Monday, February 16, 2009

Uhg.

I remember Sundays as a kid.

The Old Man would watch 60 Minutes and you knew that after that tick-tick-ticking ended--it was bedtime, and then when you woke up, it was Monday and school.

Ugh.

I hate Andy Rooney to this day because of this association.

Even though today isn't Sunday, it's one of those days.

It's the last day of my maternity leave.

I didn't think it would be that bad leaving my Moochie because I'm leaving him with Dr. Mad Scientist and all to watch during the day, but I'm really going to miss that little potatohead! (Moochie, not Dr. Mad Scientist--although I will miss seeing him so much. I think this is the most we've ever hung out as a couple since we got together!)

100_6781

He's getting to some of the best parts of babyhood--he'll "talk" back to you now, he smiles when you do silly things (he's this close to laughing!), and he'll even stick his tongue out at you when you stick yours out at him first.

Sigh. It went by so quick.

But I spent my last day making the week's lunch cookies.

100_6795

Chocolate peanut butter chip cookies. No real recipe. Just take your favorite peanut butter cookie recipe, add two or three tablespoons of cocoa powder and also add peanut butter and chocolate chips. In my case, Acme was having a killer sale on Nestle baking morsels and I used the "swirled" chocolate and peanut butter chips.

I also tended to the new plants I bought at the New Jersey Flower and Garden Show that Youngest Younger Sister and I went to on Thursday.

100_6796

I caved and bought these beautiful primroses. They need a sunny cold window--just what I have! When it warms up I'll transplant them into a bigger pot and bring them outside.

I also ripped off a thing my Oldest Younger Sister, T. does. She takes succulent plants and puts them in teacups she finds at thrift stores.

Since we don't have thrift stores in northern New Jersey, I used a mug that T. gave me and planted a Kalanchoe succulent in it.

100_6800

The mug features Rasputin her rat. She takes him on her cross-country adventures everytime she moves posing him at major landmarks/points of interest. You can see the St. Louis Arch in the background. He's like the Travelling Gnome, if he had bubonic plague.

I think I'll name the plant (because Youngest Younger Sister asked me what I was going to name it) Colin.

Finally, I caught up on some blogsurfing and discovered Miss T (not to be confused with my sister T.) nominated me for the Kreativ Blogger Award.

ktive

Flattering as it is, they normally die with me--I break the chain. But I've been meaning to highlight some of the nifty blogs I've been into reading lately, so what the hell. I'll do it this once.

But before I do--go check out Miss T's latest post where she interviews the author of a knitting comicbook--how wonderfully geeky!

So here's who I nominate for the Kreativ (spelling of the word Creative) Blogger Award:

1. Alisha's Photo A Day 2009
I follow her knitblog, but also enjoy this commitment she's taken on for 2009. I love how some of the most mundane photos are simply the best ones.

2. what you think on grows
Donna Lee's another knit-blogger and I love the calm serenity she exudes on her posts--even if she's wrist-deep in dental issues, she's always got a great outlook.

3. Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy
When I grow up, I wanna be just like Elizabeth. I love her designs (even if I can't knit colorwork to save my life). And creepily enough I realize I have a lot in common with her--scientist PhD husband, two boys with a decent gap between them...

4. Mom's knitting...again
I love Sarah's blog because she's not just a knitter--she's a real artist that has all ten of her toes in various artistic mediums.

5. Home is...
Wendy's not a knitter, but she's a homesteading thinker. When the apocalypse comes, I want to live next door to her! Plus she inspired me a couple years ago to plant my container potato.

6. Hey It's Free!
Ok, not a crafty or knit blog, but a great resource for free stuff. I've scored about five bags of free catfood just be keeping an eye on this site.

7. Knit Me a River
I simply love Sgeddes's handspun yarn. She's an inspiration for newbie spinners (although I don't think she qualifies as a newbie anymore). She's also got a pair of the most adorable pups with the best names! (I'm a sucker for themes!)

So there you go. Technically I'm supposed to go tell these people I've highlighted them, but I'm lazy. The fact I've done this much is amazing.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Poops said...

Good luck tomorrow!

Dad and Moochie are going to do just great. It'll give them some excellent bonding time, you know--man to man.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Good luck tomorrow.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Awww, I know it's going to be hard leaving the baby. My sister-in-law was planning on going back to work in December (my niece turned 1 in January), but she couldn't bring herself to leave the baby, especially since she was a stay at home mom with her two older kids from her first marriage, when they were babies. Of course, the cost of daycare for my niece was a factor too. Good luck tomorrow!

And that flower is so pretty! I have zero luck with plants. I usually end up forgetting to water them, or I let the kids water them, and they overdo it, and drown them. It must be my old age - a couple of times I've let my cat outside lately, and forgotten she was out there. Good thing she yowls when she's hungry, so I won't forget to feed her too, LOL!

10:12 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Good luck tomorrow! Make sure to pack yourself one of those cookies...they look delish!! As does moochie...I could gobble him up in kisses!! Too cute that one!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Aww, look at that cute baby!

Thanks for the award. (Do I give my acceptance speech now?)

11:43 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I am just very happy the Mr. Moochie will not be in a daycare! It is so much better when parents care for their kids! IMO, of course.

:)

4:30 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Hope your first day back is going well! You need a web cam so you can see moochie while at work.

My mom has always kept little succulents on the windowsill in the kitchen. I ought to try that. She has the cutest little pots, but I love the teacup/mug idea.

Thank you for the award. I blush 'cause you said so many nice things.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I hear ya about the award. I got it from a blogging friend, but didn't do anything about it but thank her...alas.

I think I read that kalanchoe is poisonous to cats. Where do you keep your plants? Do you think the cat would bother them? Just a thought...

6:48 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I hope your first day back is a good one. Make Dr. Mad Scientist snap pics and e-mail them to you. :) Good luck!!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Thanks. And good luck on Tuesday. It's hard to go back to work after a long weekend let alone a maternity leave.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck. You're lucky that Dr.MS can be home with Moochie. Your Uncle Joe did that for awhile when Sean was a baby. You do what you have to do.

You are just like your Grandma with the plants and flowers. Love your ideas (love the mug with the Rat!).

Love, Aunt Susan

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got a mug!? T didn't give me a mug. Maybe she is saving it for when I come and visit.
Moochie and DrMS will be fine. They have some great times and you know whose name he will say first....Mama!
Good Luck today!
Love, Mom

8:57 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

good luck returning to work!

i also hate andy rooney. i don't understand why they let him rant on tv. i guess he's to attract the bitter old coot portion of the audience.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

WHAT?! back to work already???

no way! time flew.

bebe so kyute.

flower pretty.

YYS looks alot like you. don't care that you said not to say that. LOL

9:15 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Is your sister peeking in my windows? Because I've had my cacti and succulents planted in tea cups for years!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hope your day is going well! It's hard to leave the little ones behind when they're finally becoming little people, isn't it?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Wow, that leave went FAST! Hope you had a good day back at work. Leaving the kiddos really sucks especially when they are bambinos.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wowie! Thanks! All ten toes are dirty with crafts right now. All I need to do is finish something...

Moochie will be in good hands- how lucky is Dr MS to be able to do this for now! Makes me tear up for you though... he's so darn cute

4:49 PM  
Blogger SHELLY said...

Two things:
1. No thrift stores in NJ? How do you live!?!?!
B. I love Rasputin. I read T.'s last cross-country adventure last year and it was hilarious to see all the places she posed him.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Bezzie, thank you how sweet. I am glad your enjoying my photos.

I adore you and your blog and those cute little boys. Imo you are queen of creativity. You inspire me!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home