Thursday, April 02, 2009

You Might Be a Cheapass When...

...you find that even washing and reusing ziploc baggies (or Dollar Store 60/$1 baggies in my case) is too damn expensive.

Really it's just because I'm lazy and hate washing plastic sandwich bags.

Over my bloggivacation on some Saturday or Sunday when Dr. Mad Scientist was probably on the 'puter (I usually don't do my data entry til nighttime), I hauled out The Beast.

I was inspired after I was reading a One Step Ahead catalogue, that invariably everyone who has recently squirted out a baby gets in the mail after having their name and address sold by someone., and I saw this.

I found a person on etsy selling scrap oilcloth for cheap and I had some fabric in my mini-fabric stash...

And like I was saying, I hauled out The Beast one weekend and got down.

100_6834-2
All wrapped up!

100_6835
Here comes the sandwich, doot n'doot doot!

100_6836
Mmm...peanutbuttery goodness!

Pay no attention to the way the oil cloth doesn't lie straight with the cotton. That oilcloth is a bitch to sew!!

Of course this only eliminates one of the baggies I bring in my lunch every day.

So I had to whip up a...

100_6838

...cookie envelope! Ha ha!

Now I'm not sure if my oilcloth is food-grade. It's possible I'll get cancer and die from eating off of it. However, keep in mind I was also using Dollar Store Baggies made in China. I don't think I really increased my chances of getting cancer/giving myself lead poisoning.

I've used these for about a month and I really do dig them. More like I really do dig not having to wash as many sandwich baggies (Chunky still uses them in his lunch).

My only regret is that the cookie envelope looks vaguely like the pink wrappers Kotex used to wrap their sanitary napkins when they were sold in bulk at Sam's Club/Costco a few years back.

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Disco said...

ingenious product, made better with a bit of Bezzie magic. Can you make one for Chunky in boy fabric?

7:17 AM  
OpenID bonne-amie said...

I love it--I'll have to see if I can get my seamstress (Mom) to make some for me!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To sew on oil cloth you need a teflon foot. Makes it a whole lot easier. Those are really cute! Sorry about the color...should have said something to me I could have sent you some "Pig Fabric". Love, Mom

8:08 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Those are great! But I agree, the cookie envelope looks like a pad....

8:11 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Cute! I love the pink.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

These are cool, yo.

Let me know when you figure out how to sew one to hold rice, beans and stew beef, please.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

In lieu of a teflon foot, try putting some toilet tissue or 1 ply of Kleenex between the oilcloth and the presser foot. When stitched, rip away.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love these. You should take orders on your blog. I think I'd buy one!
They would look cute all monogrammed!!

9:15 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! i've been meaning to buy some oilcloth to make a lunch bag, but most of it comes in really hideous colors/prints.

9:58 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What an AWESOME idea! At which etsy seller did you find the cheapy oilcloth, I'd love to know!

Hmmm...it does kinda look like a Kotex pad envelope, but I think that just 'cause it's pink.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

I'd way rather find cookies in my Kotex wrapper!

Very clever girl indeed! (and you know I am all about making do and mending this year!)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I have seen those sandwhich wrappers/placemats before and was intrigued, but I dunno. I don't think I'm as "cheap" as you are ;) Anywho, I wouldn't know what material to use...but hmm, I would try sewing them. Where'd you get your pattern? yourself? I bet ;)

As for the free milk I got, it's coupons, and they are all dated a week apart. So we'll be good.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

That's not cheapass, that's *trendy*. Reusable everything. And darn cute to boot!

12:00 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I wish my sandwich had a theme song.

I like your cookie envelope. I usually take a peanut butter sandwich and a piece of fruit in my lunch. Have you seen those apple cozies on etsy?

-T.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Those are very cool!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Awesomely cute and practical!

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool idea, but how do you wash them? (since that was the ziploc issue)

my verification word is "quegin" which sounds like something you'd definitely need to wash off your sandwich wrapper!

- what_pattern

4:34 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

OK, you just have the most incredible ideas. It all looks so adorable, but I'm particularly fond of the cookie envelope. That's inspired.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Those are really smart ideas. I haven't tried to sew with oilcloth yet, but I definitely need a lunchbag. I've been taking mine to work in old shoprite bags. Well, as long as your cookie pouch looks like a Kotex wrapper, you can be sure that no one will steal your cookies!

6:11 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I never would have thought to make something like that. Very cool!

7:09 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That is so cool! You are so clever.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The sandwich/cookie wraps are too cute! I've actually seen similar ones mentioned in a couple of magazines - I think they're called Wrap N' Mat. Of course, I'm sure yours cost a lot less - the ones I saw were pretty pricey, at $7-$8 a piece!

I love oil cloth though - I like retro 50's looking stuff and the oil cloth reminds of that. I especially like the oil cloth in gingham or fruit prints.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Another great idea! I think I may have to copy this one, as I'm sick of throw-away baggies ... and they'd make great gifts for my "home made Christmas" :).

9:47 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

my mom used to reuse the brown paper bags we put lunch into. Dad would get first use, he would bring htem home and mom would put the kids lunches in it th enext day. Do you find your bread getting dried out at all in the snazzy wrapper?


And speaking of going green, I am goingto have to make some bags for my local grocery store trek. The bastards are going to start chargin 5 cents a bag! And no, htey don't give you a penny or 2 back if you bring your own. they are improving their bottom line by pretending to 'go green' Bastards.

12:46 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Fabulous idea!! I hate wasting all those sandwich bags!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Kelli said...

I am highly amused.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

I love how you see things and think to yourself, "Hey, I can make that!!"

My word verification:

clogism.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home