Friday, January 09, 2009

I Am Pathetic

Right before or right after Thanksgiving (I can't remember which) Dave asked me if I would be interested in test knitting one of his patterns.

I jumped at the chance since they were colorwork mittens and for some reason, I have had the urge to knit colorwork mittens. Normally I'm not one for mittens nor colorwork.

He sent me the pattern for his Latvian Winter mittens (it's a Place That Shall Not Be Named Link there), I gathered my yarns, and eagerly cast on.

And then I discovered I am the world's SLOWEST colorwork knitter.

Behold.

100_6606

It literally takes me nearly an hour to do three rounds.

Dave gave me the permission to blog about these at will. And aside from the fact that I am the world's slowest knitter, this is a great pattern and I love these mittens.

He's got the pattern up for sale on The Place That Shall Not Be Named. And I'll tell you right now, even though I haven't finished the first mitten the pattern is clearly written--even to a amateur-mitten-knitting-colorwork-newb like myself.

My only gripe with the mitten is a problem that was created by me, not the pattern.

Dave's original mitten was done in a worsted weight yarn making (obviously) a larger mitten for larger hands. In the pattern he recommends going down to a size 2 needle and a yarn like Dale of Norway's Baby Ull to fit smaller hands.

Like a doofus I though "Oh well Baby Ull--that's fingering weight--some sock yarn I have on hand should work just as well!"

Yeah, not so much. I'm a pretty tight knitter and these are turning out kind of small.

I might be able to get them on my girl-sized hands, but it's going to be a tight squeeze.

But all is not lost. My mom has tiny little hands and scrawny "Irish Washer Woman" wrists (as my Old Man so fondly calls them). I might send them off to her when I finish them.

Which might be in time for her birthday.

In July.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Looking good though! I hear you on the tight knitting. I knit tight to begin with and only constrict more with color work. They are lovely.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Those are so pretty! Just take your time, you'll get there!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! OH! OH! OOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!! I LOVE those mittens!!! And some times we go to a glacier in July...birthday present is perfect!

I am proud that you can read the instructions on a knitting pattern and are able to understand!!! I'll stick to sewing and quilting, much easier!!

Love, Mom

9:02 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Well then I'm even more pathetic because I want some black and white Norwegian colorwork in my life and I am too lazy to even start. Colorwork does not 'flow' as you well know. (Unless you're one of those super-dexterous mutant knitters who can combi-knit and get great tension with one color in each hand.)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Yeah, but Mom lives in Alaska, and even if her birthday is in July, she'll need them by September...

They're pretty! I'm doing some colorwork mittens too! Great minds knit alike!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

They look nice. I have weird hands - sturdy wrists, but small hands.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Those are really pretty... but I've determined I'm slow at colorwork and don't enjoy it :-( Maybe I'll get my mom to knit them for me? ;-)

12:47 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Perfect mittens for December. I like them a lot :0)

1:46 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

those are really cute mittens!

i used to be really slow at colorwork but one day it just clicked in my brain and the lovefest has continued since.

are you holding a strand in each hand? b/c i think it goes a lot faster that way.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Theyare pretty ashell. And if you get them done for july, wel, then the next winter will be a warm hand winter. no prob!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Those will be pretty mittens!

4:23 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Don't forget the power of blocking. They'll need a good blocking to even out the stranded work. I'd slip them over a sock blocker. Should work. And you might gain a little bit of room!

5:21 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

They look great so far! Great job!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Those are really pretty!

8:27 PM  
Blogger janna said...

They're very pretty! And, y'know, you HAVE been a little bit busy since Thanksgiving...

8:46 PM  
Anonymous knitting-cat said...

The mittens are just gorgeous. Might temp me to try some colorwork!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Ohh..I likey, well not the white background for me, but go you! Hehe..it would take me about a year I bet!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

My mother has those tiny little hands too. Those look great, maybe I'll finish my socks around the same time ;-)

3:13 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Nice work!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home