Friday, January 16, 2009

Last Day

Today is Dr. Mad Scientist's last day working as a postdoctoral fellow at the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine.

MSSM

He's been there nearly two years and worked for two labs.

Luckily, he's getting out on a high note. Apparently the other three post-docs that were in his lab all left under "interesting" circumstances. I'll leave it at that.

And now he's off to venture into two new frontiers.

Well kind of.

The first frontier is being a full time college student. But that's not 100% new. He's been doing since he was 18 years old, minus the last two years at Mt. Sinai.

But now he's going to school to be a teacher which is a whole different type of learning from the black-and-white science training he's done for all of his his undergrad and graduate work.

As an ex-liberal arts major, I find it kind of amusing watching him adapt to the assignments he's given in these classes.

The second frontier is being a Stay At Home Daddy until at least September.

Again, this isn't a totally new thing--he obviously helped see Chunky grow up to be who he is today. But he was also very busy with grad school and some other nefarious things involving his old pal Buddy Weiser, so a lot of the Chunkification fell on me.

His class schedule this semester is such that he has classes three days during the work week (and once on Saturdays) starting at 5:30 p.m.

I spoke to my HR lady at work and asked if it would be possible for me to work 8:30 to 4:30 three days a week so I could be home by 5:00 so he can go to class. I added it that this schedule would only be until the middle of May (when the semster ends)--Big Boss is kind of a late-bloomer, he likes to really get rolling with work at about 3:00 p.m. every day--to make it a bit more palatable to them. HR lady told me it wouldn't be a problem. Have I mentioned I love my job?

We really really lucked out with this whole thing.

First that he will be able to stay at home with Moochie for five months, and then watch both boys over the summer and still go to school.

That saves us a buttload of money. We figured even if he was still working full time and we had to put Moochie in full time daycare--half of his monthly takehome pay would go straight into daycare. That's about $1200-$1300/month.

Crazy I know. But consider I was paying $800 a month to have Chunky in full time daycare not so long ago--and he's pretty independent. He can feed himself and wipe his own butt--two things that will save you money when you're looking at daycare. $1200/$1300 a month doesn't seem so far fetched when you put it in comparison.

Second, we're very lucky that he stumbled into the scholarship program he did that will pay his tuition and fees in exchange for teaching in Newark for three years. If not for that program, there's no way he'd be able to go to school full time in order to start student teaching (and pulling a paycheck again!) in January 2010.

Third, the start of the semester overlaps my maternity leave just right. Dr. Mad Scientist will have four weeks to get into his new schedule while I'm still at home. He won't be thrown head first into Stay At Home Daddyhood all by himself. Not that he couldn't do it, but he's got some meetings and school orientations that are happening before 5:30 p.m. that he'd have to miss if I was working and not home to stay with the Mooch.

Although today ends an era--I mean he trained sooo long to be a researcher--I think it's the start of an even better one!

Labels: , ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

And herein your posting lies the very reason I snicker every time a student complains to me about having to take "art history", "british lit", "intro to bio"..."because I want to be a journalist, engineer, park ranger...... and these don't matter". I always tell them "you have no idea how your life is going to turn out, and having a bit of other knowledge, and skills, never hurts!" Of course, a well rounded population doesn't hurt either. Bravo to Dr. MS.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I'm glad things are working out in your favor! Good luck to you both!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Libi said...

Bezzie, it seems to me that you always seem to take the lemons dealt to you and make lemon meringue pie. What's up with that? Can I grow up to be you?

8:52 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Good luck to Dr. MS & you on his new venture. Hey, when he becomes a teacher, are you changing his name? Dr. Teacher? Professor? :)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

It's a very exciting time for you all! Good luck to Dr/Future Professor Mad Scientist and all of you at RM!

My dad is a professor (still teaches one class a semester at age 75) and LOVES his career and always has. My "little" brother has gone back to school this semester for his Masters and my mom retired from teaching at college with her Masters as well.

I really should go back and finish college ;)

9:32 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

and his work schedule when he's a teacher will match your kids' schedule when they're in school! no summer day care!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck DR MS!!! You remind me of Bezzie's Grandfather, he was a science teacher, and even though he had problems he was never afraid to bite the bullet and make changes. Love, Mom

10:10 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

A change in career can be brutal, ask me how I know...but definitely worth it when you find your niche.

Who knew the lit nerd would end up in accounting? :) Not me.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Good luck to Dr. MS - sounds like it's not the end, it's a new beginning, with many pluses.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Good for him, and I am glad it works out for the kids as well. No daycares! I am not a fan of them.

