweed drab oatmeal color.

Chunky had a good time hanging with Karen's son, and Rosi and Jena's daughters.

I get home and I'm not sure if it was witnessing firsthand Rosi popping a certain cherry that I hope she blogs about (I won't spoil it here), the talk of Nancy's Second Life pole dancing endeavors, conversations about box elder bug shit, Necia's son's desire to devour an entire piece of livestock, or seeing the completely inSANE things Karen has been knitting, but I was hit with some inspiration.

It also helps that catalogue season is upon us.

I will be honest, now that Chunky seems to have many "cut out a picture of _____ and do ______ with it" homework assignments, I've subscribed to more catalogues as it's cheaper than subscribing to magazines!

One of those is the L.L. Bean catalogue (also ordered to see the stuff that excites my sister T. so much).

But in addition for being scissor fodder, like I said, they're kind of inspirational. It's also interesting to see what the latest sweater trends are.

100_6426

The token Irish Fisherman Sweater--made in Ireland. Although I doubt anyone but tourists wear them!

100_6427

Hmm...I'm not so sure about those Fair Isle Cowboy Boot Slippers. Too many mixed cultures in one piece of footwear.

100_6430

This sweatercoat is actually from a Delia's catalogue. I've been on their mailing list from waaaaay back when my fat ass actually fit their clothes!

100_6428

This L.L. Bean sweatervest hit me as sooooo last year. And for $50 + S&H, you could probably knit it yourself like TurtleGirl did out of Knitpicks yarn for the same amount of money if not less.

It was actually NOT a sweater that inspired me.

100_6429

It was this fleecy number.

Now I just have to wait for Christmas to be over and I can knit something similar. I'd cast on now, but I want the needles to be relatively empty for emergency Christmas knitting.

You know how it goes--as soon as you think it's all done, there's always SOMEBODY you forget!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Was it Marta that you got to meet with Rosi & Necia?

That sounds like a great gang to be hanging out with. I'm so jealous!

(And yeah, 6 balls of yarn for $2 each. My vest was $12.)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Now that you're friends with your sewing machine, try sewing some polar fleece stuff. It's amazingly easy to duplicate the looks of catalog items.

I was pleasantly surprised by a recent Lands' End catalog. Maybe they've changed creative directors recently or something, but for the first time in years there were a bunch of things I was coveting just because. You know, without actually needing them.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

it was so great to meet you, chicalita. you are such a sweetie in person (you have them all blinded on this blog thinking you're a toughie!) ;-)

thanks for holding my hand yesterday!!!

MUUUAH!

12:58 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Sounds like a perfect day!! Awesome!!

And I admit, I've been flipping through all the catalogues thinking of knits I could make for the past few weeks!

1:06 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Don't forget me on your list! (just kidding)

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with some wonderful people. Knitting gatherings are the best.

1:20 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What a great day!

LOL on the catalogs! There're half a dozen pics of sweaters and vests on my bulletin board right now that I cut from Hubster's Eddie Bauer catalog while muttering "I bet I can copy that..."

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun was had by everyone! Those catalogs can inspire, just don't let Chunkie cut out the good pics. Love, Mom

1:27 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I try to buy a couple of things on sale throughout the year so I have emrgency gifts. The people that get handknits are only the near and dear to me.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

How you managed to capture the afternoon/evening in a couple really funny, but oh so true paragraphs is beyond me. All those topics of conversation are so very....RANDOM. I had a great time, and I hope we can do it again soon. Maybe after the holidays and you've finished having people visit. :)

8:09 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

No pictures of yesterday's fun? Torture! I wish I could have been there.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

LL Bean is OK, but I really love Lands' End. They're one of the few catalog companies with nearly all of their women's clothes in short sizes. Plus, they have the best returns policy - you can return anything at any time, with or without a receipt, worn or not. I always buy my kids' winter coats from them, because they're made so well.

Anyway, lucky you to have all those knitting friends! Maybe it's a Cleveland thing, but I've yet to meet anyone my age or close to my age here who's interested in knitting or crocheting. It still seems to have an old lady stigma around here, sigh...

9:16 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I just cast on a yellow Hemlock Ring Blanket yesterday ;) maybe I'll take pics soon. The parents aren't finding out sex beforehand, so that left me green or yellow, haha

9:08 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sounds like you had a blast! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that does that with catalogs!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

The handknit look is all over the ready-to-wear market. You literally cannot look anywhere in the mall and not see it. Fancy stitches abound!

The meet-up sounds like is was great fun. I plan on making the Hemlock someday, in dark red, to go on a green velvet chair. BT is a little too attached to the "Male Pattern Blandness" standard for color. However, he has branded himself as an urban-sophisticate so beiges and grays fit the brand.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Those slippers are really odd.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love L.L. Bean! But it may be because their "flagship" store is less than a half hour drive from where I live, and old Leon Leonwood was a Mainer himself ;). It's all about keeping it local ;) (La, la, la, la. I can't hear you! Don't tell me all their stuff is made in China. I don't want to know!).

I'd wear those sock things. They look really warm :).

2:44 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I know can you believe it that its been a year? It was great seeing you and Chunky again! It was a great afternoon,,, I miss hanging with everyone.

Oh, just one thing ,, I will forward a Pole dancing screen shot just for you! I should only look that good!

12:58 PM  
Blogger whichendisup said...

It was awesome meeting you and Chunky! I think it will be a very long time before that conversation is beat in the funny dept.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home