Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Zebra Hoofprints

One of the perks of having a mom who works at a library is that she'll snag you cool magazines and books from the discard pile. I've got a collection of old Vogue and Knit Simple magazines and a couple of "vintage" knitting books.

On her recent visit, she brought me down a 1997 Better Homes and Gardens Best Baking magazine.

There were some cookies in there that Chunky insisted I make.

100_6933

They're called Zebra Cookies.

However, I'm calling my version Zebra Hoofprint cookies.

Basically take your average chocolate crinkle cookie recipe and stick a Hershey Hug in the middle of the cookie when it comes out of the oven.

What the magazine fails to mention is that the Hug might melt.

100_6934

This gives you a dimple of Hug-filled goodness. They remind me of a jam thumprint cookie when that happens. But since zebras don't have thumbs--hence the hoofprint cookie name.

Delish!!

Two hooves up!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Oh yum. Want some, now!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I didn"t know kisses melted...though the white chocolate ones may not be as um, sturdy as regular kisses...as I've actually seen those survive intact THROUGH a baking...

I have a friend who worked in a library that did me a similar favor for years. I miss it much.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Hmm. The regular Kisses survive baking better than that.

9:05 AM  
OpenID MarieGrace said...

They look yummy... of course.

I have a good friend that works at our local library. She lets me and the kids go through the recycle bin before it goes out. We dig out magazines and such. I've gotten some of my favorite magazines that way.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I actually think I have or had that magazine. If you ever make these again...try sticking the hugs/kisses in the freezer for a few minutes. When you pull the cookies out of the oven, you can put a frozen hug/kiss in, and it won't melt. Also works for mini reese's pb cups, which *I* use for cookies. :) That particular idea (the freezing) came from the hubby.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Those look great!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Mmmmmmmm. I love how they stay swirled even when they melt!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Those cookies are brilliant! I prefer the melty ones.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh drooling here! Reminds me of the chocolate crinkle cookies my mom used to make. The hugs addition is even better! How cool to have some rare and hard to find mags and books! :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Hmmm...and mmmm...so simple.
-T.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Oh they look so good.

I was chuckling at your mom getting you the discarded magazines. I snagged a pile for my gramma a month or so ago. She enjoyed them.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you like the mag. I will keep my eyes open for more and if I see any I'll send them your way. Love, Mom

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home