Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Transformers! More Than Meets The Eye!!!

I'm sitting at my desk this morning chasing my tail as the stacks of filing slowly increase and threaten to topple down upon me and smother me. If I'm lucky they'll only cripple me and I can get workers comp.

Anyway, I'm sitting there entering timesheets for the entire month* in one sitting, and we hear a big BOOM! And the building shakes.

Since we had been listening to the repairmen of the Perpetually Broken Elevator drill to the center of the building (the elevators are never running right and we are probably single handedly keeping the elevator repair industry in business) I figured maybe they had dropped something.

A few minutes later, one of the associates sitting near me noticed some black smoke coming from the street.

A few minutes after that, the sireeens (yes, that's how Chatty Cathy would say the word "sirens") down below were deafening--moreso than usual.

Ends up that at 11:30 a.m. a transformer exploded and caught fire at the building just down the way from our building.

Three people were walking over the grate on the street where the transformer was when it caught fire. Frightening because if this had happened an hour later--yours truly could have been a walking BK Broiler herself.

Thankfully everyone was OK. Unfortunately everyone on the block but US lost power. I was a bit pissed about that.

Oh well, I got most of my timesheets input.

As I left the office, it started to storm and pour like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

When I got home, Dr. Mad Scientist brought this to my attention:

100_7274

Fan-frickin'-tastic.

I can tell you exactly why this happened.

1. The landlord needs to put a new roof on this place but can't afford to. We already have a spot in our closet that leaks just like this every time we get lots of rain (knock on soggy wood, it hasn't leaked this year).

2. We have effin' squirrels or some other vermin living up in the ceiling. I can hear them scratching around. Do you think he cares when I tell him this?? Nope.

I've even gone so far as to document it. Turn up your speakers--the middle of this short little clip you can REALLY hear the nasty ass thing scratching around up there.



Seriously? I understand that a roof is expensive. But so is losing $1200 a month from rental income when your tenants get sick of putting up with Sammy the Squirrel and his Leaky Roof.

But the day wasn't for naught.

I still came home to two dorky boys that were happy to see me.

100_7275100_7276

Seriously these goofballs are the only thing that keep me sane sometimes.



*Timesheets for the virgin who has never worked for, worked as, or had to pay an attorney is how they bill for their time. In a perfect world, after they complete each thing they do, they would write it down and the time they spent doing it.

"June 23: Phone conference with Client Schmoe regarding upcoming hearing in Schmoe v. Dillweed. .60 hours"

However, I find this is never the case.

They usually wait til the last week, or the last day of the month to write out their timesheets. So instead of entering 20 sheets one by one each day into the billing system--I usually have to do 20 on the last day of the month with the Billing Administrator breathing down my neck sending me threatening emails in all capital letters.

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Yeah So said...

Ah, so that's the reason we got a memo telling us that the Newark folks were coming to our office this week. Sucks that you didn't lose power! Oh well. And you know they make that shit up at the end of the month - I had to do timesheets in a former life and I never remembered what I actually did.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Beverly said...

Holy hell woman! That scratching would make me loony. I don't do well with unnecessary noise.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hey, that looks like a picture of my hallway ... a few years ago. We got a new roof ... and it does cost a bit, but losing the monthly income would be a lot more painful than the one-time cost of having the repairs done.

I do my taxes the way your attorneys do their time sheets. Only the billing administrator is my husband, who's doing the taxes and asking me for my business information so that he can input it. I usually wait until the day after he gets his W-2 - twelve months worth of invoices and receipts - Good thing he loves me ;).

9:29 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I don't know that I could ever sleep with the sound of squirrels in the roof. The mice at my place have scarred me for life. That sucks about the roof.

My firm doesn't bill time. Its really odd, but I'm glad we don't have billable time. Sounds like a hassle.

The boys look more and more alike!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

good grief you had a hellacious day!! but what cute boys to come home to.

we lived in an adorable house in san diego with a leaky ceiling that the landlord wouldn't fix - until it started raining INTO our toilet. sigh. that was not a fun day. hope yours improves!!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Moochie is so freaking cute. He and Chunky should swap names - Chunky ain't so Chunky no more.

