Monday, April 20, 2009

They Tried To Make Me Do A Refab

And I probably should have said no, no, no.

One of my bosses for Christmas likes to give me gift certificates to Macy's.

Now if you've ever been to Macy's and you've seen how I dress, well, you'll know that Macy's and I are kind of like oil and water. Or maybe peanutbutter and cheez whiz.

December of 2007 I found myself in Macy's with Chunky in tow trying to figure out how to spend this gift card to the maximum. In my cart I had a new watch (which was actually perfect--I had been needing a new watch and Dr. Mad Scientist didn't get me one that year), a new wallet for Dr. Mad Scientist (something he needed), a pair of gloves (not really a necessity) and then I had about $18 left on the card. What to do? Because I wasn't about to leave $18 on a card to a store I never normally set foot in. Isn't that how stores make their money on giftcards? I mean it's nearly impossible to spend EXACTLY the amount--so you either end up with a bit of money that expires (their gain) or you end up spending a bit more money than you should to use up the entire card (again, their gain).

So I hit the clearance racks.

On the clearance racks I found two acryclic fine-gauge knit sweaters for $9 each. One was white and the other was a mint green.

I wore them for the rest of the winter season.

When I tried them on again this winter post-Moochie engorged figure, I came to realize I really didn't like them.

First off, the white sweater just didn't look good on me. It made me feel stumpy and short torsoed. And while I may BE stumpy and short torsoed, I'm not really in the market to accentuate this.

Second, the sweaters are VERY static-y. I can't stand static-y clothing.

I decided to go diving in my stash of fabric and ribbons and stuff to see what I could do to maybe re-fabricate the sweaters into something I would we more apt to wear.

After some fun with scissors and a short session with The Beast, here's what I came up with.

100_6955

Hm.

Not too horrible. Definately an improvement. But I'm not sure I'd wear this out of the house.

The pink is a little much. I look like I ought to be donning my wooden clogs and skipping off to the Tulip Festival.

I also should have really waited and bought some pink thread. However, it seemed like too small a project to justify buying a whole spool of pink thread. That, and I'm impatient!!

My sewing skills are a little crude as well.

For the top closure I snipped an old boulder holder that doesn't fit now that I'm post-Moochie.

100_6956

Worked out pretty good. And now that I see that upclose, I should probably have hemmed up the collar a bit.

Ah well, it's a fun little fartin' around the house sweater.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Penny Karma said...

The sexy bra-hook closure just clinches it.

Everybody needs a good Fartin Around the House sweater. I'm just sayin.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I like it - I think the only thing I would have done differently is have the closure be in the middle of the breasts - I can't stand things so close to my neck. Very cute outcome!

My house sweater is my Mr Greenjeans that I shouldn't have knit out of Wool-ease. Very nice sweater, but blocks for shit.

7:42 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Good idea for the solution. The ribbon choice isn't one for me - but I love the idea. The Macy's here is always having sales - although I never go to the mall.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never gone to Macy's but that looks like a great solution to the problem of not wearing those sweaters. Love, Mom

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

I have a fear of Macy's. I don't like the crowds plus the prices SUCK if you ask me. LOL And it's just TOO big.

Not crazy about the pink on the sweater. Brown woulda looked nice. or maybe gray. :D

LOL @ "boulder holder!"

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea.

Yeah, those gift cards get you every time. I'm like you, shop for the deals. My brother says I'm cheap, I say I'm frugal.

Love, Aunt Susan

8:47 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Ever since I left California and the comfort of Mervyns, I became a Macy's clearance rack girl...all my original "plastic" work pants are their JM specials...

If you're going to go all out with the ribbon, how about a white frog closure instead? I can just see my hair getting caught in the old bra closure, cuz I've got that kind of talent...(If you google how to make frog closure and there are plenty of knot-tying tutorials, if you don't have any braided cord, those old fatty shoe laces work...).

9:14 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Ill teach you Klompen dancing and you will have a reason to wear it out of the house...Im such a dutch cliche' but I do know how to Klompen dance...gawd!

10:03 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i like it! the closure is very creative. i would definitely wear it outside the house, but that's just me.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

It definitely has a tiptoe through the tulips feel! I wouldn't be able to stand the closure next to my neck, either. I do think that's clever use of a bra closure.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Oh, and I love Macy's housewares dept. They have great clearance sales. I steer away from the clothes....

11:45 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I have issues with Macys clothes too. It all seems so out of my league. I do like their houseware section though. Sometimes you can get good stuff on clearance.

I like the pink. Its girly!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm with you about Macy's - too expensive for me. When I buy myself clothes (not often) I usually go to Kohl's (good prices and a fair amount of short/petite sized clothes).

I think the sweater came out cute, by way (of course it helps that I love anything pink).

5:04 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Great refab I think! You have great ideas on what to do :) I too dislike Macy's, I rarely ever find anything in there. What's up with not having tshirts and jeans LOL?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Clever refab! Hm, I could use a haus sweater, with or without vivid pink trim and clogs.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey! I wear wooden clogs! I have a few house sweaters- so comfy and so awful looking

12:42 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

i too have a around thehouse sweater. It is one I wouldn't be caught in outside the house. But it works well inside. Way to repurpose!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home