Monday, December 01, 2008

Winner!

Drumroll please!

The winner of the November K.A.Y.E. yarn is....

Kenyetta!

Ah, but don't despair fellow November-ers that didn't have your name pulled! Your name still goes into the pot for the Grand Prize Mini Stash to be drawn for on January 1, 2009!

Closer to the end of the year I'll be displaying the Grand Prize Mini Stash that has been generously donated by knitters, crocheters and spinners throughout 2008.

And if you have no freakin' clue what the heck I'm talking about--click the K.A.Y.E. link up there in this post or on the sidebar, read the rules, and see if you qualify--or what you need to do to qualify.

I've already bought December's prize yarn and it's a doozy! That's all I'll say about that and leave you hanging for a week or so!

The rest of my five day weekend was good. Chunky and I finished mailing all but one Christmas present to the relatives far and away (i.e. all of them! Ha ha!). We visited the lie-berry to check out new books, and we went to A.C. Moore to score these little shelfamadoodles that were on sale for $15--normally $45.

Chunky is what you call a Legomaniac. It's a genetic disease that his father suffered (suffers?!) from as a child.

The boy, even for my self professed cheapassedness, has a large collection of Legos. He had about 16 cardboard boxes that he piled up behind his door that housed his various sets. It was getting to be quite the fire hazard and a PITA to grab a set from the bottom he might have wanted to play with.

So I set him to work assembling these $15 AC Moore shelfamadoodles. My parents gifted him with a toolbox and tools for his birthday so he was more than excited to get his screw on with his new tools.

On the knitting front, I'm still plodding away at my test knit. I swear to Fatzah, I am the world's SLOWEST knitter. But I've passed a complicated spot, so it should go a bit faster now.

As for the knitting I can show you, I cast on this over the weekend:

100_6451

It's a Tulip sweater (in one color) from a mill end of STR that Irishgirlie (Queen of STR) gifted me with eons ago. I'm not sure what the color is--it wasn't on the label. I'll call it Flamingo Sunset.

Who is it for? Why Chunky's teacher! At parent/teacher conferences we discovered (although I kinda suspected when I saw her on the first day of school...) that she is expecting her second little girl at the end of January. She's leaving teaching for the rest of the year on December 22.

Thank goodness I got all the Christmas knitting out of the way so I can make her this sweater! But poor Chunky! Last year his kindergarten teacher was fired at the end of December and was replaced shortly thereafter in January.

He's going to think it's NORMAL to have two teachers each school year!!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Suzanne said...

I love that yarn! Its really pretty!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Stickyfingers said...

That colourway is GORGEOUS!

8:59 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

That is perfectly pink for a baby sweater!! Can't wait to see it!!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Pretty color of pink...oh, and guess who needs your address AGAIN, for the what? 4th time? When will I learn? If I was a betting person, I would have to go with never ;)

5:07 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Irishgirlie is the best at STR, isn't she. What a great colour for the new baby girl.

We have some lego too. Does Chunky do the 'big boy' lego sets all by himself? My big boy still needs help. But that's ok, he loves to use the pieces to make his own creations. I have managed to mostly keep the sets separated in tubs, but if my memory of childhood is accurate, that may not last too much longer.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

My brother was a legomaniac too. He gave me a little space man to ride back and forth with me to college so I wouldn't get lonely. My kids were into knex. Expensive as hell but worth it for the amount of time they spent playing with them. And now I own a swift made of knex.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Chunky would love the Advent Calendar that my Father in Law gave LittleMan yesterday. It was a Lego Advent Calendar!!! Cutest thing EVER! Each day has the pieces to make something, a man, a grill, etc. It is sooo cute!!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the book on Leggo Land? Oh! the things that they come up with!!! It is a really cool book. If I lived near Leggo Land that is where I would want to work. Thank you, Melissa!! I have been trying to think of an Advent Calendar that did not have sweets in it. Love, Mom

8:26 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

I love the colorway... it'll make a great tulip sweater!

9:16 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I love the color of the STR! Oh -- and you're the 2nd slowest knitter, because I'm pretty sure I'm the slowest...

11:16 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm thinking maybe Legomania is a sex-linked trait. (Sorry, biology teacher joke. Maybe Dr Mad Scientist would snicker at it, but mostly it's just a bad joke.) Both my sons are Legomaniacs - even the 18-year old still wants Lego sets for Christmas

4:39 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Legos are great toys. I was disappointed when Pi didn't show them much love. They were some of my favs as a kid. Love the pink for the sweater.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Liberry - arrgggh! Hearing people saying "liberry" instead of "library" drives me absolutely nuts! : )

Wow, that yarn is beautiful! I'm guessing you'll the teacher's favorite parent after she gets that sweater!

I like Legos until they end up on the floor, and I step on one with my bare feet - ouch! LOL! Last year around Christmas when I was looking at the Legos at Toys R' Us, I couldn't believe how expensive they are now! I don't remember Legos being atrocious when I was a kid - I know there's inflation, but still, $40 for medium sized set of Legos??? Still, I'd rather spend money on something like Legos than on video games or electronic toys that kids get bored with within a few days.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Okay, so I just watched "Snoopy Please Come Home" via U-tube and Sally (Chuck's lil' sis) say "lieberry" where she just KNOWS Big Brother is taking her to trick her into learning how to read...

Yey for letting Chunky go wild with the tools! Best learn-em young so they don't end up like me and hurting themselves when a hammer or a screwdriver is involved.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Did they play Legos at my house when you were over? If not, they'll certainly have to next time....I just bought 2 big sets and two little sets for Xmas. All Star Wars. It took him awhile to get into the Legos, but I'm so happy he did. I love Legos.

And the pinky yarn? Mmmmmmmmmm.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

You're all-but-one done with Xmas gifting?! I bow to you!

Tulip is looking sweet. (I get pinky on the brain in winter.)

8:34 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

So, how did the shelfamadoodles work out?

11:56 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What, no pics of Chunky's Bob Vila-ish handiwork?

I'd hazard a guess and say that's a mill end of the Firebird nature. It's going to make such a purty Tulip!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home