Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Card Carrying

It's Meme Time!

IN YOUR SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL…
1. Did you date someone from your school? No.

2. Did you car pool to school? If you count driving w/siblings to school...then yeah I guess.

3. What kind of car did you have? None.

4. What kind of car do you have now? What does this have to do with my senior year of high school?

5. Its Sunday night…where are you now? Holy Peanutbutter Schnitzels, this has nothing to do with senior year nor is it Sunday night!!!!

Ok, screw that meme. I don't even care about what I was doing back then--why would you?

I'm starting a new meme. Based on the lovely thing I scored today.

100_7312

Yes, I already have a library card for the town I live in. But the library is closed on weekends for the summer.

I just finished my last books and I don't have time to go there after work. I have to get to my Moochie for a milking.

I was going crazy getting my moo on at lunch with my Magic Mama Milker with nothing to read. One can only stare at the massive bank of computer servers for so long without getting bored.

Today after my moo session, I took a little walk and I got myself a Newark library card. Because I work in Newark, it was free

Yes, yes, I realize there are people that don't have to pay for their library cards--but it really depends where you live. Every library is different--my hometown Alaskan library charges non residents for cards. And they should. I mean the non residents don't pay taxes to fund that library--why should they get to reap the benefits for free? I know my employer pays taxes to the city, and because they do, that's less money they can pay me, therefore indirectly I am paying for the Newark library system in a small way.

Anyway problem solved. I can now be occupied while I milk myself for 20 minutes a day.

I really like the design of the Newark card though.

Which is why I'm starting a new meme.

If you've made it this far--I want to see YOUR library card.

Post a picture of your library card and let me know you did in the comments.

Just make sure that you block out or blur the card number if it appears on the front of the card--we don't want people using your card to put in an inter library loan for 12 dozen copies of The Joy of Sex!

You can tag someone if you want...whatever. Just don't tell me where you were driving to with your boyfriend/girlfriend on Sunday night your senior year. Ha ha!

Here's a small sampling of my current and past cards. I couldn't find my Texass or Palmer, Alaska card. I know I didn't throw them away. Don't ask me why I hold on to that stuff.

100_7304_edited-1.jpg

Top right is my Lansing, MI card; next to it is my Juneau, AK card; then Newark; and finally Bloomfield--probably the most snoozeworthy design of the four.

My favorite design is Juneau's.

100_7310

Perfect depiction of Southeast Alaska in that design.

It also reminds me of the day that I raven tried to kill me as I was walking through the woods one day in Juneau. But that's another post.

Have at it!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

Your SA library card was probably purple, although I think they were giving out a different color for a while.

I've posted my IC card -- really boring!

12:03 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Nevermore?

6:50 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I wonder if I still have my Queens card. I'll have to do some digging for Bklyn/NYC, but I know I have them, as well as my Monmouth County card. Next blog post.

Now, as for Sunday nights.....I was... :)

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

High School...I can't remember that far back or I killed too many brain cells during that time.

Library cards I have had...boring. I remember growing up that my card was heavy duty paper with a small metal piece with my number on it. My East Mo card is bright orange(happens to be one of the HS school colors-orange & black). Nothing exciting on it. Love, Aunt Susan

12:57 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

They're all so different!

I have my new Brooklyn one, Might even have the old one we got in elentary school if I look.

I'll put it in my next blog post as well.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That Alaska library card looks pretty cool!

Hmmm, none of the libraries in the Cleveland area charge for library cards. I've never heard of that before. We have a Cleveland Public Library system (city of Cleveland only), Cuyahoga County library system (many of the suburbs), and then some suburbs, like mine, have their own independent library systems.

I love my local library. They do a good job keeping the crochet and knitting books up to date. The library had a big problem with teenagers hanging around by the front doors, acting rowdy and getting into fights, so they started playing classical music from speakers at the front door, trying to discourage the teenagers from hanging around, ha, ha! They started stationing a police officer outside when the classical music didn't work.

It makes me feel old that I remember when library cards were paper, I had to look up books in an paper index card catalog, and the librarians kept track of checkouts and returns in a huge hardcover log book. Librarians today have it made now that everything is computerized.

One of my first jobs was at a library, shelving books all day. I love to read, so I thought working at a library would be fun. Ha! The boredom made me quit after barely 6 months, and go back to my Burger King job.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I'm at work (yes, they know I surf) so I can't post yet, but I will...on monday, mmkay?

1:18 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Oh - and whether or not you're charged for a card from a neighboring town depends on what sort of consortial agreements are in place. Some states have state-wide programs that allow people to get a card in any town, while other have more local programs. And in many (most?) states, it will depend on whether your town has a library -- if you are library-less, you'll have to pay when you go to the other town. Sounds unfair, but remember that libraries are tax-supported, so they want you to be paying your taxes on a library somewhere. Otherwise, there would be towns that closed their library because the residents could just go to the next town over and use theirs

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Library cards, computers, teenagers, pre-teens, books and magazines that is what libraries are made of! Yes, we do ask that you prove that you pay taxes and suport us. We know that if we give you a card and you don't pay in any way shape or form that you will check out books and never return them!! We have seen it happen!!! Love, Mom

11:21 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Mine's posted at the kansashooker.blogspot.com. I love my card!!!! I especially love perusing books from home then reserving them, and finally going to the drive-thru window and picking them up!!! Magic!!!!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

I posted mine. The S.A. card is purple!!

7:08 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I'm hopelessly behind, but trying to catch up! The Mt. Lebanon card is a keychain thing ... like your grocery shoppers card ... tiny. Has a picture of the new library building on it. Yours are much more exciting!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home