Wednesday, August 05, 2009

My Kingdom For A Sweater

I finished my version of "Skinny Empire" by Wendy Bernard.

Go look it up on The Place That Shall Not Be Named if you want to see 87 other examples of this sweater.

I love top down sweaters.

And I love Wendy Bernard's patterns.

I am not in love with this sweater.

100_7491

I can't even begin to tell you what a disappointment this was to try on.

I don't know if it's the five post-Moochie pounds I'm hauling around, but I feel like a stumpy dumpy cow in this sweater. It's supposed to be form-fitting and flattering. It is anything but on me.

100_7493
Now with more grabbable love handles!

I hate the modification I did at the waist thinking it would look better than the technique the pattern called for. 90% of the examples of this waist technique on The Place That Shall Not Be Named looked crappy in my opinion.

100_7494

The pattern called for picking up some stitches five rows down and kind of creating this "roll" that would be the empire waist.

In 10% of the pictures on TPTSNBN and in the pattern pictures, the roll turned out OK. The other 90% the roll was wavy and ripply and just sloppy looking.

Not that my 1X1 ribbing looks any better.

Speaking of sloppy--yeah, that would be my neckline too.

100_7495

It's supposed to be a ruffly neckline. Yeah. Not so much with mine. It looks like an 8 year old just learned how to bind off stockinette and it's rolling onto itself. Ugh. No signs of anything ruffly here.

The details--

Pattern: Skinny Empire by Wendy Bernard in Custom Knits

Yarn: Mirasol Tupa in "Jade" a lovely 50/50 merino/silk mix. Not too happy with this yarn. It's regularly $10+ a skein for a piddly 137 yards. I got it at a Yarn for All Seasons during one of their super-yearly sales. I think I got five skeins for $30? Something close to that. Taking the price into consideration the fact that it was pilly straight off the skein was a disappointment. I guess that's the price you pay for a softer wool.

Needles: US5--to get what I thought was gauge. Yes, I actually swatched and got gauge. I guess I'm not as fat as I think I am.

Notes: Aside from the above modifications, I guess it was fun to knit. I really should have tried it on as I went. But that would have meant removing all the stitches to waste yarn and then transferring them and blah blah, bottom line, I'm lazy. I'm very much a process knitter. I will not rip this piece of shit up. I'll probably bury it in my sweater drawer or perhaps just chuck it in the Goodwill clothes bin next time I'm in the neighborhood of that bin.

I guess it's all good. This sweater is from a yarn that would have required handwashing. As it is I hate handwashing a few of my handknit socks. I probably wouldn't have worn it even if it did fit.

Ah well. Let me give it a thumb's down and move on to the next project.

100_7496

Labels:

27 Comments:

Anonymous marymac said...

Your tiara, on the other hand, is fabulous. :)

8:36 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Aww. Wah wah wahhhhh I wish this would have worked out for you. =(

10:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It sucks to put so much work into something and have it not work out! I still don't think you look chubby though - you look quite thin compared to me!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

You know I love the top part of this. I think you should cut it and add a cute skirt to it in fabric. The collar, you can hide with a funky scarf.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know till you started to point out all of the sweaters falts I really thought it looks quite good on you! Love handles???? You don't even know the meaning of those words!!! When you can hide a Moochman for NINE months I don't think you have any Love Handles. But when you knit/sew for yourself and you are not confortable in the item it is better to just give it away and move on to the next thing. Love, Mom
PS: My word verification is wrote?! So I wrote!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

I hate that when I make something and it is not up to what I consider par.

The yarn is pretty :) Frog it and re-use the yarn for something else!

4:11 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Crap. I hate being disappointed in something I've made. Love the tiara, though.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the color of the sweater. Goes great with the tiara. Love, Aunt Susan

7:30 AM  
Blogger LeftCoast Knits said...

I just hate when that happens- you finally finish your project, and all aglow with visions of how great it is going to be, you run to the mirror to try it on, and.... ugh, it looks terrible. At least the tiara looks super-cool!

7:46 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

it looks too big on you. did you alter the neckline to be less scoopy or did it just turn out that way? i always try on the sweater to make sure i have the right amount of raglan increases b/c if you have too many it starts to get ugly fast.

it's a very pretty color--too bad it didn't work out.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

*sigh* this is why I'm scared to start even a cardigan. Horror stories where gauge is achieved but sweater winds up just wrong.
(I do like green, though.)

I would make an attempt, however, if I could get a tiara as a consolation prize. Sparkly = good.

8:55 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I agree with your mom -- I thought it looked good, too, until you started pointing out the things you don't like.

I'll agree that the neckline is a little wonky, but I think the body of the piece looks fine. Maybe you could tame the neckline with some sort of pin. Or a shawl pin sorted of inserted at an angle....

10:39 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Just went and looked at the pattern on Ravelry. The ruffled neckline is applied, right? Could you remove it and try again -- maybe use the plain neckline some used, or maybe icord?

10:43 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

And this is why you'll never see Poops wearing a sweater she made herself.

It's bad enough when I can go into a store and try on sweater after sweater and have to put them back. If I spent that much time and money into something that looked like crap on me, my head would explode.

Therein lies the joy of baby sweaters. No matter how crappy they come out, you put 'em on a baby and you got instant cuteness!

12:00 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Well that sucks. You should recycle the yarn tho.

And honestly, I don't think it looks bad on you!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yeah, not your biggest success. You could do it again a lot smaller. I'd still go with the ribbing to define the empire waist, but I'd make it more like 1.5" of ribbing, so it will really pull in a bit.

Or move on to something else.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

I think you just chose a too big size too, though you do not, by any stretch, look like a tubla (as my late sithu (grandmother) used to say.

Also many of those photos on "The Place That Shall Not Be Named" look like the empire "waist" is too low. It should be just below the girls. and lots of them look like it is just above the natural waist. Not a good look if your belly is not your best feature (as in my case).

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Beverly said...

After going through all that kitting I understand your desire to bury it and not fix it. I can think of a couple things you could do to fix it if you wanted to go there. Send it to me and I'll fix it for you :)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Darn! It almost looks like it fits until below your ribbing area. I know your pain. But, yaknow...iffin you have 2 circs (long ones) you can put them on half the stitches and try it on and just knit it off. Heck, I'd send it to Beverly to fix though ;)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

The tiara is just awesome!

Can you wear it with one of those thick belts around your waist? You're thin enough to pull it off and it'll give the shirt some shape by cinching it.

6:12 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Sorry it didn't work out for you! Can you redo the neckline so it's ribbed instead of rolly?

Me, I'd frog and re-use the yarn. I'm actually thinking of doing that with the Raspy fiasco from way back when, since I haven't even worn that train wreck around the house since it was finished!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Ripping is also a process...well, it helps me process :). And think and re-think and plot and plan what I reaaaaally want to do with a project that just isn't working right...

Or send it to Beverly to fix ;).

7:17 PM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

I've been meaning to make that Empire sweater, it is pretty, did you make the right size? I do love the color though!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

What a piss off. All that work and it isn't what you envisioned. I hate that. Cool tiara, though :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

For what it's worth, it doesn't look that bad, but if it makes you feel dumpy then its definitely frog worthy. Your modification looks good in the pic, it's only the neckline and the fact that the bottom is a bit wide, but its a great color on you.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Too bad. Even the tiara isn't making you look any happier.

8:57 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Oh, suck. Sorry it didn't work out. This is a visual to explain where my sweater mojo has gone. Whether I continue to haul around the 50-ish lbs I've gained since moving home or send them back where they came from, my socks will still fit. Good luck on your next project!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home