Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sew Freakin' HOT!

It got hot today. As you can tell from the Cat-Thermometer.

100_6986

The hotter the temp, the more they stretch and lazier they get. If that's even possible for a cat.

We had another 6:30 a.m. Sunday wake up call from Mr. Mooch.

Sigh. If he wasn't so damn cute and I knew he'd eventually outgrow it--OK, no he won't outgrow it, but he'll be able to make his own breakfast eventually--I'd be cranky.

But before it got too hot, I capitalized on my early-Moochie-morning wake up and made Moochie a sun hat because unfortunately, his head isn't QUITE as big a Chunky's was at this age and Chunky's old sun hat didn't fit him.

100_6976

Not much to look at. But cute when you plop it on his head.

100_6972

I used this pattern minus all the bias tape and crap. I wasn't about to put that much work into a hat that he was going to wear for maybe a couple of months. I just needed something to keep the sun out of his eyes and off his face.

The pattern calls for elastic or cord. I didn't have either of those. I decided to make simple ties instead.

100_6981

He seems to like it.

We tested it out on a quick trip around the neighborhood this afternoon.

100_6982

No premature wrinkles or sunburns!

He definitely inherited my coloring though. Despite being dipped in the SPF 50 before going out, he got quite warm and pink (not sunburn) just like me and Chunky do when we get hot.

I'm actually considering purchasing an airconditioner for our dining room (the only room that will handle an A/C unit in our apartment) for this summer. As I type this the temperature is 91 degrees and Tuesday it's supposed to get even hotter.

It's not even MAY yet. Global warming not existing? My pink sweaty ass! Ha ha!

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! That is a cute hat on a CUTE boy! Hope that the summer is not like this for you all. Love, Mom

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second what your Mom said. Erin just informed me that it is 83 in the QCA(we don't have a Cat-Thermometer). I just checked the local radar and it looks like we have nasty weather moving in. Uncle Joe is out fishing so he better keep an eye to the sky. That global warming is for the birds(or cats). Love, Aunt Susan

5:54 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

He looks great in that hat and very pleased with it.

This hot weather is supposed to last until Tuesday night when it will rain. I'm not ready for this.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

The hat turned out so cute! Moochie looks pretty happy to be in it too.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It was nearly 90 here in Cleveland too, and nearly 80 today. But you know what, here in the Cleveland area at least, it's seems like we're increasingly moving towards 2, maybe 3 seasons, instead of 4. We seem to have less and less real fall and spring weather anymore. I thought maybe it was just me imagining things (aeeing as how I'm getting old, ha, ha!), but I've heard other people around here say the same thing.

The hat (and Moochie) is too cute! And my cat has been stretched out like for the past few days, too. Today I found her stretched out on the upstairs bathroom window sill, enjoying the sunshine and breeze from the open window.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

yup, 70s here in Chi-town. They don't turn the air on til June, and we don't pay so we take advantage of it ;) an AC might be good for Moochie, just to keep him comfy.

7:44 PM  
Blogger janna said...

In the first picture, he looks confused, but in the second one, I think he thinks he's going somewhere. And I guess he did get to go outside, so he was right to be all excited.

High 70s here, today, but the area had it's first tornado of the season...

8:02 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I love how he is all raring to go in the stroller picture.

It was 86'F when we drove home from the Y at 8pm tonight.

8:04 PM  
Blogger JRS said...

Adorable hat! My mom made me a similar one back in the early 70s. I still have it. I love that thing. I hope Moochie treasures his as well!

8:25 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Great hat! I still think that if you put today's exact day in July I would have been fine. But since it was 40 degrees on Thursday and then 80 degrees yesterday? Yeah. That's where I get stuck. Here's hoping for a moderate summer!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love the hat!

I hate the heat, too. I am convinced that cats can see in infrared. They can find the coolest spot when it's hot, and vice versa.

BTW, he will eventually outgrow the early wake-ups. I didn't think Owen ever would, but he has! He sleeps until past noon on weekends, unless we wake him.

10:57 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

OMG! How cute is he in his hat!! I think he likes it too!

90 degrees already!! YIKES! Yeah, AC sounds good!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

What a doll face. I love the hat. It is adorable. I understand what you say about your skin. I am the same way. I have always longed to have dark skin.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

That picture of Moochie grinning at the camera is great. And I don't say that much about baby pics. As for the air conditioner, if you can find a deal on one, do it. You don't have to run it all the time. You could hang curtains to block off the living room or something and just do one room. Tha's what I do. Just the bedroom gets done. We hang up a curtain so the colder air stay s inside the bedroom but the kitties can come and go.

11:39 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Great hat! Very depleting=ozone worthy! ;)

11:55 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Sew Freakin' cute!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

hehe...cute hat!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Necia said...

Bez, how old is this Moochie guy? Didn't you have him just a mere 4 almost 5 months ago? I can't believe he's grown so much. He is so incredibly cute though. Cute hat too. If you make me a hat, I'll make u a quilt block. Bwah...........

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

ok seriously. you white white folks, like my gluc. you can SCARE THE CRAP outta us darker skinned folks. when gian was 3 weeks, we were at a friend's house. it was mid-August. like 1000 degrees or so. that kid was born sooooo white and that day he was strawberry pink altho he was in a room with A/C. i was getting ready to go to the ER. srsly. my friends had to give ME a cold drink to calm me down cuz i was so scared something was wrong w/him. turns out, boy was just hot. LOL

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

OH and that hat is TOO cute on that gorgeous model!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Great hat, great model! Hm, I could use a sunhat.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home