11:08 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Good luck to all of you! It really does sound like everything is working right, at least to get Dr. MS started in his new career.

It's up to -3 here - it got down to -25 last night; the high today is supposed to be 5 (not minus!) I checked your hometown -- it's 50 there! What's up with that??? Global warming I guess....

11:30 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Here's to good things ahead for you!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Woo hoo!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Good luck! Lucky Husband had to do the Mr. Mom thing while unemployed last month on "economic downtime" and that was interesting to say the least. He felt like a caged animal which got huge giggles from me. Now he knows what us moms put up with.

1:47 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I have to agree....a start to something really good!! Things really are looking up!

And catching up on the past couple post, Moochie is soooooooo cute!! I just wanna eat him!!!!

5:20 PM  
OpenID MarieGrace said...

Good luck to both of you... you soooo deserve to have things work out and to have the pieces all fall into place. I think the pair of you should be the new poster children for "How a Marriage REALLY Works".

Woman.. you are a saint.

Kiss the boys! (All of 'em)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

So often, it seems as if you're fighting an uphill battle to balance all of life's demands. Just this once, everything seems to be falling into place for you. I am so glad. My husband is a teacher and it is wonderful when you have a family. Congratulations all the way around!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Waaah! My first post didn't show up! I'll try it again...

I always knew things were more expensive in the Northeast than here in the Midwest, but I didn't realize how much until I read the $1,200+ dollars for a daycare for a baby. Here in Cleveland, full-time daycare for a baby at a good center runs about $800 a month. $1,200 a month would pay for full-time summer camp for both of my kids!

I'm glad things are working out well for you! It sounds like Dr. M.S.'s going back to school is going to work out great for you guys. That's wonderful that he was able to get into that teaching program. My old boss (pre-BOE) wanted to go back to school to be a teacher, but she wouldn't be able to afford to quit her job to do the student teaching.

I think teaching is definitely a family-friendly profession, especially for someone with school-aged kids. I don't believe the whole "teachers are underpaid" thing, either. This nonprofit organization here in Ohio set up an Internet database where the public can search for teacher salaries in Ohio by school, district, or individual teacher's name, so I looked up a couple of teachers I know.

The one lady is a 5th grade teacher, and makes $57,000 a year. The other is an
8th grade gifted teacher, and makes almost $90,000 a year (!). OK - both women have master's, and the first one's been teaching for about 9 years, and the other about 20, but even so, when you look at how low salaries for college-educated people are across the board here in the Cleveland area, plus the all the paid time off teachers get, the fantastic pensions, and the nearly free medical insurance, I think they're doing pretty darn good.

Shoot, maybe I went into the wrong profession!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

So what kind of projects does Dr. Mad Scientist have to do? That are so strange to him? Inquiring minds want to know....Especially as I did a hard science degree too, so am curious...

5:58 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

There are days when I dream of leaving post-doc-dom and going back for a B.Ed. so I'll be looking forward to hearing more about this adventure. Yay for stay-at-home-daddies!!! Good luck!!!!!!!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Yeah! Now, you guys can be happy and live like real grownups. But you don't have to if you don't wanna! ; )

7:20 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh Mt. Sinai! I work with them nearly everyday. Good luck to the Mad Scientist errr Dr. Mad Teacher now? :) Teaching seems like a hugely rewarding job.

It sounds like the timing of everything is perfect! Meant to be!

Oh and you mentioned recycling t-shirts. I saw this nifty rug made with t-shirts. http://hodgepodgefarm.blogspot.com/2009/01/rug-bee.html

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Audrey S. said...

My cousin's DH turned his back on his master's in urban planning and was a househusband for a few years (she's a high=powered lawyer, and it was perfect for the both of them). He had a brain aneurysm and some emergency, scary surgery, a few complications...and four years later, went back and got his PhD in math and his MA in education. Now he is teaching math part-time in an innercity school (he's African-American) and is happy as a clam...he loves it! It's been five years now that he's been teaching and he is now assistant dean of students as well. and he did this when he was maybe 45 years old or so?

Great timing for you all. How great for both kids to have dad more involved!

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the shirt idea! I might have to try my hand at making a bag or 2 with some of the old shirts I have.

Good Luck to Dr. MS. I'm sure he will enjoy being "Mr. Mom". Your Uncle Joe did that when Sean was little before he went back to school to become Mr. Goodwrench.

Love, Aunt Susan

7:02 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Old doors close, new ones open. Life is all falling into place for the Bezzies - Hurrah!

:0)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

In spite of the tight finances coming up, the way things are working out for y'all is SO cool!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I am loving your posts about your new adventure. Things are falling into to place and to a well deserved blogger I might add!

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home