Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bring in Da Jive!

Today after having a satisfying session with my boyfriend Bailey N. Uture, III in the server room at work (don't click that link if you're at all a prude or bodily functions make you squeamish), I hoofed it over to the Newark Public Library.

It was their 18th Annual Book sale.

100_6963

I walked away with these:

100_6962

Knitting for Children by Louise Daniels
Good Housekeeping New Complete Book of Needlecraft and
Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros

I got home and realized I already own Caramelo in paperback! Oops! What can I say, it's a good book!

The Good Housekeeping one I've seen before in liberries and at used book stores/thrift stores. I figured what the hell. For $2 the price was right. I'm getting to a point in my life where I'm branching out in my craftiness, it's nice to have a little guidebook despite it's funkadelic era stylings.

The gem though is Knitting for Children.

It's got some crazy patterns for sure. Like the Baby Klan Hood.

100_6964

And for some reason, the author felt the need to make matching knit pants for many of the sweaters.

100_6966
100_6968
100_6967

My personal rule of thumb with knit pants: If you can walk you shouldn't be wearing them.

There were some pretty horrendous patterns as well.

100_6969
100_6970

Thank god we as a nation have stopped murdering innocent poodles for children's wear. I do like that little girl's shoes though. I remember I had a pair like that when I was about that age.

Snarkiness aside, I do like this book. It has patterns for babies all the way to teenagers. You don't see that kind of breadth these days in kids' pattern books these days. And honestly if you took out the pants in all of those pictures above--those sweaters alone are pretty timeless.

What really makes my book unique though is the mis-print.

100_6965

Pages 95-116 are missing and in their place are pages 59-74--which show up a second time. Kinda weird and I'm a little bummed wondering what might be on pages 95-116? Ah well.

Overall--great booksale by the Newark Public Library. I might go back again on Thursday and I'm also thinking I'll get a library card there. Apparently they're free for residents and schlubs who work in Newark.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Nice finds. I have to agree with the knit pants. Just don't do it! The misprint does suck. You should write to Good Housekeeping and rell them about it. You never know.

Aren't all library cards free? They are here in Brooklyn, so I just assumed they were free everywhere.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I had an aunt that did actually make a pair of knit pants The book of needle craft looks interesting.

I've never heard of having to pay for a library card. Hope you find some more treasures if you go back on Thursday.

Love, Aunt Susan

7:39 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I love those old craft books. for one - the techniques are still good, and some of the patterns are nice, but two I love love love seeing all the trendy interpretations. It's kind of like a cautionary tale you know. If the pattern looked good in 1970 and still looks good... make it (like that baby blanket) if they thought it was cool then, but it looks retarded now... stay far away (knit pants).

7:51 PM  
Blogger Woollycraft Workshops said...

Classic, that looked like most of our wardrobe from mine and my siblings childhood!!!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I think I had that poodle outfit as a child! I am serious!

5:57 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I don't know what's worse, that poor kid in the middle picture with the matching sweater/pants, or the kid in the cowboy getup. Shudder.

Do library cards cost $$ near your home? In Monmouth county it's a weird thing. Our closest library would cost us about $100/year (maybe 2), even though we are Monmouth county residents. So we go to the main library branch, which is a 15 minute drive, for our free cards. :)

7:19 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Knit pants are sooo flattering. On infants. I especially like the pair with the cables down the sides, sure to flatter most figures.

My 25 Favorite socks book by IK has a misprint like that but all the pages were there, just not in order.

8:17 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Libraries are the best. And you're absolutely right, those sweaters are still great if you can overlook the mildly creepy knitted pants! :-)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The pants rule is excellent. I feel that way about a lot of styles that are cute on toddlers, but never on grown women.

Looking at the loopy poodle-skin thing, I guess that's what people had to do to look ridiculous before fun fur was invented!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Meg Weaver said...

I've always thought that what you describe as a poodle looked to me like those rugs that people put on the top of their toilet seat...

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

I don't even know WHERE to begin except to say that I hope you don't EVER knit any of those pants for the kids, or the poodle, or cowboy, cuz you'll scar them for life. LOL

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! We have a book sale coming up! What you have there is rare find, might be worth something. They probably printed some like that and thought that thye got them all off the market. I have a "Quilt in a day" book that some of the pages are upside down.
Yeah...knit pants are not for anyone who can walk!!
Your purchase is a good thing it will bring newer knit books into the library. As for paying for a library card we only charge if you don't live in the borough, Anchorage does the same. We do charge if you have lost your card and cannot find it. Love, Mom

9:06 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I was gonna say, thank the yarn gods they came up with fun fur, cuz that's an awful lot of trouble to go through to create a fad.

9:07 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i really like the rug on the cover of the good housekeeping book.

my take on what the kids were thinking on the children's book:

kid on right: OMG what are you wearing? you look like a total toolbag!

kid on left: what are you laughing at? we're wearing matching outfits, dumbass!

kid on right: oh sh!^.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Those pants are pretty awful. I made PeeWee a pair of knit pants and they were pretty amazing- hot as heck but she LOVED them.
Misprints... at least you didn't pay much for that! I love the vintage knit books- they have a lot more really solid I would knit them all patterns. I have two lace ones that are stunning. Maybe one day I'll quit being afraid of lace...

12:44 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Great vintage knitting books! Although I'm glad poodle murder for the sake of fashion has been abolished.

3:26 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Misprints like that happened when the pages are gathered wrong -- basically, the wrong pages were plopped in. Depending on how the book is put together, there might be another set of wrong pages - I won't get all librarianish on you, but it's pretty likely....

4:59 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Too funny about those outfits! The knit pants crack me up!

I'm wondering about the same thing as Christina - I've never heard of a library charging for cards. Here in the Cleveland area were have the Cleveland Public Library system (Cleveland only), the Cuyahoga County system (a lot of the suburbs), and some suburbs, like mine, have their own independent library systems. Regardless of your library system, though, you get a card that can be used at any library in the county for free.

5:47 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAknitpantsHAHAHAHAHAHA! That second pic of the kid in knit pants nearly made me pee mine!

I loves me some library, join join!

1:33 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Thankfully knitting has come a long way over the years!

Neat finds either way.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Cool finds. I just love Caramelo.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home