Saturday, June 20, 2009

Like a Cement Watermelon

I had the camera in the car with me on the way home from work this week.

I took pictures of memorable places on my commute.

Here's one that I don't think I ever blogged about, and if I did, I'm sorry to repeat (I went back and looked...). Six months post-Moochie and I still don't get too much sleep.

100_7204

This is the intersection that I was stopped at on a November (maybe it was December) weekday as I was on my way to one of my final Moochie pregnancy appointments. While I was stopped there, a guy was making a righthand turn onto the road I was on (from the corner where you see the phone sign). What the dude turning didn't realize was that there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk.

He hit, and I watched the man get hit by that car.

Talk about frightening. It was a lot like when you see people get hit by cars on TV.

Except he didn't fly into the air too much. Probably because the car wasn't going
that fast. However, he rolled over the guys hood and smashed his head into the upper corner of the driver's side windshield.

And he smashed the glass with his head.

Like a cement watermelon.

His head left a dinner sized plate spiderweb of broken glass.

The pedestrian was actually walking--correction: limping--after he was hit. I felt bad driving away.

However, the driver didn't drive away and everyone else in the intersection stayed behind after the light turned green.

I've seen a lot of crazy ass things in my scant two years of New Jersey driving. I watched a motorcyclist hit a car and go flying over it. I saw this guy get hit by a car. And about two months ago I was driving home and a guy going in the opposite direction right before he passed me, had his tire fall off. Not the rubber fall off his tire--his whole TIRE fell off the axle. Luckily he too wasn't going too fast and I was able to swerve around his tire as it rolled into my lane.

Gotta love this state's roads!!!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

All I can say is Wow! I've driven all across the country from the east coast to Texas, and all over Germany, and I have to say that I've never seen any of those things happen - I'm not sorry, mind you, but I'm not sure what it says about New Jersey drivers ;).

9:17 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Wow. and people make fun of California drivers.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I once saw a bicyclist get hit bya car. The car hit the bicyclist, the rider rolled up the hood of the car, rolled off, hit the pavement, bounced up like a rubber ball and immmediately started berating the driver. If I hadn't beenso horrified, it would have been funny.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, and I thought Cleveland drivers were bad!

Well, no, I shouldn't say that. Over the past year, two pedestrians have been struck and killed downtown by public bus (RTA) drivers. Both were in crosswalks, crossing on red lights.

In the second case, the driver hit the man, stopped her bus, and didn't even bother to get out to see if he was OK. She just sat in her bus and waited for police and an ambulance to come. The man was still alive, but ended up brain dead, and his family ended up taking him off life support a week later.

And what's so crazy is that this driver had hit another pedestrian a few years ago, was fired, and the bus driver's union forced the transit authority to give her her job back! It's bad enough she got her job back, but she should have at least been put on a desk job, rather than being allowed to drive a bus again.

What's worse is that this second time, she was going to be charged with a felony, but ended up only being charged with a misdemeanor, even though a traffic camera showed that she was at fault for running the guy over!

Some of these RTA drivers make me nervous. I've had drivers who speed, ones who spend more time flirting with female passengers than paying attention to the road, and one who was alternately talking on her cell phone and drinking coffee while driving the bus. I think it's amazing there aren't more bus/pedestrian fatalities here.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I knew driving in Jersey made me nervous for a reason. One of my good friends (and much better driver than me) lives in Jersey and she thinks Jersey drivers are way more ntty than NY ones.

That;s some scary stuff. I probably would have passed out.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes! There is a reason why when we go up north, we avoid NJ ;)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Yikes. That's scary stuff. The Economist was almost run over the other day when he was out for a run. At an intersection, some driver waved him across the road, then proceeded to start driving. Hubby had enough momentum going that he slammed into the rear of the car and had his foot run over by the rear driver's side wheel. Fortunately, his big toe was just bruised a bit. The driver slowed down but didn't stop once he saw that W. was okay. Yikes.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I saw someone get hit once and it was seriously scary, they did fly and they did not make it.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, NJ drivers are crazy! But I think that Anchorage drivers are getting there!! I had jury duty and got off about one hour before your YYB did and I walked to his office for my ride home....needless to say I about got ran over by a couple of cars cause they did not stop for the stop light when making a right turn and they just barely gave the ped crossing the street the right away (which was ME)! If there is a next time I am going to take A St. the traffic is going the other way and there are no right turns. Love, Mom

1:41 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

We have seen a few good ones here by our house. We have an access road that takes you down into the city.

Drivers take out the signs all the time and the barricade too (one side closes at rush hour).

The worst was a guy and his daughter on a motorcycle. Another car did not yield going down and he had the right of way coming up. He saw it coming (that he was going to get hit) and threw his teenage daughter of the back of the bike and he was only hit. He had a broken pelvis. He was a big guy and they could not get the medicine into him quick enough and he was in so much pain and screaming. We could hear and see it from out house.

Another time a van was following another van and when the one in front stopped at the stop sign and the two guys got out and pulled the driver and passenger out of the other van and started beating on them....apparently they had had words at a gas station and the one van followed the other. Insane.

Bunch of fuck nuts on the road.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home