Saturday, April 18, 2009

4/20 is Coming Up!

Tax day on the 15th is usually the day I use as a rule of thumb to start my seedlings. Although 4/20 seems like a better date to start a pot garden.

100_6944

Seeds started!

My basil (on the left) and my catnip (on the right) are also up there. They made it through the winter on the windowsill just great.

I also started my cold weather plants outside.

100_6945

From left to right: Lettuce/spinach mix; primrose; my purple Mom Mums (yellow didn't survive the winter); and some peas.

Finally, I've been watering my oregano.

100_6946

I finally figured out that oregano is a perinial and doesn't need to be planted every year (duh!). You can't tell from the picture here, but there are some teeney weenie little oregano sprouts happening in the pot.

Before I leave you to enjoy this beautiful day--I'll end with a picture of a lady cardinal I snapped when I was outside taking pictures of my soon-to-be pot garden.

100_6947

She's barely visible in the middle of the picture in the tree there.

Happy Spring!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Looks like a good start! I may have started a bit too early this year. Here's hoping something grows.

Awesome cardinal! I've never seen one in person.

12:10 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Now, I don't claim to be an avid birder, but that looks like a Man-Cardinal. (Maybe it's not a good picture.) Male cardinals are red. The ladies are buff with a bit of red in their wings.

Just today I saw two male cardinals fighting over a lady! I didn't see who won, though.

-T.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

my mom had her oregano growing on her windowsill all winter. as kids we used to take turns daring each other to stick our noses in it and sniff deeply.

1:54 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Happy Spring!! Bring on the pot garden!!

2:03 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I want to grow basil, but I don't have a good window.

And I agree with T - that cardinal looks kind of red to be a female. On the other hand, it's not nearly as red as some males....

5:13 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Finally, it is pot garden time again! I love seeing what you get every year.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

yay! Gardening time! And uh I have no clue about that bird. LOL

6:28 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Great job! I have convinced hubby we should do tomatoes on our balconette this year. I can't wait to live somewhere with an actually porch/patio. whew. tomato and bell pepper and then some flowers. yay!

Watch my blog - just got 90% total savings on $170 worth of groceries LOL

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Male cardinals are bright red & the female are a duller red. We get a few in our bird feeder & Mr. Outdoorsman (your Uncle Joe) knows his birds.

I started some morning glories which I want to try and get them to vine up a decorative windmill we have in the backyard. I'm going to try my hand at herbs this year. I have small pots that after today won't be in use (I'm using them for table decorations for Uncle Joe's surprise 50th b-day party today).

Love, Aunt Susan

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I can see ALL the leaves now! And I come back to dirty snow in the plowed piles:( Hopefully I will be walking to work! And on the bird I tried to get a pic of one at your sister's but every time I would get my camera the dang thing would fly away! Love, Mom

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home