Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Done!

Sadly, this will probably be my last finished object of the year.

I've got the test knit that I might be able to 1/2 finish up counting as a half-FO. That should give you a clue as to what kind of knit it is!

Anyway--onto the sweater!

100_6499

The details:

Pattern: Tulips Baby Sweater

Yarn: Socks that Rock lightweight (mill end) from the Queen of STR, Irishgirlie. The color wasn't noted on the label. I think Weez called it right when she speculated this is probably a mill end of the Firebird color. Which is pretty close to the unofficial name I was giving it: Flamingo Sunset.

Needles: US 3

Notes: I seem to have this thing for knitting this sweater in sock yarn mill ends since the first one I did was out of Koigu mill ends.

This time I obviously kept it to one color of yarn. I also only really followed the directions for the cast on. And now that I see that picture, it almost looks like one sleeve might be a tad bit longer than the other. Ah well. I'm sure no baby is born with EXACTLY the same length arms, and it's not like said baby will be wearing the sweater and be all spread-eagle like that. She'll have her arms scrunched up!

As for sizing--that's the beauty of this sweater. The pattern was written for worsted weight yarn and the smallest size in the pattern is 3-6 mos. All you have to do to downsize it for a newborn is knit it on a sockweight/fingering yarn.

I was a little worried about the dark purpley splotches that made this yarn a mill end. But they ended up spreading out nice and evenly like they were supposed to be there.

100_6500

Overall, I'm happy with it and it will make a cute gift for Chunky's teacher expecting her second little girl next month.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Very cute! I need to get that pattern. Yours look better than the others on ravelry, mainly because of the sock yarn and not worsted weight

8:05 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

OMG! That's adorable... and of course I love the color. Does the pattern size up for 34 year old chubby girls? ;)

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a cute baby sweater! What Mom would not like getting it??? As for the purple specks that is what makes IT! They ARE purple!! Love, Mom

8:38 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I knew you'd have enough yarn!!! Chunkito's teacher sure is lucky!


Rebel - as a matter of fact - YES! The Loopy Ewe has the pattern in stock. I think it's something like "big sister's tulip". But it's grown up size.

2:25 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very pretty in pink! an heirloom-worthy gift that it's still ok to puke on. awesome.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Ahhh! Love it! I may knit one in sock weight, in fact was planning on it. Thanks! Did you use the whole skein?

6:02 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I love that! I agree with Mom...the purple really makes it pop. No one will notice the longer arm. I didn't see it until you pointed it out.

6:46 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Very cute! I dig it in one color! Well, lots of colors but one color*way*...

6:47 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

totally cute! teachers must like to see your presents! Way better than another "teacher" coffee mug

7:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Those aren't splotches, they're polka dots! I'm sure she will love it, too. Nothing like handknits for new babies!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Sweet baby sweater!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

It is a really pretty and useful gift.
I guarantee the purple bits will fade with washing.

10:02 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Oh I love it!!! I have that pattern and can't wait to use sock yarn with it!!! I think I have some STR for it too!

Very lucky baby!!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That is cute...great job!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home