Friday, January 02, 2009

Here Comes The Knit (and Crochet) Parade!

I'll be honest, since Moochman's* arrival date came near and happened, I haven't knit much.

I'm still chugging away on the test knit. But the test knit is colorwork, and as I'm a relative colorwork newb, I like to have a few hours of time to work on it at once. With Moochman being his moochie self, it's hard to find a few hours to do this.

But that's not to stop the handknits/crochets at our house.

You've already seen the lovely baby papoose that Christina made him.

100_6571

You've also seen the Candy Cane Blanket that Chris crocheted him.

100_6544

She let me pick out the pattern on that one--I'm a sucker for the Christmas-y colors. I know some people feel jacked having a birthday near Christmas but I think it's pretty damn cool that both my boys get their birthdays right around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

And I'm not sure if I posted this one or not, but I also like to tote him around the house (it's a bit colder in the living room--yes, we've turned the heat on! The bill is going to be horrendous!) in a blanket that Jo crocheted him.

100_6561

He's subsequently spit up on this one and it's in the laundry--hooray for acrylic. Seriously people, there's nothing better for a baby!

I decided today to stick him in a sweater that Poops knit him.

100_6577
See! He really is awake sometimes!!!

It's a baby Yoda sweater and quite cute on him if I say so myself.

There are other handknits awaiting him--but right now he's too small to wear many of them. Soon though!

I've been inspired by the aforementioned Christina and her forays into knitting. I figured I'd try picking up my crochet hook and dinking around.

Like I said on her blog--when I first started to knit, my first projects were just me dicking around. I didn't follow any patterns, I just kinda knit stuff. Granted, it was weird and useless and very garter stitchy boxy stuff!!

The same holds true for my early forays into crocheting.

100_6578

It's a funky doily, ruffly, useless thingy!

I guess it could double as an embarrassing baby hat.

100_6579
"Good Lord woman! Get that camera away from me! And get this thing off my head!"

I find it's much easier to crochet when one hand is rendered somewhat useless when you've got a mooch who is hellbent on snuggling instead of sleeping than it is to knit which takes two active hands.

*I'm thinking of ditching the blog-name "Jersey Boy" since I've taken to calling the latest addition Moochman/Moochie. Because he's well, kind of a mooch--always wanting food and diaper changes and snuggles. Jeepers, you'd think he was a baby or something! I'm finding kids are kind of like pets when it comes to blog names--they name themselves.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Your venture in crochet looks better than my first did. I swear, I just made square after square of single crochet for over a year before trying something that wasn't a square. Frogging crochet seems to be a lot less terror inducing too, since the stitch below will hold, even if you pull out the stitch on top.

Looks like Moochman has got some serious handmade love! I really like the Christmas colored blanket too.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

I love the candy cane bankie!

Look at the cute smiley Chunky!

Good crochet practice!

10:46 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

How cute is that Moochie!! Love all the handknits too!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Birthdays are only good near Christmas if they're before. By the time mine comes around (today), everyone's sick of partying!

Your crochet circle is great. Very adventurous :0)

Lovely baby pics :0)

my verification word : trido
I am trying, I swear!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Moochie-smoochie. I want to smooch his wee scrunchie face. Maybe nibble him for a bit. Precious little Padawan.

What does Chunkster think of being a big brother?

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

And he looks lovely in all of them :) How is Chunky liking big brotherhood so far?

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Cristi-Lael said...

You know, my oldest daughter was born November 28,a nd the baby was December 28 last year. What a coincedence...

Moochman is adorable! Enjoy it, next thing you know, it'll be December again and he'll be a year old!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm so excited that you're trying out crocheting again!

I love the little striped sweater - too cute!

And yes, there are those of us who feel cheated with Christmastime birthdays!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I've been crocheting here too.
I think Mooch looks just like Chunky- both are adorable :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Oh, crochet still scares me... I can do it if I have to, but it usually involves much online research, scary hook size testing, and a lot of anxiety. But, I think I like the little crocheted baby blankies better...

And, I vote for Moochie/Moochman. Very cute, and very nice that Chunky is watching over him ;-)

6:57 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Chunky and Moochie. It fits!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last pic the caption should have read...Hope me Andrew! Hope me!!"

Oh! What wonderful friends you have!! Those are some really nice blankies and sweaters!!!

Moochman/Moochie sounds like a fit. You know that there will be more!!!

Love, Mom

10:08 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Embarassing baby hat indeed! Too funny. You crack me up. If your baby posts are all like this, I wouldn't mind them.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..Moochie! Love it! Great picture of him and Chunky too! Like Chunky was saying to calm him down "get used to it, she does this all...the...time!" Great looking handknits! Lucky new baby.. :)

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Crocheting? HAH! Good for you.

He looks a bit like Chunky in the 'awake' pic. Almost like they're related, or something! :D

11:49 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Oh, the sweetness! I agree, Moochman is a 'way better blogname than Jersey Boy.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

What beautiful gifts for your little man! I love all the photos. He is just a gem!

I have tried crochet but nothing too serious. I love the way it all looks....maybe one day I will do a cute hat or something!

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home