Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More Attorney Breeding: Or How My Cat Became a Superhero

I think this is the year of the attorney baby. It's the fourth one at my firm, and fifth one overall this year. Crazy.

Anyway, the latest one at the firm happened yesterday.

A little girl. And honestly I didn't find out that this guy's wife was pregnant until two weeks ago.

And then I promptly forgot until we got the announcement email from the one woman in the firm that seems to be the official Baby Announcer.*

Now I don't know this attorney very well. He works in Real Estate--which is the other half of our floor. But he's very nice--always offering to carry the 5 gallon water jug for me when I take the initiative to change it when I take the last glass or I'm changing it for some jackass that has decided to take the last glass and not replace the jug.

I never take him up on the offer, but it's sweet of him to offer. (I changed that water jug when I was 36 weeks pregnant with Moochie. I think I can handle it.)

But when I saw this link on the CRAFT blog, I thought it would make a perfect little something to make his little girl.

I had my doubts cutting it out--it looked awfully small.

Although I know I have large headed boys, the neckhole looked really teeny too.

The pattern already accounted for an 8mm seam allowance, so I thought that would help make at least the neckhole bigger.

100_7349

Hmmmm.

100_7350

I like to think my wrists aren't that fat--but this bib fit nicely around my wrist with just a bit of room to spare.

Big fail.

It's a nicely written very simple pattern, but I don't think I printed the original pattern full size.

It then ocurred to me that I could just take one of Moochie's bibs, trace that, and make a bib.

100_7353

Did I mention it too is reversible?

100_7354

Love it!!

I whipped up a little card and tied it together with a ribbon and voila!

100_7355

A quick 1 hour (if you don't eff up the first attempt) reversible bib!

Kudos to the original pattern for inspiring me!

Luckily the fail bib wasn't a waste.

100_7351

Ha ha! Super Squeaky!!!!

100_7352

Super Squeaky's superpower is laservision!

And before I go, as long as I'm on the topic of bibs. A certain someone who has been drooling a lot lately has cut his first tooth.

100_7338

Can someone tell me where I can find the "pause" button on the 2008 Moochie model? I can't seem to find it!

*Unless your baby is born during a massive snowstorm and everyone at the office wusses out and goes home early and then complains that you didn't call the office to say you had had your baby. But I'm not bitter.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's an awesome bib! I love the fabric - very modern!

The picture of Sneaky with the bib on is too funny! I love cats - did I mention that black and white cats are my favorite? I'm still insulted that my local animal shelter announced a sale on cats (they have too many cats) and that black and white cats or solid black ones were on sale for $15 each, while other colored cats were on sale for $55! I'd take a black and white cat over a boring tabby or calico any day!

And Moochie's first tooth - too cute! Babies always look so cute when they get those first one or two teeth. And now you'll get to have the joy of Moochie biting you when you nurse him (my baby niece is fond of doing it to my sister when she nurses).

10:39 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I was thinking that would work as s doll bib - but a kitty superhero cape works as well!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

He is the cutest :)

I love the bib. You did a wonderful job on it. It looks much better than the semi-circle jobber, but hey, Super Kitty doesn't mind.

8:16 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

great bib! love the outtake as well.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I like your version better too!

And Moochie....omg, he's SO cute.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Stickyfingers said...

LOVE your version. You = genius. Why didn't I think of this? Sweet Pea will have new bibs. Ones that are not comically short. I even have plastic stuff to make them waterproof - just put it between the layers!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Hooray for Moochie's first tooth!

Both bibs are way cute -- excellent re-purposing of the micro-bib.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

love love loveeeeeeeeee the cookies and the bib and the fat cheeks on that baby. i just wanna eat him and the cookies up!! not so much the bib. but it's totally adorable.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Moochie looks like the happiest baby ever! No small feat when teeth are coming up.

Great bib and the fabric is awesome. Gotta say the superhero cat is hilarious. He doesn't look particularly thrilled.

chickpea sewing studio has an easy free baby bib pattern.

5:37 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I think Squeaky's talent is willingness to wear a bib....

7:51 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I knit up a pair of socks for a coworker (that I don't know well) but have yet to give them up. We have had an awful lot of babies this year. Must be a good one for social workers, too. Social workers and lawyers are taking over the world.

8:03 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

How cute is that? I love the shape of the first one. Too bad the size didn't work out. But the second one is fabulous! Love the reversibility of it.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It may not be that you printed the pattern up wrong size...some times the going from the computer to print will resize the pattern. I had that problem with my EQ. But you found a great way to the next best thing!! Super Cute!! Squeaky is also Super Cute!

Moochie's first tooth!!! I hope you wrote it on the calendar!
Love, Mom

10:58 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Wait a minute...a tooth already! Hehe..time flies huh! I just love that fabric you used for the bib! Heh..super kitty will keep it's fur clean now ;)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Cute bib! And I love Super Squeeky with his lazervision. Does he also have the ability to wake sleeping humans with a single paw?

7:07 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Super Squeaky is awesome! Nicely done on the bib, too!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

It's the Cone of Shame!

10:57 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Moochie is soooo cute!! Don't you just want to squish his cheeks!!!

Fabulous bib!! Perfect gift!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home