Monday, July 13, 2009

Don't Tell Dr. Mad Scientist

But if I could marry a cookie. I would probably marry this one.

100_7337
I'm trying to get a bit less boring with my standard "Here they are on the cooling rack" shots.

I ought to publish a book: 52 Cookies: A Cookie for Every Week.

That Crock Pot A Year Blogger chick got a book deal. And that stupid cooking with Julia Childs blogger got a book and a lousy movie (I can't watch the preview without cringing seeing Meryl Streep do Julia Childs...oh god...the agony. The poor woman hasn't been dead for five years yet. C'mon Meryl. Let her alone!).

I just need to hire a bitchin' food photographer to snap my cookies (hm, that sounds kind of sexual).

Nothing too artsy fartsy. Maybe something with grumpy cats glowering in the background?

Anyway, let me tell you about these cookies.

They are called "Metropolitian Granola Cookies."

Some bakery (why the Metropolitan Bakery in Philadelphia it would appear) created them to schill their granola. You add it to the cookie batter.

But buying granola? I can't do that!

First you toast 4 cups of rolled oats (not instant) on two cookie sheets for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. After the first five minutes is up--shuffle the oats around for an even toast.

100_7322

While they're a'toasting, mix together 4 tablespoons of melted butter, a tablespoon of vanilla, and 2/3 cup of honey.

100_7321
It looks nasty, but it gets better trust me.

Once it's toasted, add your oatmeal, a cup of coconut and a cup of almonds (not pictured--and honestly, any chopped nut would do, although my almonds were slivered).

100_7324

Mix the mixture well, and dump it back onto the cookie sheets.

100_7325

Spread it out on the sheets and again at 350 degrees bake it for 14 minutes--after the first seven minutes shuffling it around.

After 14 minutes, behold the toasty goodness.

100_7326

Let it cool for a bit and add any mix ins you want. I added 1 1/2 cups of cranberries.

100_7331

While the granola was baking, I made the cookie dough.

I creamed together 1 1/2 sticks of butter with 1 1/3 cups brown sugar and 1/2 a cup granulated sugar.

Then I added a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of kosher salt (although any salt would probably do I suppose), 1 egg, and a tablespoon of vanilla.

Me and Boopsie (my hand mixer)got to work getting these ingredients together.

100_7328

Next you add in 3/4 cups of white flour, 1 cup rolled oats, and 2/3 cup of wheat flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

Finally you add in 1 3/4 cup of the granola.

Drop balls o'dough onto the cookie sheet. Pat 'em down a bit, bake for 11-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

100_7332

The end result is amazing. I can only dream to someday become Mrs. Granola Cookie.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Needs chocolate chips... my all time fave is chocolate chip oatmeal - and I bet chocolate chip granola cookies would be good, too.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You cookie diva, you. Cookies look yummy. Cookbook deal?? That would be sweet. Love, Aunt Susan

8:25 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Yum! And I agree -- chocolate chips would be great in them, I think!

9:29 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

You know me, I'm not much of a cookie person, but those might turn me to the dark side.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

ok..so drooling now!!! Yum!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh wow, those look so good! I love coconut! I can't eat nuts though - sigh... I must agree with Jo that the only thing missing is chocolate chips!

And hey, why not a cookbook? I read an article not too long ago in Woman's Day or Family Circle about this woman who started experimenting with sugar cookie recipes, and fancy decorated shaped cookies, when she became a stay at home mom. Everyone she made the cookies for raved about them, and she ended up starting her own business selling cookies for special occasions, and just signed a contract for a cookbook. And I'm sure your cookies are much better than plain old sugar cookies!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Its got coconut and almonds. I'm sold!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Those look so good. I could so see you having a cookie book. It would rock!

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now pronounce you....Baker and Cookie! You may eat the Cookie!
Hahahaha!!! I know Chunky would love to marry a cookie!!
That would keep you on your diet if you had to marry the cookie before you ate it!!!
Love, Mom

9:46 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Totally do the 52 cookie thing. Put to gether an outline and send it off to some book company. Or rather ALL the book companies....you would rock at it

3:25 PM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

Oh my gosh - I am so making those!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I keep telling you Bezzie - you need to write that book of cheap-ass tips, it could be a series: Cheap-ass pot gardens,A Cheap-ass Christmas, Cheap-ass cookies. I swear - this could be your money spinner! =P


Also - I saw this and thought of you - will you try this for a future COW? http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/17/howto-bake-dashboard.html

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home