Friday, May 29, 2009

Death of a Statesman

I don't talk about work much on my blog.

Not as much as I used to--and then deleted. This is post #733 for me. If I hadn't gone and deleted about 75 posts wherein I bitched about working for The Man back in Michigan--I'd be rounding 800 right about now.

However, one day I saw that someone at the old firm had found my blog. They weren't on here for more than one second, but it was enough to teach me.

Since then, I've been good about keeping my major gripes about work to vague minimum.

That said, this story is too good to pass up.

Yesterday we had a very special visitor to the firm.

I won't directly mention who--other than to say he's up for re-election this year in Nueva Jersey and Attorney DK, the first name on the letterhead, is his go-to man for all of his election law legal needs.

Special Visitor was there for a little fundraiser Attorney DK was throwing him. It lasted about forty five minutes and the attorneys and secretarial staff got to rub elbows with Special Visitor.

It was a big schmoozefest I guess. I didn't get to go because the schmoozefest started at 8:00 a.m. and this girlie has a family to support both financially and otherwise--I just couldn't get there at 8:00 a.m. (Work starts at 9:00 a.m. here on the East Coast--I know! I thought that 9 to 5 was just a myth perpetuated by bad Dolly Parton songs!!). Gotta keep that economy going right?

Anyway, the two associate attorneys I sit near--Associate Ick and Associate Rude (those aren't meant to be demeaning names--they're a couple of nice guys) came back and told me about something horrible that had happened to Special Visitor during the hob knob session.

Chatty Cathy

At one point during the event, Chatty Cathy cornered Special Visitor!!!

Apparently when Associate Rude saw this he turned to Associate Ick and said:

"Should I go and save Special Visitor? He's going to lose the election if I don't--he'll be talking to her for the next four years."

Maybe you had to be there, or maybe you have to know exactly who Special Visitor is (I'm sure my NJ peeps will figure it out) but this little story cracked me the hell up!!!!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

No clue - although I did hear on the radio today that NJ and VA are the only states with odd-year elections.

My office hours are supposed to be 7:30 - 3:45... but it has been more like til 5pm lately. I'm not going to complain about being busy.

8:28 PM  
Blogger janna said...

8:30-5:30 for me -- although in reality it's usually more like 8:40-5:25, with a 30 minutes lunch. I've always wanted a job where they pay you to eat lunch (or your 40 hour week is really 35)....

11:24 PM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

I'm sorry, I'm still giggling over Bezidence. I don't think I'll ever stop.

When I worked at the MD General Assembly in the Amendment Office, I rubbed shoulders with state senators, delegates, and their ilk all the time. It was always a heady experience.

One time the Governor was in the hall wandering round, and I nearly ran into him. He was very, very short, and I barely recognised him.

Another time I was in the canteen behind a rather grandfatherly soul who was getting as is lunch a pack of Hostess Cupcakes, a rice Krispies bar, and a coffee. I said with mock horror, "I sinCEREly hope that's not your lunch, young man! Tsk tsk tsk...!" We bantered back and forth, then he left.

When I got back to my desk, I looked on the picture directory and realised I'd just berated the Speaker of the House of Delegates.

Whoops.

But that's nothing to the havoc I accidentally caused on the Senate floor when it was in session. *sigh*

1:43 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm an 8-4 person and I had to fight to get it. Everyone wants us to work 9-5. People only have problems during those hours, evidently.

Poor Special Visitor. I think I'd have left him there. If a NJ candidate, we're probably better off without him.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Chatty Cathy strikes again!

I'm an 8-4 person also, though I never leave until 5 anyway. I used to be 9-5, but I get so much more done in that quiet first hour when no one else is there.

6:34 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Was the Very Special Visitor Zonda?

7:30 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

ACK! Cornered by Chatty Cathy! The perils of public service.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Chatty Cathy sure gets around!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm an 8-4 person...and I had to fight to get it as well. Let me not get into it or I'll get pissed off all over again.

Hmmm, you'll email me who Special Visitor was? :)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I don't know who special visitor X is but the thought of chatty cathy cornering him and keeping him there for the next four years screwing up election chances has me snickering.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Every time I am tempted to vent about work on my blog (about once every 10 minutes), I take a deep breath and don't. I just keep repeating the mantra..."the internet is public, the internet is public" and the urge goes away.

I've run into the most unexpected people in the oddest places. Sports types in the malls in Pittsburgh. The governor sat behind me in church one time, and after I turned to shake his hand it took me about 10 minutes to figure out why he looked so familiar. (Get out much?)

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home