Monday, July 06, 2009

Stroll Around The Grounds Until You Feel At Home

I haven't posted a pot garden update in a while.

These pictures are all from about two weeks ago...but not too much has changed.

100_7252

The crock-pot impatiens have done swimmingly. Sometimes when it was rained really hard in June, they were literally doing that in their crockpot...

You'll also see the lettuce there. It bolted and I cut it back. It's started to resprout again like it did last year. We'll see how it does now that it's actually getting hot out.

100_7253

Next up primroses, the hardy mum, and peas.

Primroses are done blooming for the year I believe and have really filled their pot. I'll probably give her a bigger pot next year. The hardy mum has really taken off. I've noticed a few yellow leaves though this past week--I got lulled into not having to water my pot garden in all of June and I need to remember to go out there at night and water!

And the peas? Well they're done for. It's too hot. They made for great drive-by snacking. I harvested about six mature peas that are currently drying in the windowsill. I'll plant them next spring.

100_7254

The offspring of my 2008 Mother's Day marigold. I hope to get some seeds from this one as well for next year.

100_7259

My taters and cukes. Taters are doing good and I've got two cukes. The only problem--I get weird round cukes that are about as long as my thumb. Weird. Maybe because they're in a pot? Who knows. Same thing happened last year too.

100_7258

A mess of bachelor buttons (that just started blooming this week!) and a pumpkin.

What's not shown are my squash plant, radishes (massive FAIL) and oregano. I love the oregano. But I'm finding little oregano sproutlets in my other pots. It's one hardy weed!!

Finally, I'll leave you with my favorite little pot.

100_7257

Remember the herb sale fundraiser I blogged about that Chunky's school was having?

It was $1 an herb. I sent in my order for basil and rosemary.

He came home with two yogurt cups with oregano and chives.

Allegedly the basil and rosemary were all sold out. Never mind that I returned my order form the following day after he brought it home. I figure the Soprano Moms at his school are part time basil racketeers and "bought" it first.

Anyway, the offerings he did bring home were pathetic. Whomever what overseeing the child labor fundraising of having the kids plant the seeds did a piss poor job.

Yogurt cups was a great idea--nice way to recycle.

But they neglected to punch holes in the bottom of the cups for proper drainage.

And the "dirt" yes, I used quotation marks there, was more like sand.

I mean OK, they were $1 each. You get what you pay for. But like I told Chunky, I would have been just as happy had they taken my $2 and I got nothing. Instead I get these pathetic Charlie Brown cups of chives and oregano (that should have been basil and rosemary) with seedlings clinging to life in a slurry of wet sand.

But much to my surprise, the little herbs are thriving and doing quite well. I had to take back all the grumbling I did.

And the best part? Oregano and chives are perennials. They'll come back next year. Basil does not.

Suck on that Soprano Moms!!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Heh. the oregano will grow well on a windowsill. At least my mom's did

9:33 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I have oregano sprouting all over my yard. It, and the chives, have taken over my back herb garden ;). Oregano is worse than the peppermint ... which has also spread out all over the place. Gotta love those perennials ;).

I love your garden! And anytime anyone wants to tell me what they can't do, I point them here ;).

10:21 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

My cucumbers in a pot are growing round and fat as well - I've wondered myself if it has something to do with how they are not laying flat on the ground.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oregano will take over *everything* if you're not careful. My father in law planted 2 little plants in a 16" planter, and by the end of the summer, they had filled it. When they passed it off to us, it took two of us and a shovel to thin it out to put a bit of mint and basil in. Since then, it has proceeded to kill the basil and force the mint to become more of a vine traveling off the side.
Oregano is out of control, LOL.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Stickyfingers said...

We had a really persistent chive in our rose garden once. Took us two years, four diggings, and a LOT of pulling to finally get it out. Sometimes it haunts me, I think I see it peeking out.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Garden looks good. I'm with you about the cucumbers-they like to have room. The marigolds will seed well. I have volunteer marigolds sprouting up in my flower pots. If you want more seeds, I'll dry some this Fall & send. Love, Aunt Susan

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Weird about the cukes, maybe next year you can build a big box for them to give them a little more root room.
My little veggie garden stunk this year, we got one tomato then had that horrid heat wave that sucked the life out of it all.
I love chives, I guess you lucked out with that switch.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice garden, Mrs. Robinson! I'll echo others on how invasive oregano and chives can be. The smackdown between them in one pot ought to be interesting -- they may just wander off and take over adjacent pots.

Cukes are one of the hardest veggies to grow well -- they're very sensitive. Some varieties form globes, others grow long.

10:17 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Maybe your cukes had a little too much pot and it stunted their growth. Or they were just too stoned to make it out of the globe stage. Hehehehehehehe.

12:43 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Chives will get fun purple flowers too!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Sweet garden! Maybe I should try oregano since I killed everything else, haha!

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Beverly said...

My mom used to make me "harvest" the seeds from her marigolds every year. I don't think she ever used them. For years there were jars full of marigold seeds in the garage, dried out and useless. Hopefully you'll have some luck replanting yours next year.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

The 'back 40' looks good this year.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Yes! Those chives once they get going will take off like a rocketship! Mine are anyway. I Have split them up twice now and they are just getting bigger and bigger!! But I like the purple flowers and I like chives.
Love, Mom

10:41 PM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

I hope some DEA agent doesn't google "pot garden".

10:17 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Fresh herbs - yum! I have yet to successfully grow a plant. Either I forget to water them or my kids overwater them, and kill them.

Ha, ha about the child labor! When my kids were going to after-school care at their Catholic school, the teachers would sometimes have the after-school care kids stuff envelopes for programs at the church. Sheesh!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Next year I am doing a pot garden lol My youngest had beans from school and we moved them from their cup to one of the big pots in the yard and they have done so well. I think too for me the pots would seem like much less work then some big garden.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home