Monday, June 22, 2009

Weekend With The Beast

It was a grocery shopping weekend here this past weekend--we only go every other week. I would probably be dead of a stroke or in jail for murder if I had to do it ever week.

But as I was wrastling with my coupons on Saturday, I got fed up with shoving them into a pocket of my purse where they really didn't fit. They were a mess.

Off to the internets I went a'surfin.

I took a pattern for a checkbook cover and made this.

100_7210

100_7212

100_7211
I saved $39 in coupons this trip--WOAH! I haven't been that lucky since we left Kroger in Michigan!

I love it! I keep the coupons I'm not using in the top pocket and the current trip's coupons in the bottom pocket.

The button is one that Chunky found at school and brought home for me. Hee hee, I'm raising a scavenger!

It's not the best sewing job--as you can see the top stitching isn't that fabulous. But I dig it.

And the best part?

100_7213

It fits in my purse!!!

And before someone asks: the green and brown thing you see in there that looks handmade? It is. But it's a Mighty Mini Pouch. Love that thing!

The sewing doesn't end there.

On Sunday The Beast and I made what I'm calling the Single White Female Skirt.

See, Pocket Farmer had a really cool blog I used to love reading. But she dropped out of the blogosphere for entirely reasonable reasons. And now I can only follow what she's up to on Flickr.

I saw that she had sewn these really cool looking skirts and she listed the pattern number she used -- McCalls 2255 -- in the pictures of the skirts she made.

I located the pattern for cheap. Visited my local fabric store. Got busy with The Beast and voila!

100_7214

Oh purr!!!

I love this skirt!!!

Even though I'm calling it the Single White Female Skirt, I had been craving a non-black skirt and this inspiration (can you call it that when you're blatently copying someone??) came along at the best time.

The print is super funky ugly too. I love it!

100_7215

And although I was feeling too lazy to properly center the camera on me or change out of my disgusting-weekend-baby-spit-up t-shirt, it fits like a dream!

100_7217

I recycled the elastic that I saved from my skirt curtains for the waistband. I didn't have to worry about trying to find the right length of elastic--bonus!

I will definitely be making this one again!

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger Linnea said...

Totally darling skirt. I love the fabric. Might have to get out my own beast (the sewing machine, not the husband) this afternoon and give something similar a shot, although I'm too cheap/lazy to find the exact pattern. Nicely done.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Great skirt (and tshirt combo ;0) )

Love the coupon holder too - I think I have a pattern for one of those in a book somewhere. I'll take my 'inspiration' from you, on the coupon organisation front :0)

6:59 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I used to have two skirts like that. One in pink and one in blue. I had forgotten them but now I remember how perfect they were on hot summer days (remember them? hot summer days?) Maybe I should pull out my "beast" and make a couple for the summer. And I owe Pk a case for his tools. I see sewing in my future.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

The beast treated you well this weekend! This weekend was our shopping trip too (we're bi-weekly shoppers too) and I had my coupons shoved in my pocket. I might just have to blatanly copy you.

Love the skirt!

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice coupon holder! Wow!!! I can't imagine saving that much money grocery shopping! Were they having double coupon day? We don't get those up here!

That is a 1930's print you made your skirt out of. It turned out really nice! And like you said it fits you like a glove!!!

I think that the beast is becoming a friend!!!

Love, Mom

8:04 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice sewing! i especially love the coupon holder.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to make myself one of those coupon holders. I have this big, plastic coupon holder. Not very user friendly. It seems like I'm at the store all the time(usually for milk). I try to go once a week on Wednesday or Thursday(sale ads come out on Wednesday). You hit the jack-pot on savings. Sam works at a local grocery store & about every 2-3 months he or his family gets a 10% discount on a shopping trip. That just came around & I saved $17. I was happy with that.

Love the skirt. Looks great for summer.

Love, Aunt Susan

8:29 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

You are turning into a sewing fool! But that purse of yours...it's waaaay too small. How am I gonna carry my cell phone, mywallet, my pda, my hearing aid remote, my hearign aid spare batteries, my emergency ibuprofen and Excedrin, kleenex etc????

8:35 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Love the skirt - and the coupon holder! I think my record is somewhere around $20 saved...but...question...do you just file them somewhere when you clip them, or keep them in an unsorted pile? (My pile is rather large) I've got this sorting thing set up - but not enough pockets for ones I'm using on a given trip...need to work on another pocket, perhaps?

10:38 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Love them both! You and the Beast make a great team! Okay, why does that sound dirty...

10:57 AM  
Blogger Meg Weaver said...

How do you make time to do this? I can barely find time to cook a reasonable dinner! Emma's two months younger than Moochie and I'm working full time with a Daddy that works more than full time. Can you share some tips?

The first time Mommy who hasn't been calm since February.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Cute skirt! I've been planning to cannibalize an out-of-style one for something classic like this...

12:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Cute skirt! I rarely wear skirts anymore (because I'm self concious about my legs and stomach), but when I do, I also love printed ones. Of course, I'm totally jealous that you're still so thin and have a flat stomach after just having had a baby! I had my son 6 years ago and have yet to lose any weight. Sigh...

The coupon holder is really cute too, by the way!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I should sew myself one of those coupon holders - I, too, hate shoving them into pockets in my purse.

Your skirt is super-cute! Very summer-y.

5:31 PM  
Blogger eag said...

OH Go Girl!! Well done on the skirt and the coupony thing.
Next thing is to give up Supermarkets and just grow or shop at Farmers' Markets!!
I'm trying to give my Beast away, it doesn't love me and I'm out of love with it.Too much else to do as well.I let people with talent use it, much better idea!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

You're becoming a pro!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I love the coupon holder! Great colors, too!

8:17 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

LOVE the skirt! It looks perfect!

8:21 PM  
OpenID knitv said...

Soooo... just how frugal/green are you? I found a great idea, if you're game ;)

http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/show/3898

9:10 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Love the colors on the coupon thingie - and great skirt! Stop! You"re making me want to sew and I dont have time for that!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I love that skirt fabric too! Not that it would look as good on me, but still love it! Nice job on the coupon holder and savings this week!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Love that wallet!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love the skirt....so cute.

And your coupon holder. We don't get coupons like that here. Were you could save that much. We get fliers from the stores telling you what is on sale the week. I find the back and forth to stores too much though....not even worth it.

I would rather have more coupons available.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home