Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Of Eagles and Garter Stitch Hats

Everytime I take Chunky to the library he skips right past the fiction books and heads straight to the non-fiction section.

We've read books on everything from spiders and scorpions, to the state of Michigan, to pirates and castles.

Last library trip, he picked a book about eagles. Partly to educate me apparently about eagles because when we were waiting in the car for Dr. Mad Scientist to arrive at the train station we saw a large bird soaring overhead. He said it was an eagle. I differed and said it was probably a hawk.

Anyway, after reading the book he became quite the eagle expert mother smugger.

Not to be outdone by a seven year old (aren't I just the most mature parent?) I had to drag out my photo album and show him my pictures of when I attended the 1996 Alaska Bald Eagle Festival.

We're talking stands of trees with hundreds of eagles!

I remember walking under the trees hoping that one would poop on me. How damn American would that be? The great bird of our country defecating on me! Oh the patriotism wells up in me even as I recall trying to see if it could happen.

Anyway, flipping through that photo album I found a picture of a knit relic.

100_6708

That would be me circa late 1996 modeling what I believe was just a square garter stitch knit swatch seamed on one end and gathered at the top. Oof.

And yes, my hair was that long. There was a traumatic haircutting experience eight years earlier--so what ou see there is eight years of uncut other than trimming split ends hair.

Both the hair and my knitting have come a long way!

Ok, maybe not so much the hair...

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Chunky has the right idea with those books - I rarely read fiction, either. Well, not exactly - I read a lot of fiction with the kids. My daughter and I reading this "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series now - they're too funny!

My hair was about as long as that for years, until I got a lot cut off after I had my daughter. It's pretty long again now. I don't think I look good with short hair - maybe if my hair was straighter.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

sometimes I think Chunky and Meaty were separated at birth. he has the same obsession with non-fiction books. We've read every train, car and boat book our library stocks. We've moved on to dinosaurs and insects. Oh to be the mom of a boy.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

you haven't changed a bit!!

8:39 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

pj's with feet, right?

8:54 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Just adorable!
He's a non-fiction kid. Stories and fiction can educate also, but I understand the desire to know how things and nature work.
When my niece was a toddler, a very bright toddler, we were doing art and her brother painted a T-rex. We started talking about how scary dinos were and I said offhand that dinos and people never lived together at the same time on Earth and we didn't need to worry about them. My niece then corrected me, dinos and people most certainly did live together! We argued the point so she went and got her proof. She handed me the VHS copy of Jurassic Park and said, "SEE Aunt Mag! Dinosaurs and people do live together!" Such are the dangers of fiction! Those kids did not yet understand the difference. LOL!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Chunky is a chip off the Grandma block!!! I rarely read fiction. Right now I am reading a book titled "Harry and Ike". It is very interesting and brings out things that I never knew about the two.

Is that the hat you knitted for your father? Pig shirt, Pig quilt are you into pigs?

Love, Mom

9:42 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

The knitting urge goes way back I see. I had the long hair too for a while. Now, I have neither the time nor the inclination to take care of all that hair. My husband would love it but he's not the one who has to live with it.

10:25 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Good for Chunky! One smart cookie! Or would that be a Bezookie?

OMG! Lookit that mane! How on earth did you manage with all that hair?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

Eagle is one of my totems, which convinced me that this house was meant to be ours. You see, people up here name their houses (weird, but that's what they do), and there's a sign nailed to the house next to the front door with the name of our house: "Eagle's Nest". I also bought my Harley from a dealership of the same name.

What can I say? I'm one of the stranger ones, but you knew that already. ;)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I'd be doing my best to NOT be pooped on!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Smart kiddo you got there. I have to pull teeth to get mine to read, which drives me nuts b/c I love to read.

Dayum, your hair was SO long. Your knitting swarch looks like my current knitting, haha!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Even then you made up your own patterns. Clever girl.

6:34 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

No pictures of Chunky nor eagles? At least we saw the old-school knitting and pig shirt.

-T.

7:30 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:47 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I've only seen eagles a few times in the wild (well as wild as suburban Washington and cruise ship Alaska can be!) but they are magnificent! Not as magnificent as that hair tho!

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that Chunky likes to read. Sean is reading more for pleasure now that he is older, Sam is too busy socializing to read, and Erin is just starting to like to read for pleasure. I have always like to read, fiction or non-fiction-depends on my mood when I go to the library.

I have heard that here in the QCA, we have one of the largest nesting area in the winter for bald eagles. We see them freguently along the river. They are awesome.

Like the hair... Love, Aunt Susan

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Hey, Bezzie. Just wanted to let you know that I caught up on your blog and you made me laugh and smile on a gray day. My four year old insists on checking out an armload of whale books every time we go to the library. Personally, I'm sick of 'em. :P

BTW, I had hair-to-my-butt in high school, too! Then I went and dyed it black and the next summer I chopped it off to my chin. 22.5" to Locks of Love! Fortunately they accept hair tainted with faded black dye. Ew.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home