Friday, November 28, 2008

Put a Fork In Me!

Ahhhhhh...what a nice Thanksgiving!

000_0210

That's our free turkey.

Shoprite had a deal--from sometime in October to Thanksgiving if you spent $300 in groceries, you earned a free turkey or a lasagne (because here in Nueva Jersey and NY, people of Italian heritage don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving, they eat lasagne--I actually learned of this tradition from an Italian friend of mine in MI who would go to visit her granny on Long Island every year. I didn't believe it til I walked past the noodle and tomato sauce aisle last November!).

The weight limit on said free turkey was 21 lbs.

Dr. Mad Scientist being the intrepid turkey diver that he is, was able to score us a 20.69 pound turkey out of the pile o'turkeys last time we went shopping!

Hahahahahah! Even though there's only three of us eating, I wasn't about to NOT fully capitalize on all 21 pounds of free turkey! We'll freeze the leftovers, eat turkey sandwiches and pull out the Crockpot Bible and see what we can come up with in the turkey department.

The only problem was when I went to put our 20.69 pounder in my normal roasting pan--about three inches of the bird stuck out!

It was off to Kmart for me!

I couldn't believe how many people were at Kmart at 11:00 a.m. on a Thanksgiving morning! What's all this talk of the economy tanking???

Anyway, I got my $10 ginormous roasting pan (so I guess in essence our free turkey wasn't really "free." But I will use the roasting pan again!) and Thanksgiving was saved.

The Furbag Twins even split a can of wet food--Turkey n'Giblets--in honor of the day.

000_0209

And after we sat down to eat our feast...

000_0213
Note the turkey hanging out of the SAME side of Chunky's mouth as the picture from yesterday--I guess some things never change!

It was time for cake,

000_0215

And presents!

000_0216

Before I leave, did anyone notice the proliferation of knitting references in this year's Black Friday ads?

I have no intention of getting up at the buttcrack of dawn to wrastle people for deals on anything, but I like "window shopping" the Black Friday ads every year in the paper.

Plus our TV is slowly starting to die, so I thought I'd scope prices on them. Nothing doing--since we're not in the market for a 19" squint-o-matic TV or a 62" taller-than-I-am TV, we'll make do with our funky picture TV until she dies a formal death.

Anyway, I spotted needles in a IKRAPA (IKEA) ad:

000_0207

If I put my knitting at the foot of the bed like that, it would be turned to shit by the aforementioned Furbag Twins in no time.

And then there was this one from Vintage Armada (Old Navy):

000_0208

Holy lord, I've seen orgasms faked better than what those two models are doing!

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

We got a free turkey for spending so much money too. Fortunately my in-laws are coming to visit tonight and Mom's going to cook it because I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. It is great to see knitting in the ads. We're going mainstream!

8:45 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I may have to go and see if I can score any post-thanksgiving turkey deals. I wouldn't mind a bunch of leftovers in my fridge! That's the thing about going elsewhere for thanksgiving. Not nearly as many hot turkey sandwiches in my future. =(

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Chunky!!! Oh! I was wondering if you got a small turkey cause it has room in that pan. My turkey was a 22. something and my pan just fit it, but I think that it sprung a leak cause I had to put a cookie sheet under it to stop the dripping and burning in the oven. Love, Mom

1:01 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

That turkey looks like it was perfect! I can't believe how big Chunky is getting. :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Kudos for scoring the biggest turkey you could - and I think the $10 cost spent on a new pan will wash out the next time you use it.

I noticed the lasagna thing around here as well - but here it is a vegetarian lasagna - and the explanation the store gives is that not everyone eats meat.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I laughed at the Old Navy ad.

Jack had a can of Chicken and Turkey Casserole with Brown Rice and Garden Greens. Was free in the kitty litter. What a name for food, eh?

I have a great turkey soup recipe. Perfect for the tiny crap pieces you pull off the bones.

