Sunday, August 23, 2009

Staycation All I Ever Wanted

I started working when I was sixteen going on seventeen and innocent as a rose.

I am 31 now.

Aside from popping out Chunky and Moochie--I have never taken a whole week off of work.

I took a week of half days once I think back in 2001.

This week my Summer House Husband Dr. Mad Scientist will be assisting in teaching a summer school class in Newark wherein he will be wading around the Passaic River in Newark with a bunch of high schoolers. This skeeves me out on so many levels. Maybe they'll find Hoffa.

With Dr. Mad Scientist splashing around at a superfund site, someone had to watch the boys.

Since I had 8 days of leave to burn and all the Jewish Holy Days appear to land on weekends this year (meaning daycare will be open and I won't have to take them off...) and I figured what the heck.

Obviously I don't take many days off. I'll go ahead and burn 5 and spend a week with my non-hairy boys before school/daycare start up in two weeks.

Part of the agenda this week was cleaning out the closet off the living room. I boxed up baby clothes (one box will be Freecycled) and got my crafty stuff in order.

100_7574

Somehow, I have acquired a teeny fabric stash. This can't be good.

Now with the closet in order, next up is cleaning up and re-arranging Chunky's room so we can move Moochie in there with him.

And speaking of Chunky and school--he finished up his summer homework this week. Only to find in the mail an assignment from his new teacher.

He was pretty pissed until he read the directions.

Included in the envelope was a little cutout of a person. You had to decorate the person to look like you using whatever you wanted--crayons, markers, fabric, yarn, buttons, etc.

So without further adieu, I give you Flat Chunky:


100_7575

Ha ha! With real denim jeans!

Yeah, he definitely got my crafty genes.

Labels: , , , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I LOVE flat Chunky. What a great idea.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Wow, they let the teacher know who she has in her class 2 weeks before school starts? I usually got my list a day before, and addresses??!?? I might be a titch jealous...if i was still teaching that is :).

What an awesome project too! Must share that one.

Yey staycation! Time off is always good. Especially if you can spend time with the little guys :).

12:46 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Seriously love Flat Chunky (hehehe...the name alone is awesome, but add the craftiness...perfect!).

Have a fabulous staycation!!

2:48 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

That Flat Chunky is awesome. I think that's the best idea.

I hope you enjoy your staycation with the boys... we're on our last day of vacation at my parents (2 weeks, including 4 days of driving), and I can't decide if I'm ready to go back or not :P

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flat Chunky! That is soooooo cute! Glad that homework wasn't the three RRR's!

You call that a "Fabric Stash"!!!! Come on you have to do better than that!!

Love, Mom

9:07 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm going to have that song stuck in my head now, thanks a lot!!

Flat Chunky is awesome! Good job!

9:43 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Yeah, I'm hopelessly dual-stashed. Fabric and yarn. I have a bit of a cross stitch stash too, but it takes up so little real estate that I'm not going to worry about it.

And my basement (aka the Dungeon, aka Quilt Central) is in desperate need of a weed-and-organize. Perhaps after I enter Unemployment Land next week? Enjoy your week with your boys!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Gosh, he really does have your genes. And it sorta does resemble him!!

And I have to say, I adore "staycations". Always have.

10:30 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh a fabric stash. i recall the days when my stash was teeny, but those days are long gone.

11:10 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

What a fun assignment! (the Flat Chunky, not cleaning out your stash. Is that a purple beret he's wearing?

3:10 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

If you're interested in trading flat travelers with a homeschooling family in Maine, let me know :).

Among the things Flat Chunky would see is the collection of the "World's Largest ..." and includes a boot, a globe and a chocolate moose ;).

3:20 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I love Flat Chunky. :o)

4:51 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Flat Chunky is awesome! I hope we see him regularly.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Kelli said...

Flat Chunky instantly made me giggle.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Flat Chunky is awesome! I love staycations. We lose our vacation time at work if its not used in a year, so I usually do 2 weeks of staycation every year.

Blast! The GoGos are stuck in my head now.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love flat Chunky! I wondered if he will have adventures this school year.

Enjoy your time off...you deserve it!

Love, Aunt Susan

7:50 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I almost never take a whole week off at one time. I took 5 days off around Em's surgery but they were spread out.

This year, we're taking a whole week around our anniversary off. No plans. Just time (we'll probably sleep all week)

8:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What??? You've NEVER taken a whole week off from work??? What's wrong with you, woman?! I had 22 days of vacation at my last "real" job and I made sure I used every last one of them. Boy, do I miss having a job with vacation time. Sigh... You deserve some time off, and especially time off with the boys before school starts. Enjoy!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Hate to tell you this Bezzie, but that's not a 'teeny' fabric stash. It's small, but respectable. Now that it's in that nice neat closet, just watch how it breeds. ;)

12:43 AM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

That is awesome - his teacher will love it!

6:27 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

OMG, Flat Chunky is AWESOME. Love his beret!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Glad you are getting some time off! Cool Flat Chunky! If you need a volunteer to have FC visitLMK! (when mine did this, we didn't have many peeps to mail to)

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Happy Birthday and happy vacation!!!

6:46 AM  
Blogger SHELLY said...

Will Flat Chunky be travelling?

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home