I think you should find another place to live - what a nightmare with the roof and the animals!!!!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote with everyone else....You need to find a new place to live. I don't know if I would want to live where there were critters up above.

Glad that you were not hurt or anyone else by that transformer! We had a power outage here last Saturday and had to listen to your YYB's computer backup battery beep for 2 and a half hours!! (We didn't know how or if you could turn it off.)

Chunky is getting to be such a big guy! And Moochman is just a Cutie!!

Love, Mom

8:16 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

it's a scary sign that the landlord can't fix the roof. what is he doing with all the rent money he's collecting?

my LL stinks too. he owns a large chunk of my neighborhood and has employees but also claims he is broke.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

SNORT! Cow peeing on a flat rock! Since I can see a cow pee on almost any day of the week. This have great graphic appeal.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

holy cow. That scratching is insane. I'm really going to get on the ball and get the squirrels out of the roof of my place. I don't want to have my tenant posting videos. :)

9:20 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Yeah, I'd say that's squirrels. Mice/rats/bats aren't as noisy and more "scratchy" sounding, and raccoons are a LOT louder.

And there was a transformer on Prue Rd. that exploded at least twice while I lived near there - it makes a good boom!

10:06 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

1. At least you are only on the hook for your rent each month and not on the hook for the new roof. We're staring gutter and roof repairs in the face.

2. On top of everything else.

3. Being in the ONLY building that didn't lose power would totally fit with my June Gloom. Glad you survived!

11:04 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

What a day is right! hope today goes better!

And thoes boys....seriously too cute for words!!!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Necia said...

Bez,
I can't even begin to comment on everything in this post. All I can say is YOU HAVE A WAY WITH words! And, you may single handedly be responsible for me damn near peeing on myself.

Thank You

That is All

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

thank HEAVENS my attys enter their own time tickets in. they got tired of using a pen and book to write them down plus they figured out that it's faster/easier to just type them in there damnselves. LOL

but yea, at the end of the month there's a slew of emails of secretaries offering their OT to enter time tickets. i never take those. hate them shits.

i LOVED your skirt curtains as a skirt. what's wrong w/it??? i would so wear that.

and do be sure to not pay your landlord til he fixes that mess!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I lived with critters in the "attic" when I was a grad student. It was all well and good until they started playing football (I think I had raccoons) and one tackled the other so hard the entire place (MIL unit) shook and my glasses fell off my bookshelf and broke.

Start looking for a new place...though I know moving sucks, oh how I know moving sucks...but in this market? You might make out with a better place at a nicer price.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad you were still at work and not out walking when the transformer blew up!

That's lousy about the ceiling. That animal scratching would drive me nuts. I know houses cost a lot in NJ compared to other parts of the country, but even so, it seems like with the landlord getting $1,200 a month in rent from you guys, he can't be too bad off. You should go on your county auditor's and recorder's website, and see how much of a mortgage (if any) your landlord still has on the house, and figure out if he's making a profit from your rent. You never know - he might be on of those folks that lives like a pauper and cries broke, but has a ton of money in the bank, or stuffed in a mattress somewhere.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

The thought of squirrels in the attic would make me insane....let alone the noise.

Your boys as always.....super cute!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

The thought of squirrels in the attic would make me insane....let alone the noise.

Your boys as always.....super cute!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you just made me feel really bad that I gave my secretary 10 days of time to enter today and the promise of 12 more days to enter tomorrow... I resolve each and every month that "THIS is the month I'll do time sheets everyday!" but it never happens...

9:31 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Attorney timesheets...squirrels in the ceiling...very little difference between the two.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Oooh. That sucks. We had a squirrel in our attic. It is gone now, but the nest it left is about 4 feet long and a foot tall. Hubby is going to dismantle it shortly. Yuck. One squirrel in the ceiling sounds like a heard of elephants!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Stories like htat make me glad my landlord is a good 'un. He replaced theroof last year and redid the deck this year. I have a deck! One I can stand on without fear it will collapse! It is a wondrous thing

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home