Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Present

Ok, so I promised an FO.

Sadly I just have a WIP.

100_6490

I just have the neckline applied i-cord left to do and then I have to block the hell outta this little baby sweater. That should happen today. I'm excited I'll have it done in time for Chunky's teacher before she leaves for Winter Break/Maternity Leave.

Chunky informs me that his replacement teacher is pretty cool. Her name is Ms. Hayek. I can't help but wonder if maybe Salma has a little sister?? Hee hee, I'm sure she hears that all the time.

Instead of highlighting my shoulda-been-finished knitting, I figured I'd continue with my Christmas decoration theme.

I got to looking around the house and picked a few things that if the place ever burned to the ground, I'd be upset they were lost. Not so much Christmas past-stuff-I-grew-up-with, but decorations I've acquired for my/our own.

First up is the fake Christmas wreath.

100_6497

I made this Christmas of 2000 using the fake poinsettas we had leftover from our wedding (yes, real Cheapasses get married using fake flowers). The silver ribbon is also from our wedding decorations. It's very fakey-plastic-y looking, but I dig it.

Second up is the needlepoint plastic canvas Christmas/Winter Village my Grandma (my Mom's mom) made for me as a kid.

100_6492
(the gazebo has seen better days!)

Each year for Christmas for years Grandma would gift me a new building or tree (The trees are actually crocheted--not needlepoint canvas).

I want to say she picked up the pattern book to make this village when she and Grandpa came up to Alaska in 1989 to visit all of us (a very big deal as I've only really met my Grandma twice in my lifetime if you exclude the time we flew down to the Lower 48 when I was like 2 for my Uncle Joe and Aunt Susan's--hi!!! Aunt Susan!--wedding).

And when I see a new or unique ceramic little figurine that you see for all those ceramic Christmas villages, I'll pick it up.

The past few years I've been trying to integrate my village. Next time you're in Michael's or Joann's look for non-white people figurines, they're pretty damn hard to find!

Finally, is the coveted picture of Chunky with Santa Claus.

100_6494

Now we've never taken Chunky to see a mall Santa (ugh, standing in line, all that pressure to buy pictures and crap...) but back in 2005, my firm had their Christmas party at Munn Ice Arena (where the Michigan State Spartans play) and as Santa was a client of ours at the time--one of the attorneys arranged for him to show up.

I love this picture of Chunky and Santa because if you look really close--you can see he's holding Dr. Mad Scientist's (off camera) hand!

A few days after the party the Lansing State Journal did a little interview with the same guy that does Santa, Emil Kletke, so I clipped the article. As luck would have it, Santa came in the week that article appeared to sign some documents at the firm and I had him autograph the newspaper article.

I did a quick Google on Santa, and at 82 years old, he's still making the rounds as Santa in Lansing.

And now the question I leave you with today is like the one I left you with before: What's your favorite current/newer holiday decoration??

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I love the pictures of my kid with Santa and one of myself and my little cousin Hannah (who's about to get married!! Wow we're old!). I also am super fond of my Hallmark ornaments. I pick out one for myself and the kids each get one (or two) for themselves every year. Those and the construction paper and picture ornaments they send home from school.
A close family friend of ours inspired me to do my tree with Hallmark and homemade school ornaments when I saw her tree with all of the ones from her three boys growing up. It's so precious!

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the year wrong on Grandma and Grandpa's visit...it was 1991! You were 13 and Your Youngset Brother was 3. Your Aunt Mary B came up to see us in 1989. Remember she was thinking of using stinging nettles as TP in the woods? Thank the higher beings she didn't!!

My favorite thing about Christmas and this time of year is the music. There is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable than Christmas music.

Love, Mom

9:36 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Um, my favorite Christmas decoration of past is the blow-up Santa--duh. And for my favorite christmas decoration of present is the Bumble my gentleman friend has (not technically mine, but if the Bumble wasn't my favorite, I'd be ke-razy!).

-T.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

i LOVE disco balls. love them. have one over my bathtub that spins (the ball, not the tub, hahaha).

My tree has tow huge ones and a few small ones. I buy them randomly so they aren't all matchy-matchy, as far as disco balls go.

god i love disco balls.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I neglected to comment yesterday. Fav past decorations include the very old ornaments that belonged to my mom and dad. They are on the tree again this year; I just can't part with them.

Fav new decoration? My new Hallmark ornament for the year: the New Home 2008 one. :)

Mall Santa picture taking...We've only done it a couple of times...one of the first was when we were in FL...NO line. I have never waited more than 20 minutes with the kid to see Santa. I refuse to do more than that.

9:52 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Ive found that a lot of local libraries have a Santa thing - no mall, small line, and any photo that is bought is a donation - its all good. We are in the process of making our first holiday traditions since the boys sorta understand it - we are going to try decorating cookies and watching Rudolph. We also go to Frankenmuth the day after Tgiving to get an ornament...god I hate that place but im keeping my fam tradition alive and hope they will torture their kids with the same.

11:37 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i used to love making plastic canvas barbie furniture. i think that may have been my first craft. it was a slight leap then to cross stitch and then crochet.

thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Hey, I'm looking for non-white Christmas village figurines, too--if you find some, let me know where!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you were 2 when Uncle Joe & I got married. That makes you old and Uncle Joe & I really old. I never like Santa. I guess fat guys in red suits scared me. Sean, Sam, and Erin were never hip with Santa either. Genetics I guess. Got to love the plastic canvas. I made several gingerbread houses out of the plastic over the years. Love, Aunt Susan

5:11 PM  
Anonymous marymac said...

I think your Xmas village needs a Caganer, if it doesn't have one already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer . My new favorite international Xmas tradition.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

The plastic canvas your grandma made you is so sweet. What a memory!

My favorite newer decoration is an easy one! Last year, Pi's girl scout troop went to one of those painting clay places. She picked out an "I love Mom" ornament, painted it and they heated it to make it nice and shiny. She painted her name on the back. Totally my favorite now!

6:04 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hee hee, love the disembodied hand in the Santa pic! There's a pic of me at Something Gardens with a parrot on my arm, and a disembodied hand holding my arm up because damn if those things weren't heavy!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Bezzie, you crack me up - I was laughing about your trying to integrate your Christmas village, LOL! I'd be happy just to find a doll or figurine that even looks like my kids!

Hmmm, I don't have any cherished, family heirloom Christmas ornaments. I had this really pretty painted glass snowman ornament with my name on it that my sister gave me for Christmas some years ago, but one of the kids dropped it on the wood floor last year and broke it (we've since switched to all plastic ornaments since moving here).

9:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

P.S. The sweater looks beautiful so far!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love that liitle hand holding daddy's...too sweet.

I love my nativity scene.....not the typical. It is all snowmen. Baby Jesus is a snowman and Amber use to sit real careful holding the baby Jesus snowman when she was little. So cute.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Laura Chin said...

Emil Kletke is a treasure! He worked at the Lansing Board of Water and Light with my Father, Grandfather and Great Grandfather. He would come to our house as Santa for our family Christmas party. Now, he lives right around the corner:) My children say "There's Santa's house!" everytime we drive by.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home