Monday, May 04, 2009

Whatta Weekend!

Saturday was NJSASK! Lots of Sitting And Sans Kids! It.was.jawesome!

I kinda forgot my camera, Chris did a great write up here. We had a good time!

Hopefully by October she'll have her knee back and I'll have my boobs back.

Sunday was a constant drizzle so it was inside all day.

Which was fine. I needed to tend to a couple of things.

Mending mainly.

One of the joys--aside from the comingling of strangers pubic hairs or finding strange underwear in your laundry when you get home--is that the machines can be mean to your clothes. And if they eat one of the buttons on your work pants, you are shit out of luck in ever getting that button back.

100_7010

I consulted my downright pathetic button jar to find a matching button and miraculously found one!

100_7011

Next up I tackled my winter coat.

This coat is almost as old as those work-pants (the work pants are about 7.5 years old--I think I bought them after I had Chunky). I LOVE my winter coat. It's a black wool peacoat.

Yes, I realize by confessing this I am totally showing my Wonderbreadness, but I LOVE this coat. I love the pockets, I love the collar, it's warm enough for a mild Lower 48 winter, I love it. It's my go-to "dress" coat.

So I was a little sad to realize this year the cuffs were starting to wear.

100_7014

I came THIS close to buying a new peacoat. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

The ones I saw were:

a) Too expensive (I bought my coat on winter clearance--even the winter clearance ones I saw this season, I couldn't beat or match what I paid for mine); or

b) Just not the same. They had different pockets, or were straight-cut, or had hoods, or cinchy belts--I wanted something identical to mine.

I committed myself to just wearing the coat with the frayed cuffs.

And then it hit me--

100_7013

Bias tape!

100_7016

This was too gentle of a task for The Beast so I handsewed the tape on the cuffs.

The verdict??

100_7017

I can't wait for the weather to get cold again!!!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

Clever idea. I have to rely on the dryers at the local laundramat since I lost mine in the great electrical debacle of 2009. What's a NJSASK? It looks like it involves food and fiber. Sounds like perfect.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had fun on Saturday.
Good job on the coat. If you need buttons, I'm your woman! My Mom kept almost every button starting in the 1950s. She would even save buttons from worn out clothes(& unworn out fabric). She was very thrify & crafty. Anyway, when she passed away, my sister-in-law and I divided up buttons she had. We know how sneaky those buttons can be! I'm sure I would be able to find what you need in my vast collection of buttons. Snail mail would get it there in a couple of days. Love, Aunt Susan

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NJSASK is that like a "Stitch 'n Bitch"?
That bias will get you more than a couple more years out of your coat. Your Beast could have done that you just need to have the right needle. I am thinking a 14 or 16 would have done the job.
What? No pictures of the boys! That's OK I will survive! Love, Mom

8:15 AM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

A brilliant mending solution! Would also work great for pants/skirts/shirts!

9:01 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

Great job on the coat! i am still kicking myself for giving away my favorite (and very expensive) peacoat from college b/c the lining was torn. not that i know how to insert a new lining but i bet i could figure it out.

9:06 AM  
Blogger amy said...

That's a very smart fix on your coat. Way to go! I need to sit down and do some sewing again. I'm so far behind!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Here's a trick for buttons on the waistband of pants. You can buy the pound-on kind at fabric stores. These are like the type traditionally found on jeans and once one of those suckers is on, it tends not to come off. They look a little less formal, so maybe not for your work pants. But keep in mind!

I love it when I find a way to get more use out of something that other people would just trash. Great job on the coat! If the thin bias tape doesn't hold up over the long haul, you can look into some more substantial braided trim, or buy some black wool and make some bias tape from that.

9:26 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Yay for saving your favorite coat for a few more years!! Great job! Glad to hear you had a fun weekend!

10:54 AM  
Blogger JRS said...

Brilliant idea with the bias tape. And it even matches. I had a bitch of a time trying to find some for some upcoming projects. Pgh is lame on the fabric store front, unfortunately.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Once again, you are the queen of clever. Glad yo had a fun no kids stitch!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Yay for bias tape!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

You're on a roll! The bias tape looks like fancy detailing, nobody will ever know it wasn't attached for reasons other than designerly coolness.

7:38 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nice job using bias tape to save the day! Er, coat!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

awesome repair jobs! I bought a cute shirt here, but the cap-sleeves were uber-tight (to fit the skinny armed thai girls), so I snipped out the underarm seam, opened it up and sewed it up again. Instant roomy sleeves, and no one can tell.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Very clever repair! It's hard to find the perfect coat.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Glad you had a good day :) Hehe great idea with the bias tape. Hey, if you can think of other ways to use it, I have a ton from my needlecase, LMK!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

You may be prepared for winter, but I really hope it will be a loooooong while before it comes.

a=

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

you're so damn creative!! i love how the bias tape worked!! i know how hard it is when you have a fave coat.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Great idea!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home