Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Past

Ok, no FO today as promised. I forgot how time consuming an applied i-cord edging was!! But soon!! It's another knit-free post. Sorry!

Grandma's Christmas box arrived this past weekend and in it was a really cute little snowman who has earned a place on my Christmas snowman shelf:

100_6489

Chunky was very impressed that Grandma made this on her own. Hee hee.

Receiving this snowman from her, along with some idle internet surfing time on my hands made me think about the Christmas decorations I grew up with.

I remember Mom's Plastic Santa Lamp. One of her first grown-up Christmas decorations she purchased on her own if I remember rightly?? (She'll pipe up in the comments if I'm wrong.)

Santa Lamp

I'm not sure what the etiquette is for stealing pictures of stuff off Ebay, etc., so I'll link back to the listing.

Then I had a blast from the past when Chatty Cathy tacked three "patchwork" ornaments she made back in 1979 up in her cubicle at the beginning of December.

Ornaments
(don't pay attention to the plastic needlepoint ornaments...I'm talking about the stuffed ornaments in this picture)

I remember Mom made a ton of ornaments very similar to the Chatty Cathy ones. But hers looked more like the ones in the picture above. I want to say I have memories of having ornament "fights" with the siblings where we would pelt one another with these things like one would throw a snowball.

I also remember decorating the tree and Mom always getting to hang her beloved Campbell Soup Kid ornaments up at the top of the tree away from little hands who might ruin them. Or bite into them like apples like a certain Younger Brother did with a different glass ball ornament when he was about 3 years old.

Campbells

I think she puts these in her curio cabinet now to prevent little furry paws from destroying them.

And finally, while this isn't the exact same nativity scene I grew up with, it's pretty darn close.

Nativity

I have very fond memories of us kids begging my dad to "work" the nativity scene and reenact the birth of Baby Jesus.

In the typical fashion of my Old Man, it was pretty ribald and slapstick. I want to say it even involved true-to-life grunts of Mary giving birth to baby Jesus, and other hiliarity that you had to be there for--or at least be 6 or 7 years old and younger to truly appreciate!!!

Yeah, we'll probably be going to hell for that one.

I could probably wax poetic about walking down Christmas memory lane, but I'll spare you. But I'm curious as to what little Christmas knicknacks stick out in your memory?

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

I have a plastic nativity that is missing some of it's sheep and has only 2 wisemen left but it's not christmas until it comes out of the box. For my husband, it's a milk cart and horse from the train set when he was little. The poor thing has more glue than plastic at this point so i put it in a place of honor in the china closet where it's safe.

7:06 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Um, you forgot the blow-up Santa. Who wants to give Santa a blow job this year? haha!

Good post!

-T.

7:26 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

We have that SAME nativity - bought piece by piece at a local 5 & dime. Did I just say 5 and dime??? Do they still have those???

7:51 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Love the snowman! My mom made me a stuffed angel one year with a needle point face - I just loved it and made a couple for friends. And we totally had those sew-em-up stuffed ornaments, I think that was one of the first sewing projects I was allowed to 'help' with - I loved stuffing them!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I will have to take a picture of one of the few elves that I have that are from a VERY, VERY, VERY old holiday table arrangment. I loved that thing, and was sad to see it finally fall apart.

That is just bad about the nativity scene. I mean, really.

9:31 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

My mum bought a dated Christmas ball every year beginning with the year she moved out on her own (19, oooh, 74, I think). Several years, my sister and I hung those balls in chronological order. Decorating the tree took forever! But I loved them, and plan to get Peanut her own first Christmas ball this week.

We always used the same tree skirt, too, made of dark green corduroy with appliqued stars and doves on it. Mum has gotten a more stylish tree skirt, now, and DH and I have inherited the green cord. I love it. :)

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nativity set??? I have no idea what you are talking about there!!! Now if you had said that it was an Activity set I would have known what you were talking about!! Your father always did the line...."Joseph! Hurry the baby is coming!!"

Yes, that light up Santa was one of my first Christmas decorations that I bought on my own. My star for the top of the tree also, but it don't light up now. Your Youngest Younger Sister found a star very similar for her tree at Target.

This time of year is for making memories. Chunkie is going to remember ALL the delicious cookies that his Mom use to bake.

Love, Mom

10:02 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

My mom was artistic in nature and all her Christmas trees were compositions in a style or color. One year she decided all the glass ornaments had to be gold. So we set up an assembly line and spray painted every last one of them gold. She did pine cones and appallingly, candles. Then she branched out into other household objects and was in danger of becoming the spray paint Midas but she soon moved on.

In my own ornament collection, the oldest is a felt angel with delicate yarn hair that a co-worker gave to me Christmas 1978.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

I remember those patchwork ornaments from our tree when I was a kid -- my mom made them! I wonder whatever happened to them... I may have to go spelunking in my dad's basement on our next trip home! I love all the Christmas memories...

10:49 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Granny had this porcelain sleigh that you'd wind up and it would play Jingle Bells. Mom still has it. It's really really old and it's amazing the thing still plays.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

My mom made those ornaments with the foam balls where you put sequins and beads on a straight pin and put them all around the ball. They were great. :)

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Santa that my Mom bought back in the 1950s. I think the price tag is still on the bag it came in. My brother and I would fight over who got to hold Santa in the yearly Christmas card photo. I think my Mom would go through a roll of film hoping she would get a good picture. Thank God for digital cameras now! Love, Aunt Susan

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

My Mom used to have these gingerbread men ornaments...they were made out of styrofoam or some other semi-toxic substance. They were painted brown and hand beads and glitter all over them. I remember pulling them out ever year, and every year more glitter was missing or a bead or three and, on occasion, on of the ornanments itself disappeared. Guess they wanted to spare the gum drop buttons.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

ahhh thanks for the memories! Love your new Santa. My grandparents had that nativity and I loved it! Wished I inherited it though...she also used to have those huge plastic Santas and soldiers on the porch too.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Mine isn't a Christmas memory per se, more of a St. Nicholas Day event... my best friend and neighbor's dad was a pastry chef, and every year, he'd leave a beautifully decorated gingerbread house by the door for me to find. This collaboration between him and my parents had me believing in St. Nick way longer than most kids!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

My clearest memory of Christmas is one year when I woke up early to sneak a peek in my stocking. My dad woke up and caught me red handed with my arm elbow deep in the stocking, haha.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Those stuffed ornaments--are those the ones that are printed on fabric along with the cutting and stitching lines? I remember those things!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Oh wow, it took me a while to remember...but "It Came From the 70s" for sure...an ORANGE plastic-type ball with all kinds of beads macra-made (sp) to it and dangling with fringe...It's probably still in the attic/crawl space as my mom doesn't go up there for xmas any more...in fact my little brother was just describing the plastic tree they used and I had no memory of it as it was purchased years after I left home...

But yeah, my older brother and I used to dig and dig and dig to find that thing to put it up on the tree. I think we were both horribly fascinated by it.

11:14 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

The baked doughy lumpy ornaments we made in Brownies, of course! The only one I remember off the top of my head is one of a candy cane. Prolly because the others broke. They weren't the sturdiest of things.

12:20 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I love posts like these!! I may have to do a whole blog post to answer your question!!

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Nicolette said...

My mom used to decorate our home with crafty Christmas ornaments.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Neat to think about past decorations.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home