Monday, August 03, 2009

4G

This week's cookie of the week was very special.

100_7439
Mmm...bananas, chocolate chips, peanuts and peanut butter!

Bananaramas.

Because it's been a cruel, cruel summer (weather wise at least the past few weeks that is!). Ha ha!

Now that you have that song stuck in your head, let me explain why these were very special cookies.

These were the cookies I brought with us to our picnic lunch in Connecticut where we met up Grandma Great (my mom's mom) and some of you might remember Auntie Jaywalker (for whom we met up with many moons ago in Texas and she admired the Jaywalkers I was making at that time, and thus I gave them to her...).

Chunky had met Auntie Jaywalker when we went to go visit her up in Massachussets where she lives the first October we were in New Jersey.

Grandma Great was out visiting Auntie Jaywalker and it was decided that we'd meet half way between MA and NJ at Gillette Castle State Park in Connecticut (I'm too tired to link to the DEP site...)

It was a meeting of four generations!!

100_7486
4G!

I took today off to go up to CT with my boys and we had a great time! The Castle was awesome and we all enjoyed it quite a bit!

100_7450

100_7463

100_7471
All the fixtures, including the doors like this one--our favorite, were hand carved. No two doors were the same. There was also no flash photography inside the castle. Finally a kosher reason for my crappy photos! Ha ha!

100_7469
William Gillette, the stage and silent film actor that built the house, was married for 6 years. His wife died of a burst appendix and he promised her on her deathbed he'd never remarry (oh silly newlyweds!). And he didn't. But he did acquire 15 cats--and the house is peppered with various cat-knacks. Apparently he would dress his cats up and throw them birthday parties. Hee! What can I say? I'm a softie for dudes that love kitties. (I might not have married Dr. Mad Scientist if he wasn't a "cat man" himself!)

100_7461
See the trimming on this table? They're wooden beads that dangle down. The guide said they were cat toys!

100_7479
The whole castle overlooks the Connecticut river. Very pretty.

We had a great time. Moochie won't remember it--but Chunky will. He's a lucky boy indeed. I never got to meet any of my great grandparents!!!

And speaking of castles--stay tuned! I think Chubby Fiefdom will be done this week!

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

Recipe? Because I've got bananas laying on the counter right now....

I'm afraid William Gillette may have been a little too much of a cat man!

(And my verification word is quest!)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Looks like an awesome trip. I'm going to put that on my radar of local trip options.

That pic of Moochie with Dr. MS is awesome!

Blast! I will be singing that song until I go to bed!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Yeah what Janna said about too much of a cat man, but like I should be casting a stone. Look at me and my love of all things pup pup :) Cool trip!! That is neat that you live so close to so many little states that you can hop over and see them. I never knew any of my grandparents - great or not. Sad.

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I love places like that!
How cool you got the 4 generations together too :-)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a cool place. I'll have to tell Sean & Heather about it (maybe Heather already knows about it since she is from out that way). They are cat people.

Glad the reunion went well. Nice pics of all.

Love, Aunt Susan

7:43 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow, what a cool place. I love historic sites like that, with the fun backstory.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...Moochie is DrMS's son! Are you sure you didn't just put DrMS through the dryer?
Glad that the meeting went as planned. I never got to know my grandparents either. You are lucky to have them now that you are a parent yourself.
As for the cookies.....I think I put on 5 pounds just thinking of them! Love, Mom

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Karen said...

Maybe I'll have to take a day trip. Looks like a lot of fun.

I was in my late teens when my great grandfather passed away, and Danny was already about 2 when my great grandmother passed away. I'm happy she got to meet him, but sorry he won't remember her. My craftiness stems from her.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Cool place.

2:15 PM  
Blogger JRS said...

What a cool trip. There was a piece about that castle last week on NPR, and I was wondering what it looked like (thanks for posting photos!) and bummed that I never got there when I lived in Boston. Maybe someday...

7:16 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a beautiful castle! I'm a big fan of historic buildings. I love all the cat stuff - I'd have multiple cats if I could!

You and your mom and grandma all look alike, and the boys look just like Dr. MS.

I never met my great-grandparents, or either of my grandfathers (all died before I was born). My grandmothers died when I was really young, so I didn't get to know them either. My mom is my kids' last remaining grandparent (husband's mom died before I met him, and his dad died when my kids were young), so I worry about how they'll handle it when she goes.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oops, I should have said you and your aunt and grandma all look alike (I wasn't paying attention when I was reading the post)!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Great 4G family gathering! And I'm amazed by how much Moochie looks like his dad.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

doo doo doo doo.... N. will be seeing his great grandmother on our upcoming vacation; it'll be the first time she has all her grandkids and greatgrandkids around her at the same time... 4G, baby.
And, my hubs has been after me to go to Gillette Castle since we moved down here; he remembers going as a child, but hasn't been back. I guess I have to go now. Bwah ha ha ha.

Your boys are so handsome. I'm all about the cute kid pics, but it's doing nothing for my resolve to wait some more before jumping on the sibling bandwagon ;-)

8:54 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What a cool castle trip! That last pic where all three of your boys are looking in different directions is totally cracking me up.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Awesome trip and what an awesome opportunity for the boys! 4G!! Amazing!!
The cookies sound great also.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Here's the link:
http://www.ct.gov/DEP/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325204

That brings back memories. I used to spend summers with my grandparents in CT, and I think we went to Gillette Castle every year.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Neat castle! Great pics of the family too!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I love that you and Chunky got to hang out with Grandma Great and Auntie jaywalker. Four generations of your family together is special.

And almost anything made with bananas is good.....

7:20 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

I always secretly hope that someday my husband will find out that we are actually related to the folks who own that castle (same last name!) and I'll be suddenly very rich.....a girl can dream.... But very cool that you all met up there....And how bout a recipe to go with that tease of a picture, those cookies look delish!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home