Friday, August 21, 2009

50/50

Today is a special day!!!

It's the 50th Anniversary of Hawaii becoming the 50th State in the Union!

Woo!!!

Ok, I realize that most Hawaiians aren't really down with this holiday. Word on the street is they weren't too keen on joining the U.S. And my idea of worst vacation ever would be a trip to Hawaii (it's nothing personal--it's just that I hate the heat. Why the hell would I want to vacation somewhere hot???).

But as an Alaskan, I feel a kindred spirit with my Hawaiian brothers and sisters.

Only they, (and the Puerto Ricans) know the annoyance of the phrase:

Offer not valid [ or Prices may vary] in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

I even baked for the occasion.

100_7566

I'm bringing this (and another cherry-less pineapple upside down cake) to work today.

The idea to celebrate Hawaiian Statehood Day was born last week at work.

Remember the creepy panda/bear thing I knit for the attorney having a baby girl in August?

100_7152

Well we had his Man Shower (that's what we call wedding/baby showers for the dudes in the office...) last Thursday.

Only problem?

He was at the hospital where his wife was having the baby on Thursday.

Second problem?

The Cake Boss cake we had for him HAD to be eaten as he wasn't coming in on Friday and the cake wouldn't keep through the weekend.

So we had the Man Shower and ate the cake without him.

Inspired by this cake-without-the-intended-recipient around, we decided we needed to celebrate Hawaiian Statehood day as no one in the office is Hawaiian.

Ha ha!

Happy la ho'omana'o Hawaii!!!!!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha!!! You have gone on vacation to Hawaii!! I have pictures!! And it was not that HOT! It was in the begining of April.
Happy 50/50 Day!!
Love, Mom

8:22 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

That is hilarious! On all counts.

I back your mom on this, in December? We wore sweaters on the Big Island...there's even snow on the mountain and the kids would go snow boarding!

You want a cool windy vacation with tropical drinks? Go to the Islands in January-April, you won't die of heat stroke, promise :).

8:46 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

On my Hawaiian trips (3-4 when I worked at UCLA, all with volleyball), I don't remember it being Hot. Labor Day weekend, usually. One in December. There's always a breeze going, so even if it is warm, the trade winds keep it from being Hot.

Nice job on the cake! Verification word is "floopp" I just think that's funny.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Your office sounds awesome.

And if you want a cool vacation, don't come to Texas. But you knew that already.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Sounds like a good place to work. Party for no reason? Sure why not. My kind of place

2:22 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That cake looks delicious.

Hawaii isn't HOT,HOT and they have lovely island breezes to cool you off so give it a try (again)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, your coworkers sure are lucky you like to bake!

I would love to go to Hawaii, I don't care how hot it is! My husband and I went to Key West and the Bahamas many, many years ago, before we had kids. It was two weeks before Christmas, 80 degrees, sunny, with roses blooming, and coconuts growing on the palm trees. I have no desire to live some place like Florida year round, but boy, would it be nice to own a winter home there.

6:32 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Okay - I've only been to Hawaii once and it was in May, but I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near as hot as San Antonio.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Great idea! I love pineapple upside down cake. And it's hard to blame the Hawaiians for not being thrilled at joining.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Awesome unwanted holiday to celebrate! I'm not a big fan of pineapples, but you actually make them look good!

I'm Puerto Rican but never lived in Puerto Rico. I can't relate!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I want that cake! I live in the heat and dislike it very much!

11:26 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Love the cake!! And the celebration!

1:20 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Somehow, I didn't realize that Hawaii and I share a birthday. Thanks for pointing it out!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Omigod! You're involved in some of the craziest schemes I've ever seen. Makes me wonder who brought up the whole Hawaii statehood thing, and methinks, possibly, there was a strong "Bezzie" element in the planning ;).

By the way, pineapple upside-down cake is my husband's FAVORITE cake. He gets it once a year - on his birthday - and he prefers it sans cherries ;). I learned to make pineapple upside-down cake just for him :).

11:04 AM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

I'm with you...I could never figure out why anyone would go to Hawaii, although hubby's been a few times on business. I hate heat. I don't like beaches. Can't stand tourist destinations. And I hear it's expensive as all get-out.

I once had to sit through vacation slides of hubby's friends and their trip to Hawaii. Why do people do that? The wife (whom I can't stand anyway) went on for two hours about how beautiful it was, how much they enjoyed it, how wonderful, and I kept thinking, Better you than me, chickie poo.

Cake looks loverly! What, no poi??

9:31 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Well, I want to go to Hawaii. I think I would really enjoy it; however, I think I better wait until I am post menopausal -- hee - because the heat and I are not getting along right now. And, pineapple upside down cake! Sweet, I love it :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Pineapple Upside-Down cake is not only one of the best cakes of all time, it is one of the best foods, period.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I want to make pineapple upside-down cake now.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Happy 50/50 Day! Pineapple upside down cake is perfect to mark the day -- the Dole family was instrumental in the overthrow of the Hawaiian government. Nowadays people in Hawai'i resent annexation and support the troops and are incensed at birthers and warmly welcome visitors.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home