1:56 PM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Growing up, we always had Lindsay Brown's Turkey Hash with the last of the leftovers. If I recall correctly, in involves some canned soup and some croutons, but it was goooooood!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Our big roaster pan is packed in a box somewhere. When we thought we would move about 4 years ago, we packed everything we could live without for a while and that never got unpacked. But, fortunately, I always look for the smallest turkey (ours was just 11.24 pounds and fit in a 9 X 13 pan, barely). Anyway, buying necessary cookware doesn't count toward the cost of the meal: it's not a consumable.

Love the ads use of knitting as props. I wonder how many marketing types it took to come up with those concepts.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, and I forgot, tonight I'm making the Chicken/spinach recipe from Knitcircus #4 with turkey. Just another idea for getting your money's worth from the 21 pounds o'bird.

4:01 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Yummy!! Looks like you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

4:36 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

We love turkey leftovers enough that we bought a turkey breast and we'll cook it for dinner tomorrow. Like Turtlegirl said, that's the one down-side of going elsewhere for Turkey Day. No leftovers. I specifically miss the stuffing. YUM!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Wow, good looking turkey there! I make a casserole often with my leftovers, make some rice/roni,(heck you could use plain rice) add cheddar cheese, sour cream, and turkey chunks, serve w/veggies..Hope this gives you another idea ;) interesting ads too!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Score one for the Dr. MS :)

I've never heard of the Italian food thing, but where I am at, it is redneck country ;)

Happy Birthday to Chunky.

I wish you lived a bit closer, because I just gave away a perfectly good 25" TV on Craigslist.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Is your teapot a lady bug??

Dr. MS scored with that turkey!! Turkey enchiladas is my suggestion for the 18 pounds of leftovers I'm guessing you have :)

Our LYS is having a blowout today. I swear I have no need for another anything resembling string and MM may flip out but I am SO tempted to just go check it out...

7:28 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Your turkey looks awesome! That pan will come in handy next time you score a 20 pound turkey too! The ads are hysterical, especially the Old Navy one. Looks like Chunky had a blast!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Our local grocery store changed the promo this year. You had to buy 50 dollars of Ocean Spray products to get the free turkey. It would have cost me more to buy the cranberry stuff (which we don't like that much) so for the first time in years, I had to buy a turkey.

8:23 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Happy Birthday to Chunky!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL that's so true about the Italian people! My dad was Italian (was, because he passed away 3 years ago), and we had rigatoni with homemade sauce, meatballs, sausages, and neckbones for every holiday, special occasion or birthday, and yes, that includes Christmas and Thanksgiving. We'd have a turkey too, but it would get pretty much ignored in favor of the rigatoni! My dad was a wonderful cook - I really miss it.

I don't go to the stores on Black Friday, either. I usually don't have any money to spend, and if I did, I wouldn't want to deal with all the pushy, rude people. Did you hear about the Walmart worker who got crushed to death by a stampede of shoppers at a Long Island Walmart? It was in the NY Times. The shoppers actually broke down the doors to get into the store. So, saving $200 on a TV is worth taking someone's life over? It's just sickening.

Happy belated birthday, Chunky!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Gotta love the free turkey. Mine and Lucky Husband's mill gave each employee a free turkey, so that was 2 for us. I guess it was like "sorry we are laying one of you off for 3 weeks at Christmastime, have a turkey or two". I guess I shouldn't complain, since I'm only one of about 70 employees (out of 600) that will be working, but crap!
Looks like Chunky had a Happy Birthday. How old was he?

8:53 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

If you still have the bones you can make a great soup. I ended up with about 12 quarts and put most of it into the freezer.

6:51 PM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Free turkey is free turkey - woohoo!

Happy Belated Berfday to Chunky by the way *hugs*

OMG the Italian Thanksgiving thingy was rampant all over NJ/Staten Island lol - my exhusband used to drive me nuts...


Big hugs to the B family & kittehs

xoxoxo

roxy

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

At my local supermarket, Food Bazaar, the turkey was free with a $200 ON THE SPOT purchase (not accumulated over two months) AND it couldn't weigh over 14 lbs. Cheap fucks.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home