Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Click

It's spring. There's a hint of budding on the trees if you squint really hard to look.

One could theoretically go coat less in the afternoon.

It reminds me of the time of year as a kid you would dig out your bike from a snowdrift where it was chained to the back porch and go riding in the mud on the street.

But I have a confession: I was a slow-to-learn bike rider. I must have been 8 or 9 before I learned how to ride without training wheels.

I remember watching a kid in my grade bike home from school one spring and suddenly it just clicked. I knew I'd be able to ride my bike. And ta-da, I did. Granted I had about 2 or 3 years of practice leading up to that point, but it really was just that something finally "clicked."

During my blog hiatus, although I wasn't knitting (I'm knitting Kate's Cardigan from the latest issue of Knitcircus...and I'm not at a point where I can knit it in short time bursts) I got it in my head that I could finally figure out how to spin on my spindle.

100_6881

I don't know what it was. It finally just clicked! It was probably the nearly a year of spinning on my wheel to get the drafting down right, but spindle spinning is more about coordination and keeping the drafting going, the spindle spinning and the excess roving from getting in the way all at the same time.

I actually enjoy it!! I used to HATE attempting to spindle spin.

I also like the fact I'm able to pick it up and spin a few yards between changing a diaper, making Chunky a lunch or making dinner.

I'll leave you with the latest in Mt. Redoubt news. I'm taking it upon myself to keep my Lower 48 brethren in the know about this volcano after Big Boss* said today he hadn't heard of the volcano action in Alaska.

She blew again this weekend and hit Anchorage and the Matanuska Valley (where I'm from) with a nice coat of ash.

For a spectacular picture of the volcano erupting at night with lots of apocalyptic looking lightning click here.

Amazing!!!!

*Big Boss was in a deposition on Friday when I emailed him my progress on the Data Input Project from Hell. He emailed me back not to fret but to continue on the pace I've been keeping. Sigh. So hooray for not being in deep kimchi for not having it all done, but boo to having to keep doing this crap at night!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's starting to look a little like Spring here in the QCA. Never mind that we had snow over the weekend. I've been keeping up with the volcano news & hoping your Mom gets to leave when she is supposed to. I'm surprised that you aren't cross-eyed from your project. Hang in there. Love, Aunt Susan

6:35 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm getting ready to get my bike out of the garage and start short rides to get some stamina back. It's depressing how fast it goes when you stop riding.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well according to the morning paper it looks like that volcano is calming down. I should be able to get out! This thing didn't stop me from packing!! I have just about everthing ready to go!

As for the ash in the Mat-Su Valley....Where we are we did not get any. Unless it came down with the 2 inches of snow. Now Anchorage got some and your youngset brother was able to scoop some up off his car for his girlfriend's uncle, who is a science teacher in MI.

Love, Mom

8:52 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Kimchi shout out, props to my peeps, cool!

I need a "click" moment with my sewing machine because right now, I suck. Royally.

P.S. My verification word is "mulan" - it's like Asian word day today! ;)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I was hoping to pull out my bike for a short ride on Saturday...some weatherman said it was supposed to be in the 60's and sunny. I'm going to write him hate mail if that's not true.

So, if you learned at 8 or 9, then all is not lost for Danny....he still can't do it without training wheels. Sigh.

And thanks for the updates on the volcano action...I didn't know about it either til you blogged about it.

11:57 AM  
Blogger janna said...

My niece didn't take her training wheels off until she was 10! That struck me as very weird, because I'm the least athletic person I know, and I think mine came off when I was 6, maybe 6 months after I started riding it.

Does Big Boss know you're doing all this on your own time? Even if you don't expect to get paid, he should know.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Funny, since I bought my wheel, I seem to have become supremely incompetent at my spindle. Go figure.

BTW, make sure you download the errata for Kate.
Errata Link

1:08 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

The volcano pic in your link is erie scary---the clouds up above look like a menacing face to me...but then again I am home sick with a massive ear/head-ache so it could just be my inner ear trying to make sense of the world.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Yay on liking the spinning! Though, I don't know the difference between the wheel and the one you're talking about.

I love emailing attorneys when they're at deps. Its the one time they can't run at the mouth! LOL

5:44 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I had to laugh at this: "dig out your bike from a snowdrift where it was chained to the back porch and go riding in the mud on the street", because that's exactly what my girls did a couple of weeks ago. Except they usually wait until the snow is melted enough to get to the bikes. It's then, that we really know it's spring ;).

Lovely spinning. It still hasn't clicked for me. I was a slow bike learner, too, but part of that was because just about when I thought I had it, I was hit by a motorcycle while trying to ride my bike, and that experience kind of dampened my enthusiasm for continuing to try to learn to ride ;). I finally got it, though, and I guess I should just perservere, eh?

6:58 PM  
Blogger MiniGene said...

Dude! That time lapse of the volcano was wicked! I remember getting out of school early for that mountain back in 4th grade!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You don't even want to know how old I was when I learned how to ride a bike - it's embarrassing! I haven't owned a bike in years. One day I'd like to buy one again, although it's been so long, I'm afraid I might hurt myself trying to ride one, ha, ha!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Yikes to your project - again, I hope you're being paid well. Congratulations on the spindle mastery!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

yay for spindles. While you were 'away' I learned how to do it - and love it.

:0)

7:19 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I went to get a spindle the other day and realized I had loaned mine to my mother...

It's a good feeling when something clicks like that!

Thanks for sharing the volcano photo.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I've got a friend living in Anchorage who was telling me about the ash coating- niiiice.
Cool aobut the spindling! And you really work for a great company.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home