Thursday, January 29, 2009

First You Get a Load In Your Pants...

..then you can start to do the dance!

First a brief explanation of the title of this post.

My Old Man is quite musically gifted. He can pick up basically any instrument and play it by ear. With the exception of the saxophone. His instrument of choice however, is the gee-tar.

As kiddies, he would entertain us making up songs and accompanying them on his guitar.

Now before you think we were a group of kumbayaying-huggie-lovey-dovey-Partridge-family wannabes that did nothing but sing songs for entertainment (we also used to go trolling for sharks* too!), the title and first line of this post are are the opening lines of a little ditty my Old Man composed called "The Shitbutt Shuffle" inspired by the way my Youngest Youngest Brother would walk when he had a poopy diaper.

But the songs weren't always about such vulgar things. A few of our cats had theme songs as well that I can still sing to this day.

Now, I'm telling this story not to make you jealous of my weird childhood rather as a segue into showing you what I did on my "snow day."

My Youngest Younger Sister is coming to visit in a couple of weeks and we'll be taking her into NYC.

It will be our first trip into the city with the Moochman and I realized that I don't have a changing pad for his diaper bag. I donated/freecycled Chunky's old diaper bag that had a changing pad.

I saw something on Etsy that someone was selling that looked easy enough to make but with my own modifications.

First I procured some cute fabric when I went to buy the Chunky Flippy Top Mitten buttons. I'm not sure what the official title of this print is, but I think "Jersey Traffic Jam" fits it well.

100_6690

I took an old hand towel (Dr. Mad Scientist's mother is constantly gifting us towels of every size for every occasion--I've got enough towels to dry the Russian Army!), and hauled out The Beast (my sewing machine), and got to work sewing the cute fabric to the old hand towel.

100_6691

I decided on a button closure (using a button Chunky found at school and brought home) since I thought I had velcro here at home, but apparently did not.

100_6692

It unfurls for maximum diaper-changing action.

100_6693

And when it's rolled up, it fits nicely into the diaper bag.

100_6696

And it's easily machine washable since hey, it's an old hand towel!

Of course I had to test it out to make sure it worked.

100_6697
Why yes, my offspring DOES have eyebrow dandruff!

It worked pretty good. Now Moochie is prepared to have his crappy pants changed on any funky NYC surface!

*Trolling for sharks is an entirely separate post.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

I love that changing pad! It's sheer genius, and it looks really cute. You are so inventive.

Our cats have theme songs too. Not quite as funny as the Shitbutt Shuffle, but pretty amusing if you know our fuzzies.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Very creative. I love the fabric choice too.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Bezzie,

That's adorable, and so clever! Of course, the baby is pretty cute, too!

My husband, and all of his brothers also play a lot of instruments, and can read music. I think my son got some of the musical talent, but it skipped over my daughter. Funny how that works.

I make up voices for my kids' stuffed animals and most of our pets have had "voices" too, so believe me, I don't think your dad
s pet theme songs are weird, ha, ha!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

My hubby writes theme songs for my cats too! My MIL is also constantly gifting us towels. Hmm, could we be some sort of distant relation by marriage??

6:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

P.S. I'm totally jealous that your sister gets to go to NYC!

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute changing pad. My first thought would have been the velcro instead of the button(I hate sewing those things on anything!). Have fun in NYC with your sis.

Your family would have been the anti-Partridge family. It would make a great sitcom.

I want to know about this shark trolling and was it something we missed out on when we visited your clan.

Love, Aunt Susan

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahaha!!!! I really needed that laugh!!!

Your YYB was the only one of you that would ever do that dance!!!

Oh! Trolling for Sharks!! What the family did while Mom was at work!!

Love, Mom

8:40 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I love that change pad, what a great idea! I'm wondering ... how did you sew the fabric to the towel and get such nice edges? Did you fold the edges of the fabric under? I'd like to make a horsey one for my sister (due in March).

I have been completely out of the loop for quite awhile. Congratulations on the arrival of Moochie. He is adorable. :)

8:41 AM  
OpenID MarieGrace said...

Dang... you're the MacGyver of Mamas! Great changing pad (and cute fabric!)

I'm so glad to hear that my household isn't the only one raising children to creative tunes. Mac daddy can play all of 2 chords on his guitar but he sure is good at making up little ditties. Our favorite at the moment goes to the tune of that recent pop sang "I kissed a Girl"... Mac Daddy's version starts out "I kissed a squirrel"... it gets worse from there.

Have a great NYC day!

8:50 AM  
Blogger vickyd said...

Absolutely ingenious! I bow to your MacGyver-ness...

8:59 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Ok, so that changing pad is so much better than the one that came with my crappy diaper bag (pun intended). It's too plasticky to fold up easily, and takes up way too much space. I'll have to get my mom to make one, since I have yet to get the sewing machine I was promised for graduation years ago ;-)
Have a blast in NYC... we're only a few hours drive from there, but I haven't actually gotten up the gumption to go yet!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Excellent sewing ma'am.

I think I know what trolling for sharks is all about. Fun times Dad!

10:46 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Thank you, because now I'll have "you do the shuffle" running through my mind along with "Sheeee's a veeedy nice caht! A veeedy nice caht! A veddy nice caht indeed!"

-T.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

I moisturize to my eyebrows nightly so I don't have eyebrow dandruff. It seriously upsets me.

Your changing pad is very clever and cute. No reason to spend a fortune for something that's just going to be poop smeared. I love that button, good eye Chunky!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Very creative! One of these years I will have to learn how to sew.

5:01 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Where do you find the time? It's very cute!!

(my word verification word is janilia--sounds like a rash that one gets only in january)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Awesome changing pad and the fabric is totally appropriate! You can tell Moochie has grown a ton already!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

You are a mother fracking genius, Bezzie.

The fabric could not be cuter and nor could the child :0)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I can't stop laughing about enough towels to dry the Russian army.

8:54 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Seriously cute!! The baby and the changing pad (it would make an awesome gift too! those vinyl ones that I've seen don't look that great).

And the childhood songs...well, I guess that's why we have youtube now...cause I would totally love to hear your dad's version!!

1:46 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Great job on Moochie's new pad ;) hehe..

10:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Damn girl, you are clever. It's pretty darn cute with that baby on it too ;-)

8:08 AM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

Goodness, we have themesongs for just about everything round here. I'm glad to know it's not just us. Although they are nearly all Max-based, as we have to pets at the mo.

That changing pad is ace. Stroke of genius, that is. I'm hoping we'll be seeing more and more of that sort of thing with the economy acting like a wounded bear.

And I bet that changing pad will last a lot longer than some pre-manufactured dealie, too.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Brilliant as always my dear.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home