Sunday, August 09, 2009

Salsa Saturday, Sewing Sunday

I think the title says it all.

I hit the farmers' market for tomaters because I had a wicked craving for some Jersey tomato salsa.

100_7518

I spread an afghan on the kitchen floor (this place might have squirrels in the leaky ceiling and mold, but the kitchen is huge) and my two helpers observed the operation.

100_7521

I tried to tell Moochie that you eat the salsa, not the jar box.

100_7519

I got a decent yield--6.5 pints.

100_7522

Today, I hauled out The Beast.

First, and there are no pictures of this, I mended my underwear. Yes, one might say this is the pinnacle of cheapassedness. However, it's more that I'm lazy. I cannot freaking STAND underwear shopping.

I went granny-panty shopping a few weeks before I had Moochie in anticipation of recovery (it all has to do with waistbands and incisions) and my head nearly exploded. So many cuts/styles, so many colors, so many sizes, so many prices--UGH!

I figured sewing up the ones I love and wear now would prolong me from having to repeat the experience.

But on to the good stuff!

100_7528
Yeah, yeah, so I can't really sew a straight line...

I saw a link for this on Christina's blog and one that she had made.

It's a fidget square or Baby Crinkle Square.

Basically you sew a square with a piece of plastic, in my case some old plastic tissue/wrapping paper I had saved from who knows where, between two pieces of fabric and you put little ribbon tabs around it.

Simple and easy. And seeing as Mooch loves the crinkle and is a big tag/ribbon sucker I knew I had to make one.

I think he likes it.

100_7530

100_7531

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Discoknits said...

IMG his legs are SO squishable

9:57 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

So I totally just special ordered some grannie panties for my mom from JC Penny as they seem to be the last bastion for the specific style and need that she has...and as I looked around for me? Yep, it's just scary that I was sewing up my own underpants this weekend...I swear I wasn't stalking you to try and copy-cat or anything...it's just a small cheapass world :).

1:21 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

He is too freaking cute.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I only buy one style of one brand of undies. That way I know I like it, etc. the traditional 2nd anniversary gift is cotton...so ma decided she will be giving us undies for it, don't tell hubby yet !LOL he will be embarrassed but laugh anyway. Love it! He is particular as well *eye roll*

That looks like a good cat toy as well!!

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks to me likeMoochie really likes the new toy. As for repairing the underwear....Is that as bad as darning your socks? I just finished darning most of my socks. They had holes in the toes and a couple of them had some really thin heels. Besides my socks are those cool ones that you jsut don't want to throgh away! Love, Mom

8:16 AM  
Blogger janna said...

At first, I thought you said you mended IN your underwear, so I wondered if it was still really hot there! But I don't blame you for mending your underwear. I find a style I like and buy LOTS of them. Then I don't have to buy more underwear for years. Of course, by then, they've stopped making the style I like, so I have to start over...

9:22 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Your ribbon toy came out so cute!

Nice yield on the salsa. I can't wait for the farmer's markets in Jersey. If you hear delighted squealing at a farmer's market. That'll be me.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

awww great lil squishy ribbon toy! Hehe I dislike bra shopping as much as underwear, I know your pain ;)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Awesome looking tomatoes! We'll be lucky to get tomatoes this year with the blight hitting about half of the local farms. Oh, well. Sucks to be us ;).

Hey, I like that baby-thingy!

And as for the repairing your underwear ... you can ask my husband about that! I repaired several pairs of his, and he was happy with the results ;).

10:27 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Crinkle square, now that's ingenious!

P.S. My verification word is squirt. Hehehehehehehe. Squirt.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Yummy salsa!
Mooch is so cute- those things are great toys too!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

why spend money if you don't have to? And I think that crinkle square thing just might make a good cat toy. Especially if I can figure out how to make a tube like object out of it. Hmmmm

2:40 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

He's getting so big!! So freakin' cute.

5:25 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Goodness those two cuties are beyond cute!!!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home