Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Are You a Moron In a Cage?

Back when that TV game show, The Weakest Link, hit the American airwaves, Saturday Night Live did a spoof of it. Rachel Dratch was the insult-spouting Brit host (paving the way for Simon Cowell perhaps?) and one of the questions she asked one of the contestants was: "Are you a moron in a cage?"

When he replied, confused, "No." She spat back at him, "Moron on the loose!!!"

As Dr. Mad Scientist winds down his post-doc at Mt. Sinai and gets ready to enter school full time next week, I've been collecting money.

In other words, I've been submitting the claims for our 2008 Dependent Care expenses and calculating how much of the loans Montclair State University offered him we should take. (I feel like a financial squirrel--hording away little bits of money for the long winter year we have ahead of us!)

In this process I've come across a rash of what appears to be Morons On The Loose.

Take this screen shot from the Montclair State U website shows the first example I found:

Untitled-1 1.psd

You can't see it too well in this picture but the word intention has been spelled intenetion.

Today when I was printing the form to submit for our aftercare reimbursement for Chunky I found yet another lovely example.

100_6622

Provider verification is "necessary only if receipts is not provided."

Morons on the loose!!

Now my intenetions is not to make this post a total rant.

I'll leave you with cute baby pictures of Moochie modeling a sweet bib his Great Aunt Susan made for him that is almost too nice to spit up on!

100_6618

He'll get more wear out of that when it doesn't take up his whole torso and then some!

And a picture of him doing his "sexy" pose.

100_6620

That's also from Great Aunt Susan and Great Uncle Joe--a onesie that reads: Heartbreaker.

All morning long I've had that song stuck in my head:

You're a heartbreaker,
Sleeptaker,
Poopmaker,
Don't you mess around with me!

Sorry Pat Benetar!!

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Mag said...

Typos and mis-usage is rampant. We rely too much on spell check and not knowing the rules of the road ourselves. The speed of electronic communication is partially at fault. The persons who wrote those examples feel fine, after all they ran it through spell check, didn't they? Trouble is, you have to pay attention to what is going on in spell check. I mis-use the English language on a daily basis, and I was/were/done did an English major!
Sometimes peeps misuse for a reason. I know I do for humor or emphasis all the time.


Hey, cute baby!

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mag, has said if all. People misuse the English language all the time. Do they teach English and grammar in school anymore?

That Mooch is one cute little guy!! You better hurry and get as many pic of him as you can cause he is losing that "New" baby look already!!

Love, Mom

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

OMG he looks soooo much like Chunky in that second pic!!

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Cristi-Lael said...

Oy, that stuff just drives me crazy! My biggest pet peeve is when people don't know the difference between their, they're and there and two, too, and to.

11:23 AM  
Blogger prairiegirl said...

I can generally forgive typos. Really I can. I've been known to make a few in my own past. What I find to be more then just a tad annoying is when people speak improperly. The woman who does the newscast on my morning radio show just about sends me around the bend each day. I wish I could find an example to post on the web - it would be a perfect case in point for morons on the loose!!!!

On a much lighter note, your wee moochie man is adorable! What a sweet baby he is!!!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Vanessa said...

Not being perfect myself, I can find it in my heart to forgive the perpetrators, assuming that they probably knew better but were, perhaps, under pressure and, most certainly, human.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Cute baby pics always balance out rants.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that kind of thing bothers. I mean, it's one thing to have typos in comments sections or on email messages, but totally different to have a typo on a piece of PUBLISHED writing, like a website. Seems like someone should be ... I don't know ... proofreading. Don't people get paid to do that kind of thing?

I would be able to forgive such things if I didn't believe that "published" writing should go through several layers of editing before it's shown to the world.

Mooch sure is a cutie ... oh, and thanks - Pat Benatar has invaded my head ;).

2:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

the husbeast and I are constantly pointing out spelling and grammatical errors to each other. Nowadays, many people use spellcheck and pick the wrong word and/or don't realize it doesn't catch grammar etc mistakes. Idjits!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Things like that drive me crazy!!!!

The bib is absolutely precious!!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Whatever happened to proof-reading?! I never used spell check - don't write anything long enough to warrant it. Grammar is poor everywhere.

Except in our houses of course, I'm sure we're bringing our boys up to talk proper ;0)

Moochie is so awake now - he's adorable and totally not invading your blogspace at all :0)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..I always seem to catch others typos, sometimes not my own though eek! Gosh, in that picture he so looks just like Chunky!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Good grief, what happened to proof-reading?

I love Mooch's little sexy pose. He already knows that baby rolls are too cute.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Bezzie, you're silly!

My local daily newspaper has been cut down to almost nothing, and has moved most of their articles online, but their online articles have so many typos and grammatical errors. Considering the articles were written by professional journalists, and supposedly run by an editor, that's pretty scary!

That bib is too cute! And of course, so is the baby!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

I've been walking around all night shouting out Moron on the Loose whenever it seems appropriate. And as I taught my Confirmation class tonight it was super-appropriate.

Can I have a nibble of sMoochie, please? Just a wee one?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

I agree with Rosi - Moochie looks like MiniChunky!

Goodness, I wish I could remember some of our stellar examples of English language usage. Should start writing them down. At work we have a running list of commonly used "big words" - my boss is constantly looking for requisite something, etc.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I can understand typos in personal writings and such. But, I agree with you, a website for a University (my alma mater, although it was a lowly College then) should do a better job of proof reading their stuff. I obsess about it because to me it reflects poorly on the owner/writer of the material.

God, Moochie is a cutie.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

Every time I hear that song on Guitar Hero, I'm going to think of you. Except for the line about The Invincible Wiener.

Ok, it's Invincible Winner, but it sure sounds like Wiener. Give it a listen.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

All those places should pay you to proofread their forms!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got the gifts. Maybe you should have Mooch try modeling...he is so darn cute! He could make some big $$.

Who trusts spell check?

Love, Aunt Susan

10:08 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Hah! Our company weebsite is full of that kind of thing. And I have to admit, I'm not the best speller out there either. I like finding funny ones and I wish I had one to link to now.

3:01 PM  
Blogger maggie said...

You made me smile today :)

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home