Thursday, November 06, 2008

No Fair!

Since there's really no knitting going on aside from my Pioneer Braid Scarf (I'm afraid to cast on anything big at this point so close to Christmas--I know as soon as I do, I'll find some kind of knitted Christmas gifts that need to be made--and I'm a 3-projects ONLY at a time kinda girl) I'm going to blog about Chunky's day.

New Jersey schoolkids didn't have to go to school today or tomorrow because of the NJ Teacher Hootenanny 2008. It's just a bit of hoot with a little bit o'nanny.

The YMCA, who also does his aftercare at the school on normal school days, has a pretty extensive inservice program.

For $42 a day (for Y members) your kid gets to do cool stuff on their days off from school.

Tuesday (election-inservice day) he got to participate in a mock-election and then they walked to the Y where they swam and played in the gym.

Today he did something that I am insanely jealous of--they had a tour of the Meadowlands.

100_6419
All Access Pass Baby!

They went to the racetrack (horses), got to check things out at the IZOD Center (basketball games, theater, concerts, etc.), and then they got to go tour Giants Stadium.

He got to go down to the field! He got to go into the Jets locker room! He came back with all of these really interesting nuggets o'knowledge about the salaries of football players and what the grass is made of on the playing field (recycled tires).

I'm so jealous!

100_6420
Chunky wanted to take a close-up pic of his pass.

Man, when I was in first grade I never got to do such cool things. I think we got to tour the post office or something. Admittedly exciting when you're in first grade, but nearly every town has a post office!

This kid is so lucky to grow up in a place with all these things I only ever just heard or read about or saw on TV growing up!!!

The Y effin' rocks--and I'm not even a young man OR Christian!

Tomorrow? He gets to go bowling. Sigh. Think my bosses would be OK if I called in sick to go bowling?

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Rebel said...

When I was in school we toured the Wonder Bread factory... which was awesome because that's also where they make Twinkies, so we each got one. Score!

6:41 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That sounds like an awesome day! I'd be jealous too!

8:16 PM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Lucky kid! I don't recall touring anything particularly exciting as a child, and I live in the national capital!! We have lots of seemingly-interesting buildings to visit.

And kudos for the Buffy reference. I'm watching season 4 and about to be sad about Oz. As I always am.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

The local kids get to tour the Hershey Chocolate factory. All I ever got to do was the local nature preserve. Boring.....

9:18 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

How FUN! And for only $42? They'd charge us grown-ups about 100 times that much to do the same thing! Suddenly that $15 Big Wheel that I had to entertain me at his age seems a little bland...

9:32 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..woohoo Chunky! I'd say go for it and go bowling LOL!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

That's way more fun than the Y programs offer up around here. I know because I used to work at the Y.

Chunky's a lucky kid to do all that!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

That is cool! Let's see, had you been living in the Ozarks, lil' Chunky would have probably toured Bass Pro Shops, The Wildlife Wonder Museum, and what else, oh Walmart!!!! LOL :)

4:46 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Why is it that Chunky is living a more exciting life than we are? I want to go to the Y! Except that our local Y closed a year ago due to lack of members. It was a great place.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

That is one cool Y trip. My most exciting school trip was to Hadrian's Wall. Not sure if a 2,000 year old wall compares favourably to the Meadowlands. I suspect not :0)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yeah, hi, I'm not even remotely a football fan (only watch the superbowl...for the commercials...and the beer at a party), and even *I* would have loved that!! Lucky kid!

I'm with Rebel...I toured the Wonder Bread factory, and I think we got Twinkies at the end of the tour as well. I toured the Budweiser factory too (as a teen)...but was too young to get beer. :(

7:41 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

ummm...WOW
That sounds like a blast! Just what a kid needs, another reason to hope that you don't have to go to school.
I'm jealous

8:06 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Lost your address in a computer crash, but wanted to acknowledge your comment. Like her, don't like her, I don't particularly care, but hypocrisy, makes me crazy. Criticizing her political performance would have been fine--and appropriate. Sheesh.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I am wishing I was a kid again :)

9:04 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I remember fondly the pasta factory. Man that was so cool.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang! What the life of Riley that boy leads!!! You know that he will remember this his whole life. Love, Mom

9:24 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

It warms my heart to know he's getting to go on such cool adventures!

I remember going to the Hostess Factory where they gave us treats at the end(yay!) and a Foodmaker, Inc. factory (Jack in the Box) I think we got a hamburger at the end. But an all-access pass? never!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Get your butt over to my blog...there is an award for you!!!!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I know what you mean! I try to volunteer for the field trips not necessarily out of parental concern anymore - but because *I* want to go!

If it means I have to wrangle a few 6 year olds, so be it!

10:33 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Love me a Daniel Osborne quote! (now you know I'm a total Buffy nerd).

MAN! The Chunkster gets to do all the cool stuff! All access to the Meadowlands and Swimming and Bowling?!?!?! Can I go back to first grade again?

2:29 PM  
Blogger Mag said...

You are so cool Chunkito!

The coolest thing we got to see on a school field trip or a Girl Scout trip was "Montezuma's Castle' AKA ancient native cliff structure in Arizona. We did do a copper mine/smelter and the ice cream plant in downtown Phoenix (free ice cream!), but the castle was the best.

Oh, to be six again.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, that puts our Cleveland YMCA's to shame! I had a YMCA membership for 3 years through my last job, and my neighborhood branch had an awful selection of kids programs/classes/activities all that time. Now that I don't have a membership (can't afford it anymore) they start offering a lot of great stuff for kids. Sigh...

That really is an awesome day for a first grader, though! I don't remember going on many field trips in elementary school, except for going to the orchestra a couple of times (which I would enjoy now, but as a kid, I had to fight to stay awake during).

6:36 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Awesome trip! I don't remember even visiting the post office as a kid.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home